• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skibum Soirée, All the way East rally. August 15-18

skibum69

slave to gravity
Here we go again, sorry I'm so late putting this up for those who need more time to plan. Last year was pretty cozy with a fairly small group but that worked out nicely as the missus decided she wanted to cook for everyone every day. We ate very well and I don't think anyone went hungry. Her fish tacos are deadly! Especially made with fresh cod caught that morning.

We had a few unexpected expenses last year and we spent plenty on food so this year there will definitely be a registration fee. As in other years I will get shirts printed on demand and with any luck will be prepared to take payment for those via paypal or e-transfer in Canada.

Keeping to the small theme Sarah and I figure we will cap numbers at 20 so she doesn't have my head for all the cooking she'll end up doing but hey, she said she wanted to.

For anyone looking for some dirt to ride I have been scoping out a few more routes in the area for a little amusement. Of course the coastal roads are amazing for plenty of pavement routes to keep people dazzled with scenery.

At least a couple of the rooms in our new moto B&B will be ready to go so those are options for any who want them, otherwise it's tents as has been the norm in previous years.

I'll add more info as I get it.

The doors to the shed will be open!
IMG_0545-S.jpg

If you need a little help figuring out where we are have a look at this. Good excuse for a little ride. If you like Interstates, it's only 3 turns to my house once you're on I95.:rofl

i-KS392Tq-S.jpg

I'd encourage anyone thinking about "Riding the Rock" to use the Soiree as a jumping off point. Mike and Sarah have a really great place in the world and you could not ask for better more gracious hosts. I was there for last years event fun was had by all, I wish I'd had more time.

Mike it was a great time, I wish I could have stayed for Sunday as well, the surfing looked like lots of fun. I gotta gauge my vacation this year, I haven't ruled out responding to this years Soiree. I was sorry to hear you might not make the MOA national this year.

I'm registered for the Rally and am signed up to give 2 presentations about Newfoundland so I guess I'll see you there?

As for my rally in past years many of most of the folks who came wanted some offroad riding. I have been tracking down a few more offroad routes for those who are interested. I'm looking at stuff that is not too technical that can be ridden on big bikes etc and can easily be extended in to multiple days of riding. The T'railway across the island is doable but not the best for a big bike. There is another route across most of the island that is easily doable on big bikes.

I'll be sure to look you up.

I'm heading south on the 8th, if your coming down before that your welcome to stay at our place, spare bedroom, hot shower, garage if needed, we're only 600 miles from the Ferry Terminal.

Thanks very much for the invite, I will keep it in mind. I'm planning to get down there a bit early to volunteer in the beer tent. Not sure which bike I'm riding yet.

Latest update is that for this small scale event Sarah has again offered to cook all meals for everyone for the rally. Jerry or Doug might chime in to tell you how well they ate last year.

Second.y as our drilled well has not been done yet we’re also go NRG to have to rent a porta potty again.

As a result to cover expenses we’ll have to charge a registration fee as we did back in the day. I used to charge $75 per head but I think $70 per head this year should cover it.

On another note, last year we went to the restaurant at Grates Cove Studios for Saturday supper, each person paid their own. Do people want to do the same again or not?

Sarah is a fantastic cook, you won’t be disappointed.

I gotta beg off this year Mike. Last year was a blast and I was looking forward to coming back. But I just put a down payment on a 2018 R1200RT in Pennsylvania, doing a drive and ride on Saturday. Ruined my budget for the foreseeable future, that will teach me to linger too long looking at bikes at the rally.

Anyone thinking of a nice vacation destination, Mike and Sarah are great hosts with a great spot in the world. Newfoundland is an interesting adventure and you off road types shouldn't discount it, there's plenty there for you as well.

Good luck.

Jerry

We sure do, are you heading this way? What are you riding? Will you bring me a nice beer from your local microbrewery?

The Hey foiler I never heard back? Are you coming? Is anyone coming? I need to know who if anyone is planning to show up as we’re going food shopping for the event. And I think we’ll be making sausages.:)

Last edited:
Back