• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

f650cs transmission question and raggedness

scroungelady

I purchased a 2003 f650cs last year on eBay. Overall it has been a good, though raggedy looking bike. I don't think the previous owner put a high priority on maintenance. As a result, I have some questions about it:
1. There is no first gear. It doesn't grind, but it is as if there never was one. The shift lever does not move to first gear position. The rest of the gears work fine, but I'm tired of always starting in second. Any suggestions are welcome.
2. The bike must have spent time near the ocean. Evidence of pitting on the frame and forks. Any suggestions for the pitting on the fork tubes, besides occasional 000 steel wool?

I purchased a 2003 f650cs last year on eBay. Overall it has been a good, though raggedy looking bike. I don't think the previous owner put a high priority on maintenance. As a result, I have some questions about it:
1. There is no first gear. It doesn't grind, but it is as if there never was one. The shift lever does not move to first gear position. The rest of the gears work fine, but I'm tired of always starting in second. Any suggestions are welcome.
2. The bike must have spent time near the ocean. Evidence of pitting on the frame and forks. Any suggestions for the pitting on the fork tubes, besides occasional 000 steel wool?

I don't have any suggestions on the transmission, but it doesn't sound good. If your fork tubes are pitted there is a good chance your seals will be leaking. If they are, or do in the near future, some cheap gators (covers for the fork tubes) will help eliminate that problem...or it did on my 650GS's. Good luck!

F650cs repairs

Thanks for the suggestion. I did email Rotax in Austria about the transmission. The response was that the shifter may be stuck, but the cases would need to be split in order to determine the source of the problem. He also included a diagram of some things to look for when the engine case is removed. I know the motor will need to be opened but thought others may have had the same experience. I will give an update after it is worked on. The fork seals have just been replaced. Are there fork gaiters available that don't require the forks to be removed? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Some people have had luck with cleaning out the pitted area, then using superglue to fill the area, and sanding down.

You may look at Acerbis Upper Fork Guard's - they use velcro to close over the tubes. I think they should be long enough.

Pitted forks

Some people have had luck with cleaning out the pitted area, then using superglue to fill the area, and sanding down.

You may look at Acerbis Upper Fork Guard's - they use velcro to close over the tubes. I think they should be long enough.

That is a good suggestion. I'll look into it. The bike must have been stored near an ocean or bay. Pitting and rust spots are on other parts of the bike. Some we have sanded and painted.

Back