Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Review: Aerofllow Windshield R1200RT

Thumbs up Review: Aerofllow Windshield R1200RT

Our new '17 R1200RT excels in just about every way, but we needed a bit more wind protection than the OEM Comfort Windshield provides. After reading several great reviews of the Aeroflow, we chose one in Medium to see if it would offer better wind management.

It has been a terrific choice! The recurve at the top of the windshield is a significant improvement, carrying windflow over my helmet and taking some of the wind off my shoulders. The improvement is noticeable at all heights, but what really impresses me is that I can raise the windshield just one or two inches from its lowest setting and achieve a very quiet cockpit. All the way up, I'm looking through the windshield which is not preferred, but in rain it actually helps keep my helmet clear and rainsuit reasonably dry.

My passenger says that the windshield works well for her, although she has a less quiet ride than I do. I expect that's the case with just about every windshield, but she reports that the Aeroflow is an improvement over OEM.

As you will see from the pictures, it does have a bit of a purple tint from some angles. I don't care for that, but the improved performance of the windshield over the OEM allows me to live with that.

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Aeroflow size

Thanks for posting. I am picking up a RT when the snow melts and have been looking at the medium size Aeroflow. I am 5" 11". Do you mind my asking how tall you are?

rpr - I am 5'10", and the medium is perfect for me. Although I'm at the top end of the recommended height for the medium, it's perfect for me. At its lowest setting it gives me a sporty look and still offers good protection, but really quiets down the cockpit when raised an inch or two. At full extension, I look through it, which is not preferred. So it's about perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rpr1200rt View Post
    Thanks for posting. I am picking up a RT when the snow melts and have been looking at the medium size Aeroflow. I am 5" 11". Do you mind my asking how tall you are?

Hello Allhisanyway: I have the same color & year RT, and also bought the same size Aeroflow windshield last year. My height is only 5'6'', but I found the same things about the effect for the windshield you have reported out on, regarding height effect, etc.. Just curious, when passing semis trucks on the highway, do you have any (for a lack of better term) backpressure type of force felt? It is not drastic and the windshield is a big improvement over the OEM.
    Joined MOA in 1987

Current bike - 2017 RT

Looks something like the Quiet Ride windshields on my R1200RTs.

https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-rid...eld---bmw.html

Costs including shipping are clearly shown in the web page above for Quiet Ride windshields.. I was unable to determine the cost of Aeroflow windshields from its web site. I wonder why that is. Does anyone know what they cost?
    Last edited by bmwdean; 03-05-2019 at 02:16 AM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Quote Originally Posted by sanctuarydrive View Post
    Hello Allhisanyway: I have the same color & year RT, and also bought the same size Aeroflow windshield last year. My height is only 5'6'', but I found the same things about the effect for the windshield you have reported out on, regarding height effect, etc.. Just curious, when passing semis trucks on the highway, do you have any (for a lack of better term) backpressure type of force felt? It is not drastic and the windshield is a big improvement over the OEM.
    I have a 2016 R1200RT with the Aeroflow medium windscreen and I love it! I am 5í8Ē, and I havenít noticed any back pressures from semi trucks. When these trucks are oncoming, I try to angle myself to them as they pass so that I am not fully paralell to the truck. Kind of analogous to boating and heading over waves or boat wake.

Ride safe!

Costs

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    ... I was unable to determine the cost of Aeroflow windshields from its web site....
    Jeff, there is a dropdown list with prices for each height. It is right at the bottom of the page. The Tall is $310.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200...AeroScreen.htm

Another Aeroflow shield lover.

5' 10" and shrinking and a medium works very nicely.

3rd one I have had. This one on a 1200 GS

I spent a lot of money trying shields, Aeroflow work for me.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I'm not noticing anything that I would call "backpressure", but the RT seems a little nervous on the interstate when there is heavy truck traffic in adjacent lanes. I did notice a good bit of wind pressure on my back when I installed the top box, but I think you are referring to a different type of effect.

Quote Originally Posted by sanctuarydrive View Post

Thanks all for the feedback.
    Joined MOA in 1987

Current bike - 2017 RT

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    Jeff, there is a dropdown list with prices for each height. It is right at the bottom of the page. The Tall is $310.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200...AeroScreen.htm
    Thanks for that info. I should have been able to find that. The tallest Quiet Rider is $255 including shipping. The "tall" is $235 including shipping.
    Jeff Dean

Quiet ride windshewild.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Looks something like the Quiet Ride windshields on my R1200RTs.

https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-rid...eld---bmw.html

Costs including shipping are clearly shown in the web page above for Quiet Ride windshields.. I was unable to determine the cost of Aeroflow windshields from its web site. I wonder why that is. Does anyone know what they cost?
    Jeff,

How do you like the Quiet ride sheild that you have on your RT? The Quiet Ride and the Aeroflow look close to being the same, except for price.

Thanks,
    Bill

Quiet ride shield made all the difference on my 15RT, stock shield got wind buffeting and water constantly in my face

Quote Originally Posted by billspurgeon View Post
    Jeff,

How do you like the Quiet ride sheild that you have on your RT? The Quiet Ride and the Aeroflow look close to being the same, except for price.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Blll,

I like them just fine. But I have never used an Aeroflow, so I cannot really compare them. The QR is less expensive and includes shipping, which Aeroflow doesn't if I am reading its web page correctly. I have a tall friend who had an Aeroflow but switched to QR which he uses now and has put tens of thousands of mles on his RT with it.

I don't know how you could compare QR and AF shields without buying them both as an expensive test that would leave you with one unwanted shield.
    Last edited by bmwdean; 03-06-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    Jeff Dean