• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R65 Fuel Tank Needed

tlangman4

Hi Forum Members-

I have been fortunate to have received a lot of great help and advice from this forum, so hoping to find some magic one more time.

I recently purchased an ‘81 R65, which is proving to be more challenging than I expected. I’ve had a number of both airheads and K models, but this is my first 248/1 bike and obtaining some parts has been a lot more difficult than the 247 counterparts.

The bike has low miles (assuming to be accurate based on other items) and is original. However, the previous owner made sure that he successfully dented the fuel tank enough to make repair out of the question. I have contacted two major parts dealers for a replacement, to include RE-Psycle BMW and also Beemer Boneyard. Neither have one currently available. Ebay offerings have not appealing due to sizable dents like the one I have.

If anyone knows where I can find a ‘79-84 R65 fuel tank that is in good to very good condition, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you!!!
Tom

There are several used parts suppliers listed in the section of the link in my signature line.

That’s the same tank as the R80ST, so that may help expand your searches. Depending upon how stock-appearing you wish to keep the bike you might consider moving to the larger two-petcock tank of that era, which gives you several liters more capacity and range. Be advised that would quite possibly involve some seat modification, tho.

Best,
DG

pm me.
c8c9bc7ef8fd6eb890be0be75279a313.jpg
19412e958375eb8332bcd4cb7cdc1a0b.jpg
d9f3dadc1cf04ce930a835208df65a81.jpg
I have a very nice R65 tank I may be willing to let go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Please conduct any buying/selling outside of the technical forum. Make contact via Private Message, please!

From what I can see I wouldn't give up on that tank-it looks very good inside. A really good paintless dent repair person might be able to take that dent out. My son-in-law here in Atlanta does such work on cars up to and including Bentleys, Porches & such. He's done a few motorcycle tanks and metal fenders as well. He removed a dent from my 1984 R65's tank, incurred when my youngest son had an encounter with a young buck deer (broken collar bone for my son-AGATT! but the deer was doa). The front steering turned so far to the right that it broke the steering stop on the frame off and the forks dented the tank pretty badly. He did have to get the tank repainted (factory color) & pinstriped because it was also scuffed up. Can't tell that it was ever dented-looks better than before the accident. Rides great after new forks and front fender too. If, by chance, you do replace the tank please let me know. My tank looks great but have had to repair a couple of pinhole leaks on the bottom-the PO apparently let it sit with moisture in it & has rusted through, somewhat.

The paint scheme on that tank would be for an R65LS, which was, I think, only a 1982-'84 model. I'd definitely let my paintless dent guy have a go at bumping that out before I'd try to replace it.

I was very tired when I responded a couple of days ago & confused the pictured red tank with the one needing replacement. My son-in-law recommends Dent Time in San Diego if you're in the far west-said you can ship the tank to them.

Yes, the R65 and R65LS tanks are the same - just paint scheme - they are all single petcock tanks, too.. unlike the R80/R100 tanks from the same period that are 2 petcock tanks.
Also, just so that you know, there were some R65 models from 1986-87 but they are different beasts - still use the R65 engine, but they are in the R80/R100 monolever frames and use the monolever model tanks, which are NOT the same.

Back