• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F850GSA - Second one sold in Idaho

I took delivery of the second GSA sold in Idaho, the first one went to a local motorcycle tour operator. I had rented and ridden his F850GS in October and had planned to purchase that model but found out my dealer also had a GSA on the floor and went to take a look at it. 80% of my riding is on Idaho Forest service roads, so engine guards, skid plates and such are standard on my bikes. The GSA had those as standard, a much better wind screen and a bigger gas tank. I am 6'4" so had the dealer raise the handle bars and install the Rallye seat vs the comfort seat which was standard. I also had them install 50/50 tires, which work better on Idaho back country roads. I went with Mosko Moto soft bags instead of hard boxes.
IMG_3333-small.JPG
I have 300 miles on the bike taking advantage of some 40 degree weather between snow storms and find the bike when moving feels lighter than the 2007 F650GS that I put 40,000 miles on over the last 12 years. The engine is amazing and the handling is very predictable. The wind screen is much better than the GS and provides a quite bubble even at highway speeds.

Attachments

• F850-read-to-ride.jpg
    F850-read-to-ride.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 360
Great report on the new model.......Good luck with it.
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Nice, I'm on the fence trying to decide between an F850GSA or the R1250GSA for my retirement riding.

Try the F850GSA before you sign a check - for either bike

You get 95% of an R12xx GS bike for 5K or more less money. They have most of the bells and whistles and handle better off road. Lance Gains owner of Into the Horizons Motorcycle tours https://www.intothehorizonadventuremotorcycletours.com/ and ride any of the GS bikes anytime he wants, but his first choice right now are the F850's because they handle so well and are just so much fun.

Update on the F850 GSA

I have a bit over 800 miles in the saddle and here are some of my observations. When not moving the bike is harder to move around then my F650 was, but that is expected as it is heavier and bigger than the other bike. But when moving it is more agile and easier to handle. The bike is easy to handle on dirt and gravel roads, and a pure joy on two lane twisty. I also am very happy with the Metzeler Karoo 3 tires. They are better than OK on the road, and like tractor tires when the going gets soft or slick. Now we just have to see what sort of mileage I get before i have to replace them. I did a 150 mile loop the other day from Boise, to Idaho City, Lowman, Banks, then back to Boise. This route twists from 2400 feet to 6285 at it's highest point, and was wet, slushy at times and had debris from avalanches to make things interesting. At no time did I every feel the bike become squirmy or unsettled, a pure joy to ride.Bike-Snow.jpg

May Road Trip - Idaho River Canyons

The Trip:
Lolo Pass.JPG
May 13-15, 2019 Solo motorcycle trip, 750 mile loop encompassing six national forest, through amazing river canyons along some of Idaho premier rivers. Utilizing a number of Idaho Scenic Byway, the trip traveled through some of Idaho most amazing country.

Day one started on the Payette River Scenic byway to New Meadows traveling through the North Fork of the Payette River canyon, then down the Little Salmon River canyon to Riggins. After lunch, a quick side trip to view the Seven Devils wilderness. The route was blocked with snow so I didn't make the vantage point I had been hoping for. The day ended at the town of Orofino on the Clearwater River.

Day two started heading east on the Northwest Passage Scenic byway along the Clearwater and Lochsa Rivers. This route is famous as the trail Louis & Clark took crossing the Bitterroot mountains. Lots of interesting history in this area, and world class river running. After crossing Lolo Pass, the route entered Montana and headed south in the Bitterroot Valley along the Bitterroot river. I then crossed another pass and was back in Idaho stopping for the Night at the town of Salmon, on the Salmon River.

Day three followed the Salmon River Scenic byway to the town of Stanley and the Sawtooth mountains. The clouds were just off the basin floor and I rode through fog and rain from Sunbeam to Grandjene. The last section of the trip was heading west on the Sawtooth Scenic byway along the South Fork of the Payette river back to Horseshoe Bend and Home.

Pictures of Trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oJ4BCGtUsEpjfMGR7 InReach Track: https://us0-share.inreach.garmin.com/BCHISB

Long Time Ago

RW,

Help me with my memory please.

Last time through there, about 25/30 years ago or so on a Harley, I have a recollection Lowman had burned to the ground. Was it Lowman or some other "town", batch of buildings? Was there a place called Boardman? I had left Boise on 21 and dropped into Stanley and at the bottom of a hill was a devastated area before I got to Stanley. As my foggy memory tells me.

Best part was camping and catching dinner on the Salmon. Then South and grabbed a dirt road for like 40 miles towards 93 and down and around to West Yellowstone. Rode alone in those days because buddies would not ride dressers on dirt or do water crossings. (No sense of adventure those folks)

Those were the daze.... Young and ?????.......

Thanks

GD

Lowman was correct

That area has burned at least three times since you rode through there, over the last 15 years we have been in a general drought and have had major wild fires in the Boise National Forest, Sawtooth National Forest and Wilderness and in the Frank Church Wilderness. Idaho is still a great place to ride especially if you enjoy forest service roads. In the summer I do volunteer work with public land agencies (USFS & BLM) mostly, doing sawyer certifications, packing support & public lands trail maintenance with a service organization called "Back Country Horsemen of Idaho" I spend a lot of time on horse back in areas that have burned restoring the trails. See Https://sbbchidaho.org // Had an F650GS for 11 years, loved that bike, but this F850GSA is light year better all around. Pictures are of a Honda Trail 90 that fell out of a helicopter about 15 year ago we packed out, the other is of my pack string working in the Bolder-White Cloud Wilderness

Attachments

• IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3246.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 213
The Trip:
View attachment 74056
May 13-15, 2019 Solo motorcycle trip, 750 mile loop encompassing six national forest, through amazing river canyons along some of Idaho premier rivers. Utilizing a number of Idaho Scenic Byway, the trip traveled through some of Idaho most amazing country.

Day one started on the Payette River Scenic byway to New Meadows traveling through the North Fork of the Payette River canyon, then down the Little Salmon River canyon to Riggins. After lunch, a quick side trip to view the Seven Devils wilderness. The route was blocked with snow so I didn't make the vantage point I had been hoping for. The day ended at the town of Orofino on the Clearwater River.

Day two started heading east on the Northwest Passage Scenic byway along the Clearwater and Lochsa Rivers. This route is famous as the trail Louis & Clark took crossing the Bitterroot mountains. Lots of interesting history in this area, and world class river running. After crossing Lolo Pass, the route entered Montana and headed south in the Bitterroot Valley along the Bitterroot river. I then crossed another pass and was back in Idaho stopping for the Night at the town of Salmon, on the Salmon River.

Day three followed the Salmon River Scenic byway to the town of Stanley and the Sawtooth mountains. The clouds were just off the basin floor and I rode through fog and rain from Sunbeam to Grandjene. The last section of the trip was heading west on the Sawtooth Scenic byway along the South Fork of the Payette river back to Horseshoe Bend and Home.

Pictures of Trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oJ4BCGtUsEpjfMGR7 InReach Track: https://us0-share.inreach.garmin.com/BCHISB

This is an FANTASTIC post. Love the pics. Many thanks, Allan

Great pics and report. Its especially good to hear about real world tire and bike experiences as well as great destinations.

F850GSA vs R1250GSA?

Nice, I'm on the fence trying to decide between an F850GSA or the R1250GSA for my retirement riding.
Hi
Just noticing your post and location ( Calgary) ( I'm in Invermere BC) and curious what you eventually bought?
I have a 2016 R1200GSA, which I like but recently acquired a 2019 F850GS.....which I love!
The 850 is noticeably lighter, slightly lower ( I’m 5’6” and have to tip toe on my 1200GSA...even with lowered suspension and a low seat), and much easier low speed handling. Over 50% of my riding is gravel or dirt and I much prefer the 850GS for this type of riding. After adding a larger than stock windshield, the 850GS is also a pleasure on the highway ( although the R1200GSA is definitely a better/ more comfortable highway cruiser.
So....in conclusion: test ride both your choices , on the type of terrain you'll do most of your riding on.

PS: will continue to ride both for the balance of our riding season....and then likely sell the R1200GSA!

what wind shield did get for your F850GSA

The stock one is ok, unless there are a lot of bugs, then the wind stream sends them all into my face plate. Looking for a good aftermarket that is around 19 inches VS the 15 of the one that came with it. I agree with your assessment of the F850GSA on gravel being very forgiving.

Hi
Just noticing your post and location ( Calgary) ( I'm in Invermere BC) and curious what you eventually bought?
I have a 2016 R1200GSA, which I like but recently acquired a 2019 F850GS.....which I love!
The 850 is noticeably lighter, slightly lower ( I’m 5’6” and have to tip toe on my 1200GSA...even with lowered suspension and a low seat), and much easier low speed handling. Over 50% of my riding is gravel or dirt and I much prefer the 850GS for this type of riding. After adding a larger than stock windshield, the 850GS is also a pleasure on the highway ( although the R1200GSA is definitely a better/ more comfortable highway cruiser.
So....in conclusion: test ride both your choices , on the type of terrain you'll do most of your riding on.

PS: will continue to ride both for the balance of our riding season....and then likely sell the R1200GSA!

I went for the F850GSA Rallye. I never did test ride the 1250, I made my decision based on a lot of other factors and am quite sure I got it right.

IMG_20190625_143737_resize.jpg

I've been working on a additions and accessories, a taller windscreen is coming. I've not had much opportunity yet to do much gravel, but am quite impressed with it so far overall.

I will be out in BC in August for the rally in Nakusp, look for me if you happen to find your way there.

Last edited:
I just got one too... wanted the Ice Grey or the Granite Grey Metallic, but this was the one they had on the showroom floor... rather than waiting, I just took that one.

Only mods were the two side cases (did not wanted the 3rd one since I will be stacking tent,chair, and sleeping bag on that rack), locks, NAV, and taller windshield (should be here this week). Now to put miles on it...

attachment.php

It has road tires, figured that was fine since I do not think that I will be taking it off-road much at first... this is my first BMW and first Adventure bike...

Testing my ability to take the F850 GSA off the beaten path

I live about 40 miles north of Boise Idaho in the small community of Sweet. The area is a river valley between old volcanic mountains. The Payette river is world class white water, the area still ranches and sage brush, and loaded with ranch roads that are popular with dirt bikes, 4-wheeler's and side-by-sides. ReganButte.jpg
One of the more challenging is a five mile stretch of two track call Johnson Creek. It starts at the Payette River and follows a draw south connecting to a gravel road the you can take to either Horseshoe Bend, or Emmett. Johnson creek road is a combination of lava rock, water crossings, ruts, mud at times, whoop-de-do's and loose talc. It will challenge your technique, concentration and bravery or foolishness depending on the day.johnsonCreekMap.jpg
I had ridden this road a couple of times over the years on my 2007 F650GS and always had the feeling I had just survived the experience. I have been avoiding Johnson Creek on the F850GSA instead riding the many gravel and forest service roads in my area. I kept telling myself it was to hone my skills with the new bike and I almost convinced myself. The other day the call of Johnson creek became to much. I was sure the mud would be dry, the air was cool and I needed to go to Emmett anyway. I started a bit tentative but soon was standing on the pegs, bouncing over rocks, doing my best to avoid the ruts and splashing through the water crossings. The bike did it all in stride with its only request was for me to not get in its way, just let it move under me. At the end of the ride I had a huge smile.

New F850 GS

Traded my '07 R1200RT 2 years ago for an F800GS to lose the weight and to ride more dirt roads here in VT. (I'm too old for serious GS off road riding.) Put 17,000 miles on it with road trips to MOA Rallies, trips to Arkansas and Missouri and local riding. Loved the lighter weight, and easy handling, but didn't like the engine vibrations and "lightness" on the slab and highway speeds on 2 laners. So just bought a new F850GS. Didn't want the ADV because of the added weight, but have enjoyed the extra 50 pounds on the highway VS the F800GS. Much smoother engine too with the balancers. (Another reason I bought it.)

Just installed an 18 inch MadStad windshield (I'm 5'10") and it works perfectly with 2 inches of up/down height and an inch or so of tilt adjustment. I can ride with my helmet shield up again. Had the MadStad on the F800GS also, but this one is even better.

After 800 miles in 2 weeks, I've got one serious concern and wonder if any of you share it. The front suspension is way too soft with no adjustment available. At any kind of speed, when I hit the front brake hard, the front forks collapse so dramatically I feel like I'm gonna be thrown over the windshield. They're noticeably softer than those on the F800GS, which were kind of soft too, but not this bad. When I have a second or so to react, I've started hitting the rear brakes first, then the front after. But in a panic situation, I won't have the luxury of time to perform a 2 step stop. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I got the Nav too, so had to order non-pivoting ROX bar risers, which give +1.5" height and +1" back. Tried the Touratech 1" risers, but they we not effective for me.

As usual, the factory saddle is a butt killer, so I'll probably get another Russell Day Long over the winter non-riding season. However, for the rest of this riding season have any of you used an AirHawk with good success? They're now selling one called a "Dual Sport", 11" x 11" with a tapered nose. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

p.s. Wish I could be out there riding those Idaho/Montana roads again. The East is nice, but the West is simply awesome! ......... maybe next summer. :)

Back