• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm angry, thankful, and disappointed -- rear wheel almost fell off

I admire the way the shop handled this and also admire the way you handled it.

What Lee said. :thumb

Nice to read they called ya. I'm sure they were glad you and others weren't seriously hurt.
So... is there a Why as to what happened? I'm curious. Perhaps... distraction in the work environment, like a phone call...

So... is there a Why as to what happened? I'm curious. Perhaps... distraction in the work environment, like a phone call...
I'm sure it was a distraction of some sort. The dealership only has two mechanics (techs), both senior. I'm sure that several times per day a tech has to stop what he's doing and go look at another bike for any number of reasons.

I've closed this case. We all learned from this. I learned. The shop learned. If they want to offer up more info, that's fine but I'm not asking for any more info.

Impressed

At this stage I am impressed with this dealership, the tech's error notwithstanding. The service manager called on Sunday and the owner called on Monday. They are picking the bike up on Tuesday. I strongly suspect they are going to do the right things.

So let me tell a story. I lived in Lawrence, Kansas right about 50 miles from Engle Motors in Kansas City. Over the 20 or so years as a customer I had become good friends with Norman Jones, the owner, and with most of the employees. When I needed helpful advice they were just a phone call away. And on a few occasions when they needed something the phone line ran both ways.

One day I received a call from Norman. He said they had a customer who lived in Manhattan, KS, about 85 miles further west, who had called, stranded in Lawrence because he said there was oil all over his wheel and tire. He thought maybe the drain plug had fallen out of his final drive after a dealer service. He actually noticed when it started and could see the trail of oil. Norman asked me to go see what had happened. He said he would send a trailer if he needed to. I grabbed a quart of gear oil, a spare final drive drain plug, a crush washer, a bunch of rags, a spray can of brake system cleaner, and my tool bag. Sure enough the drain plug had fallen out. I found it near the start of the trail of oil. I called Norman and told him I could handle it.

I installed the drain plug with a new crush washer, filled the final drive, and cleaned the oil off the wheel and tire. We had the rider back on the road within about 30 minutes of his call to the dealership. That earned me a few more favors from the dealership over the years. :)

At this stage, I am impressed with Paul Glaves. :)

At this stage I am impressed with this dealership, the tech's error notwithstanding. The service manager called on Sunday and the owner called on Monday. They are picking the bike up on Tuesday. I strongly suspect they are going to do the right things.

So let me tell a story. I lived in Lawrence, Kansas right about 50 miles from Engle Motors in Kansas City. Over the 20 or so years as a customer I had become good friends with Norman Jones, the owner, and with most of the employees. When I needed helpful advice they were just a phone call away. And on a few occasions when they needed something the phone line ran both ways.

One day I received a call from Norman. He said they had a customer who lived in Manhattan, KS, about 85 miles further west, who had called, stranded in Lawrence because he said there was oil all over his wheel and tire. He thought maybe the drain plug had fallen out of his final drive after a dealer service. He actually noticed when it started and could see the trail of oil. Norman asked me to go see what had happened. He said he would send a trailer if he needed to. I grabbed a quart of gear oil, a spare final drive drain plug, a crush washer, a bunch of rags, a spray can of brake system cleaner, and my tool bag. Sure enough the drain plug had fallen out. I found it near the start of the trail of oil. I called Norman and told him I could handle it.

I installed the drain plug with a new crush washer, filled the final drive, and cleaned the oil off the wheel and tire. We had the rider back on the road within about 30 minutes of his call to the dealership. That earned me a few more favors from the dealership over the years. :)

That's a great story, Paul...thanks for sharing. It's a nice reminder that if we all approached life with a willingness to help when needed, what a changed world this would be.

That's a great story, Paul...thanks for sharing. It's a nice reminder that if we all approached life with a willingness to help when needed, what a changed world this would be.

There is a similar story of equal import. Voni had left Kansas riding her R80/7 headed to some family event in North Dakota. In South Dakota she noticed gear oil all over her final drive. She and her passenger (one of four sisters) then got out the Anonymous Book. The first person she called said " Hi Voni, this is xxxx, I'd love to help but I'm getting married in an hour and am a bit tied up. Call Duane at ........."

So she did. He told her where to meet him and she did. The diagnosis: the seal between the final drive and drive shaft was letting oil in the shaft to overfill the final drive. So it puked oil out the vent. He cleaned it up. He told her if it happened again to just clean it up, add a little to the shaft housing, and motor on. She did. It did. She did. And after a couple of thousand miles she was back home and I replaced a seal. That is the essence of the BMW MOA as I knew it then and know it now!

Last edited:
I want to wrap up this thread . . .

I got my R1100S back from the dealership yesterday. They did $1200 worth of replacement parts and labor. New rear disc, new rear caliper, and associated parts. I am very pleased.

Now that this is over (and behind me) I would like to mention the dealership's name: IronHorse M/C in Tucson, AZ. Throughout this entire thread I never mentioned their name. If they hadn't done the right thing I would have just let them go, un-named. But since they did everything right after the incident I want them to get that credit.

EOT (End of Thread)

I want to wrap up this thread . . .

I got my R1100S back from the dealership yesterday. They did $1200 worth of replacement parts and labor. New rear disc, new rear caliper, and associated parts. I am very pleased.

Now that this is over (and behind me) I would like to mention the dealership's name: IronHorse M/C in Tucson, AZ. Throughout this entire thread I never mentioned their name. If they hadn't done the right thing I would have just let them go, un-named. But since they did everything right after the incident I want them to get that credit.

EOT (End of Thread)

Thank you. Good people deserve good recognition.

Thanks for the wakeup call! I think what I'm going to do from henceforth is when I go to pick up the bike after new tires are installed will simply request a recheck of each bolts tightness up to torque spec while I observe. It should only take a minute or two and at the prices charged what the heck. My hunch is that oftentimes tire changes might go to someone less experienced that the master mechanic taking on more difficult work, so perhaps the odds go up of a mishap because of this.

Cheers

Back