• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200RT Charging System

rftwrg

My 2015 R1200RT has had 4 batteries (OEM, Yuasa, OEM, Interstate) in its short (36K miles) life, the newest being an "Interstate" battery meant for an ATV. It was the only thing available where I was when my second BMW OEM battery died while on a trip to Angel Fire, NM. Yesterday, after returning home and parking the bike in its stable, I immediately plugged in the BMW OEM Battery Charger whereupon the display (after recognizing that it was now attached to the battery through the front socket) immediately showed a voltage of 14.7 volts.

My question....is the bike's charging system overcharging the battery and is that why I've had to replace them so often? Currently, the charger shows Full at 14.0 Volts with a trickle charge of 0.2A.....

We can figure this out but you’ve got to make some measurements. 14V and 0.2A doesn’t reflect a charged battery.

Do you have any electrical add-ons?

Leave the bike off the charger for 24 hours and measure the voltage at the battery terminals, what is it?

Just a suggestion, put a pigtail directly to the battery and connect your tender up directly to it, unless you've done that with the socket. I have noticed in the past that this circuit will turn off after the battery is brought up full charge, and then it does not turn back on again for maintenance charging. Going direct to the battery removes the bike's "smarts"...

I suspect there is something else up here, but this is the way I'm connected on my 15 RT, and still on battery #1. I went 8 years on battery #1 on my 05 RT doing it this way, however YMMV.

Battery Charging while in bike

I don’t know how many owners realize this, but you can charge your bike battery directly (bypassing the bike electronics) by removing the right side cover that is removed to install the battery. I think there are two screws and a grommet. With the cover removed, you will notice one bolt painted red with a major cable attached, this is the bikes Positive terminal. The battery’s negative terminal is also easily accessible. Carefully attach your charger and you have a direct connection.
I own a 2014 RT with 36,000 miles and am still on battery one.

Are these batteries failing a load test after attempting to recharge them? I replaced my GS at 4 years preventively and my 1300 GT finally failed a load test at over 6 years.

It sounds like your batteries are going down quickly. However, does this year use a FOB? I believe a FOB left within a few feet of the bike keeps more circuits alive ready to start. True also with cars but most cars have more Amp Hours available than our bikes. As I read in the ON BMW is putting lower Amp Hour batteries in our bikes to save weight.

Of course a FOB should not take a battery down over just one night.

voltage data logger??

My 2015 R1200RT has had 4 batteries (OEM, Yuasa, OEM, Interstate) in its short (36K miles) life, the newest being an "Interstate" battery meant for an ATV. It was the only thing available where I was when my second BMW OEM battery died while on a trip to Angel Fire, NM. Yesterday, after returning home and parking the bike in its stable, I immediately plugged in the BMW OEM Battery Charger whereupon the display (after recognizing that it was now attached to the battery through the front socket) immediately showed a voltage of 14.7 volts.

My question....is the bike's charging system overcharging the battery and is that why I've had to replace them so often? Currently, the charger shows Full at 14.0 Volts with a trickle charge of 0.2A.....

Of particular interest is your alternator's charging voltage when running. You might consider temporarily installation a voltage data logger (such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lascar-EL-...m1a63260fc2:g:5ZEAAOSwaeRZLhnR&frcectupt=true) Alternatively, you could get a digital display that you could hook up to, and just visually monitor it for a few days. Such has https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Car-Ba...m363f592f4f:g:JREAAOSwGmZb-CKO&frcectupt=true

Many vehicles' charging systems are regulated to around 13.8-14.2 volts. Yuasa says charging voltages above 14.8 indicate a problem with the vehicles charging system: https://www.yuasa.it/en/information/automotive-commercial-leisure-marine/how-a-battery-works/
------------

Back