Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: F850GSA - Second one sold in Idaho

Thumbs up

I just got one too... wanted the Ice Grey or the Granite Grey Metallic, but this was the one they had on the showroom floor... rather than waiting, I just took that one.

Only mods were the two side cases (did not wanted the 3rd one since I will be stacking tent,chair, and sleeping bag on that rack), locks, NAV, and taller windshield (should be here this week). Now to put miles on it...

It has road tires, figured that was fine since I do not think that I will be taking it off-road much at first... this is my first BMW and first Adventure bike...
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko
    2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Testing my ability to take the F850 GSA off the beaten path

I live about 40 miles north of Boise Idaho in the small community of Sweet. The area is a river valley between old volcanic mountains. The Payette river is world class white water, the area still ranches and sage brush, and loaded with ranch roads that are popular with dirt bikes, 4-wheeler's and side-by-sides. ReganButte.jpg
    One of the more challenging is a five mile stretch of two track call Johnson Creek. It starts at the Payette River and follows a draw south connecting to a gravel road the you can take to either Horseshoe Bend, or Emmett. Johnson creek road is a combination of lava rock, water crossings, ruts, mud at times, whoop-de-do's and loose talc. It will challenge your technique, concentration and bravery or foolishness depending on the day.johnsonCreekMap.jpg
    I had ridden this road a couple of times over the years on my 2007 F650GS and always had the feeling I had just survived the experience. I have been avoiding Johnson Creek on the F850GSA instead riding the many gravel and forest service roads in my area. I kept telling myself it was to hone my skills with the new bike and I almost convinced myself. The other day the call of Johnson creek became to much. I was sure the mud would be dry, the air was cool and I needed to go to Emmett anyway. I started a bit tentative but soon was standing on the pegs, bouncing over rocks, doing my best to avoid the ruts and splashing through the water crossings. The bike did it all in stride with its only request was for me to not get in its way, just let it move under me. At the end of the ride I had a huge smile.

Thumbs up

Wow ^^ Sweet!!!
    Ride safe!
    Wachuko
    2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Love the Mosko bags!

New F850 GS

Traded my '07 R1200RT 2 years ago for an F800GS to lose the weight and to ride more dirt roads here in VT. (I'm too old for serious GS off road riding.) Put 17,000 miles on it with road trips to MOA Rallies, trips to Arkansas and Missouri and local riding. Loved the lighter weight, and easy handling, but didn't like the engine vibrations and "lightness" on the slab and highway speeds on 2 laners. So just bought a new F850GS. Didn't want the ADV because of the added weight, but have enjoyed the extra 50 pounds on the highway VS the F800GS. Much smoother engine too with the balancers. (Another reason I bought it.)

Just installed an 18 inch MadStad windshield (I'm 5'10") and it works perfectly with 2 inches of up/down height and an inch or so of tilt adjustment. I can ride with my helmet shield up again. Had the MadStad on the F800GS also, but this one is even better.

After 800 miles in 2 weeks, I've got one serious concern and wonder if any of you share it. The front suspension is way too soft with no adjustment available. At any kind of speed, when I hit the front brake hard, the front forks collapse so dramatically I feel like I'm gonna be thrown over the windshield. They're noticeably softer than those on the F800GS, which were kind of soft too, but not this bad. When I have a second or so to react, I've started hitting the rear brakes first, then the front after. But in a panic situation, I won't have the luxury of time to perform a 2 step stop. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I got the Nav too, so had to order non-pivoting ROX bar risers, which give +1.5" height and +1" back. Tried the Touratech 1" risers, but they we not effective for me.

As usual, the factory saddle is a butt killer, so I'll probably get another Russell Day Long over the winter non-riding season. However, for the rest of this riding season have any of you used an AirHawk with good success? They're now selling one called a "Dual Sport", 11" x 11" with a tapered nose. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

p.s. Wish I could be out there riding those Idaho/Montana roads again. The East is nice, but the West is simply awesome! ......... maybe next summer.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If the suspension seems soft, check back with your dealer. They should be able to compare your bike with another similar bike. I donít think I have ever heard of a bike coming through with the fork oil low- but itís possible.
    Back in the day we used to change front suspension rates with both fluid and spacers to suit.
    Good luck with the new bike.
    OM

After 800 miles in 2 weeks, I've got one serious concern and wonder if any of you share it. The front suspension is way too soft with no adjustment available. At any kind of speed, when I hit the front brake hard, the front forks collapse so dramatically I feel like I'm gonna be thrown over the windshield. They're noticeably softer than those on the F800GS, which were kind of soft too, but not this bad. When I have a second or so to react, I've started hitting the rear brakes first, then the front after. But in a panic situation, I won't have the luxury of time to perform a 2 step stop. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks

Thanks Omega Man.
    I'll mention that next time I'm in the shop. Never heard of that either, but I have talked to another guy who bought the F850GSA and he already blew out the front forks riding off road, so I'm not alone with fork issues He said he could get the forks to bottom out sitting still and pushing on them. This may just be the nature of these forks and I'm not used to them and others are, or I'm gonna find an aftermarket fix. I heard there's a company that makes drop in cartridges that'll stiffen up the front end. About $500 for a pair. I'll wait until I have a couple of thousand miles on it to give them a fair test.

Soft Front End

The Beemer Shop https://www.beemershop.com/ can provide you a kit based on your weight and riding style to fix this issue. Give Ted a call or send him an email.

Touratech also has both spring kits and a drop in cartridge now for the F850GS & GSA
    https://touratech-usa.com/store/Tour...50GS-Adventure
    Last edited by rwadamsidaho; 11-18-2019 at 04:42 PM.