• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1992 r100r heated grips

tinkerer

Hey
Just got this bike and just joined the moa
Doing my best to get some info on this bike
I’m not sure if it has heated grips
There are some rocker switches just above the ignition switch with no labels
Only one appears to have any wires connected to it
I tried switching it but no heat to the grips
Bad fuse maybe
No heated grips maybe
Getting to know
Thanks for any help

Welcome aboard! I don't know about the '90's era bikes, but the heated grips on my '84 are switched by a rectangular push button tucked up near the headlight. The wiring runs inside the handle bar. I'd suggest looking at one of the parts fiches (MAX BMW, etc.) to see if you can figure it out. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in shortly. Pictures of your set-up would help.
:beer

There is no separate fuse in the factory kit. More likely failed heating elements.

Plus, I thought the factory rockers were below, rather than above the switch. Do you have a picture of the setup?

On my bike

I had heated grips on my bike from the factory. They lasted a long time then wore out. When I went to replace the grips, they were NLA from BMW. So, I put on a set of non heated grips and rode the bike. I was lazy and never removed the switch or wiring harness for them.

One day I find the heated grips are available again and I install a set using the existing harness and switch.

It is possible the previous owner did the same thing I did.

If the existing grips are heated on your bike, at the center of the handle bars you should see the wires for them. No wires no heated grips.

If there are wires, the grips could be bad or a wire could be off/broken.

I do believe the grips are still available as a BMW part from Max or another dealer. St.

Hey you all thanks for your replies I am hoping that this photograph will help my case I’m not sure iif they are 9B71718D-7ACA-413E-AC78-D3F103211034.jpg factory grips or aftermarket

Well the rocker switches are definitely BELOW the ignition switch. Those are OEM looking switches. If an option is not installed, there is a wireless placeholder cover. A stock heated grip switch would have three wires coming out of it. There is no fuse. It could still have aftermarket grips with the factory switch or could have no heated grips. Sometimes when the OEM grips failed, people replaced them with cheaper aftermarket grips and used the same switch. Sometimes when heated grips fail, people abandoned them for regular grips. OEM grips are wired inside the handlebar. Aftermarket grips are wired external to the handlebar. To know which, if any, grips are installed, you need to look for wires coming out from the inside of the handlebar.

If they are OEM, installed, and not working, you may end up back where I started looking for the reason your OEM grips do not work.

When I added HG to my R100R I ended up with a separate switch. Not sure why; may have been something to do with bar end weights and which BMW kits were cost effective at the time.

thanks for the input
i will try and locate any wires running through the bars
i got so many other things to do
the bike has been sitting for quite awhile
i just got the oil filter and all the extra bits to deal with an oil change
going to drop the trans oil and rear end as well
it needs a set of tires and i was hoping for something gs like for rougher roads
any suggestions?
also if any body has the same bike, i would love to talk
i have been riding a /2 and a /5 for many years and this 27 year old bike seem so modern to me
thanks

My 1994 R100RT has a different dash but the switches appear to be the same. On mine the left rocker switch is for the heaters & has 3 positions: up is high, center is off and down is low. Mine have always worked fine, so haven't bothered tracing the wires but note that it takes a few minutes for the grips to warm up. Be sure you give them a few minutes on high to know if they are working or not.

The grips on the '92 PD stopped working about 5 years back.
A local wrench that specializes on Airheads and older Ks suggested to work the switch back and forth a few times.
I had not touched the switch for several years so followed the advice and the grips heated up like they're supposed to.
92 GSPD 77,777.jpeg
The switch on the PDs dash is below & to the left of the speedometer.
It gets a little workout a few times a year now.
Anybody that thinks heated grips aren't worth it hasn't experienced the magic that happens when it's cold and they're switched on!

Last edited:
Back