• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to open a 49L top case with no lock?

hobie18

I purchased a used 2004-6 era BMW top case. It was advertised as not having a key, but in fact it doesn't have a lock - the cylinder is out. I can get the latch to the luggage rack to open but cannot open the case itself. The portion of the lock mechanism that releases the top latch can be pushed in, but it acts like it's in the locked position and won't unlatch the top. I can't see what should be moved to get it to an unlocked position. Any suggestions on what to do to get the case open would be appreciated. I already bought a new lock cylinder but may be missing additional parts or may have to replace pieces if any are actually broken.

Big screwdriver (flat blade); insert into the hole left by the cylinder and turn very gently so you don’t distort the plastic collar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A "competent" locksmith can open it and re-key the lock to your ignition key for you. If it were open, there are good videos on YouTube showing how to re-key the lock to your key, but if you take it to a locksmith to open, might as well have him do the whole thing.

Back