Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USPS Informed Delivery

USPS Informed Delivery

For those unaware.... the Postal Service offers a service that will email you a daily digest of the mail scheduled for delivery to your home. In our case we get an email each morning that provides images of most pieces of mail that are out for delivery to our home. A small percentage of the items are listed as image not taken. These tend to be unsolicited advertisements or magazines. Images of packages are not provided but they are listed by tracking number and some shipper info.

The service is not available in all locations but is damn handy if you can get it. It offers some protection against mailbox thieves as well. If a listed item is not in your mail box at least you will know in short order and can take steps to mitigate the damage, or you can be present for the delivery if you expect something of special importance.

Check here to see if your location is eligible for the service and to sign-up.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I've been using USPS informed delivery for a couple of years now. I don't always receive the mail that should be delivered on the day the image comes but will usually get it at least by the next day. For today I was suppose to get two pieces of mail and two packages. I only received the two packages. I will probably get the pieces of mail tomorrow. Overall I'm pleased with the service. It helps a lot when I travel. I will receive the daily emails even when I have my mail on hold. It just lets me know that that mail would have been delivered if it wasn't on hold. It's good for reminding of bills you've forgotten about but see the image.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

We have been using it for only 3-4 months. So far I think we have received every piece of mail on the day it was shown on the daily digest.
    Kevin Huddy

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Kevin.

Does the USPS charge for this service?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Kevin, thanks for the reminder. I tried several times to enroll a year or so ago but the online verification process was not working, and USPS wanted me to provide proof of residence in the post office. My local office (4 miles away) knew absolutely nothing about Informed Delivery, and after making several calls, said I'd need to go to another office about 20 miles away. I decided it was not worth the effort. Tried again just now and the online verification (code sent via text msg to phone) went very smoothly. Some days it's not worth walking out to the mailbox. I could have saved a trip last Thursday, all recycling material.
    informed.jpg
    Last edited by lkraus; 07-23-2019 at 06:25 AM.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Done! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    ... said I'd need to go to another office about 20 miles away.
    Sounds like an excuse to get out and ride! I've ridden farther for much, much less...
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Kevin.

Does the USPS charge for this service?

Friedle
    No.
    Kevin Huddy

I've been using this for most of the last year. I did have to go to my closest post office to verify my residence, but they knew what to do and it was painless. Its primary value to me is knowing when a package for which I'll need to sign (insured, etc.) will arrive so I can manage to either be home or else plan on going to the post office the following day to retrieve it in person since the carriers here only make one delivery attempt for signature mail. This is very similar to the email notification you receive from UPS and FEDEX if you have signed up with them.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '17 R1200 GSA

Before I sign up I would like your feedback on the following paragraph in the Terms and Conditions.

BY ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THIS AGREEMENT, YOU CONSENT AND ACCEPT THE RISK IN RECEIVING INFORMATION VIA EMAIL AND/OR TEXT MESSAGING THROUGH THE SERVICE. SUCH ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS MAY PROVIDE THE ABOVE MENTIONED SERVICES, BUT MAY ALSO CONTAIN MARKETING MESSAGES AS WELL AS REQUESTS FOR FEEDBACK FROM YOU REGARDING THE SERVICE. YOU MAY WITDRAW SUCH CONSENT AT ANY TIME, BUT IF WITHDRAWING SUCH CONSENT, SOME FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SERVICE MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE TO YOU. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR TELECOMMUNICATIONS CARRIER MAY CHARGE DATA USAGE FEES (INCLUDING ADDITIONAL CHARGES WHEN ROAMING AS WELL AS FEES FOR SMS OR TEXT MESSAGING THAT MAY BE USED TO RECEIVE UPDATES RELATED TO THE TRACKING OF MAILABLE ITEMS) TO ACCESS THE SERVICE, AND THAT THE POSTAL SERVICE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SUCH FEES AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE APPLICATION OR THE SERVICE. ADDITIONAL FEES OR COSTS MAY ACCOMPANY YOUR RECIEPT OF EMAILS SENT THROUGH THE SERVICE. YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR WIRELESS OR TELECOMMUNICATIONS PROVIDER FOR COMPLETE PRICING DETAILS.

I would like to sign-up, but do not need anymore junk mail.

Thanks, George

I started using this service maybe 6 months ago. I don't recall being bombarded with spam messages or other emails. I also haven't seen much benefit so far, but then again I've only had 1 or 2 UPS packages come my way.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

No spam or unwanted emails yet. Just an email showing the face of each item, received at 8 AM each delivery day.

No real benefit I can see, though it was interesting to see that a letter from the the county auditor was listed on three of four days before it finally reached our mail box. I was in no real hurry to see that property appraisals for tax purposes were going up, so no harm.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

IT IS OF GREAT BENEFIT:
    We travel a couple times a year. Down to the Everglades/Keys and out to the Western states to visit the high country. Usually 5 or 6 weeks at a time. We have a farm sitter come around every day to take care of the place. One of their duties is to bring the mail in and put it in a safe place.
    Having this service from the USPS, most of last year, allows us to advise the helper if there is some business that they need to take care of for us. An unexpected bill, a service person coming to perform maintenance, or just junk mail to get rid of. Really glad they offer the service because it really helps us...……...

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    It may also be a good idea to have your packages delivered at your work address if that is allowed/possible. It will reduce the porch pirates ability to steal....
    FWIW, for UPS customers it is less expensive to have things shipped to a commercial address rather than a residential one, but for USPS it makes no difference in shipping cost. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

I use informed Delivery.
    As mentioned above it's not unusual the email will show a letter or package will arrive that day, but it may be a day or two latter.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT