• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ural -- anyone have experience with this Russian bike?

I see Urals for sale occasionally on craigslist. I've never seen one. Anyone familiar with them? I know they were originally made (with permission I think) from a pre-WWII BMW design. 1930s maybe? They claim to be very rugged, still made mostly of metals with very little plastic, with some of the sidecar models boasting 2WD. Opinions?

I see Urals for sale occasionally on craigslist. I've never seen one. Anyone familiar with them? I know they were originally made (with permission I think) from a pre-WWII BMW design. 1930s maybe? They claim to be very rugged, still made mostly of metals with very little plastic, with some of the sidecar models boasting 2WD. Opinions?

My buddy bought a new one about ten or twelve years ago, I think it was. Fun bike/rig to tool around in, especially in the snow. He bought it mainly to play with his grandkids. But it had mechanical and electrical problems and left him stranded on the side of the road several times. The engine--a 750cc boxer as I recall--finally seized up and ate itself internally. Since there was no dealer anywhere nearby (I think he bought it somewhere in Illinois maybe) he was stuck with near constantly tinkering with it himself, and he is not a qualified tech. Bottom line: he shipped the engine off somewhere for a "factory rebuild" (don't know precisely what that meant on a Ural) and when he got it running again he sold it online. Cheap. Maybe on craigslist? Maybe one of the ones you are currently looking at? Beware.

Good luck.

My buddy bought a new one about ten or twelve years ago, I think it was. Fun bike/rig to tool around in, especially in the snow. He bought it mainly to play with his grandkids. But it had mechanical and electrical problems and left him stranded on the side of the road several times. The engine--a 750cc boxer as I recall--finally seized up and ate itself internally. Since there was no dealer anywhere nearby (I think he bought it somewhere in Illinois maybe) he was stuck with near constantly tinkering with it himself, and he is not a qualified tech. Bottom line: he shipped the engine off somewhere for a "factory rebuild" (don't know precisely what that meant on a Ural) and when he got it running again he sold it online. Cheap. Maybe on craigslist? Maybe one of the ones you are currently looking at? Beware.

Good luck.
Thanks. I really have no interest in buying one, new or used. I was just curious about them. I think the Chinese took the Russian design (purchased it maybe?) and built their own version.

The closest dealer to me is a 2.5 hour drive.

The newer ones (late 2010's) seem to be much improved (EFI, disc brakes, quality control) over the previous versions.

It's much better when he talks about it in person, but Paul Pelland (Long Haul Paul) used a Ural for the Iron Butt Rally and wrote about his experience. I don't think there are many other riders who could have endured this much punishment and continued on.

The first time that I can remember encountering a Ural with a tub, was about ~7 years ago at the Slimey Crud run. The guy had both heads off the bike in the parking lot, I didn't investigate to see what exactly was wrong, but someone told me he wasn't too far away from home :cry

I think a lot of people throw in a used BMW airhead engine to improve reliability.

Neither of these experiences have stopped me from drooling over one :brad

Howdy,
Cycle World did an article just before they went coffee table with their print edition about running non-stop up/down the west coast with a support vehicle on a Ural rig. They did mention keeping the whole thing pointed straight was a struggle, but no real drama until during a rider passenger swap at speed the piss can in the side car tipped over!!!!
Later,
Norm

For model year 2014 Ural made some significant upgrades. EFI, redesigned heads and exhaust to accomodate temp and O2 sensors for the EFI, Brembo brakes, disk brakes on all three wheels, steering damper, spin-on oil filter, larger air filter, redesigned cams, upgraded fly-wheel, many outsourced components including transmission parts and fasteners, and many other changes. I would avoid a pre-2014 Ural.

Last edited:
In the IBR Paul Pelland had one engine completely replaced and then on the second engine he actually fabricated a push rod from a drill bit in the back room of a hardware store where he bought the drill bit. They had a bench grinder he could use. I am sure that 99% of us, me included, would have tossed the towel and DNF'd that run of luck but he didn't. It is truly an inspiring story.

The only close competitor was Dennis Kessler with a toothless chain sprocket on his wheel in Saskatchewan farm country. They found a sprocket from a conveyor that would fit the chain, and with a few holes drilled to mount it to the wheel he was back on the road.

I on the other hand, in finishing two IBRs, had to change a headlight bulb while waiting for the waitress to bring me my order in Duluth, MN. :)

Last edited:
I have a 2018 cT (one wheel drive) but I haven't put very many miles on it due to back issues. It's fun and a real conversation starter - even had a guy get out of a vehicle at a stop light and come talk. Really different than riding a 2 wheeler and not really up to a lot of highway miles. Check out SovietSteeds.com/forums for all kinds of info on them. Reported reliability seems to be improving each year.

The electric Ural looks like fun. 1.5 times the horse power or so. Of course range is low like all electrics but might be OK for this rig.

Have to see if it makes to production.

Had a HD side car on a Electra Glide for a while. Wife said it had "no shock absorbers", translation, it did not ride like a Cadillac Fleetwood so it went bye bye.

GD

Back