Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rally Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    Life long Nashvillian here.

I just read the list of the bands & no offense to anyone whom is in them, I am disappointed. Nashville is chock full of top tier musicians that play studio gigs and have jam bands on the side. Yet none of them could be found to play the rally? Or perhaps a bigger star whom isn't on the road on that date? Heck, Charlie Daniels lives only 10 miles or so from Lebanon.

Son, I am disappoint................
    I thought Elizabeth Cook lives in Nashville

Listen to her XM show when traveling on Outlaw Country.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

There are artists from Nashville playing. To reiterate the previous comment, it is a motorcycle rally and not a music festival. I do on the other hand hold the music high on my list. But.....as I made a comment before, there is a BUDGET for the entertainment. If anyone wants to get a quote for Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers, I’m almost 90% sure the budget wouldn’t allow for it. So the entertainment chair does an incredible job with the resources handed to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    2016 R1200GS

Nashville is chock full of top tier musicians that play studio gigs and have jam bands on the side.
    One year, many moons ago, a dude from Nashville showed up at the Georgia Mountain Rally riding a K-bike.

He opened his side case and removed a perfectly-fitting trumpet that he had custom made.

He joined in with a band led by one of our members and proceeded to tear the house down. Everyone was in awe.....

I think that Chairperson positions for our rally should be open and announced to the membership each year, I think there could be a number of people in our membership with the requisite skills and connections.

jmo

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    There are artists from Nashville playing. To reiterate the previous comment, it is a motorcycle rally and not a music festival. I do on the other hand hold the music high on my list. But.....as I made a comment before, there is a BUDGET for the entertainment. If anyone wants to get a quote for Vince Gill and the Time Jumpers, I’m almost 90% sure the budget wouldn’t allow for it. So the entertainment chair does an incredible job with the resources handed to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps they could offer ole Vince a ride on a bike in exchange for bringing his back-up group, The Eagles? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    One year, many moons ago, a dude from Nashville showed up at the Georgia Mountain Rally riding a K-bike.

He opened his side case and removed a perfectly-fitting trumpet that he had custom made.

He joined in with a band led by one of our members and proceeded to tear the house down. Everyone was in awe.....

I think that Chairperson positions for our rally should be open and announced to the membership each year, I think there could be a number of people in our membership with the requisite skills and connections.

jmo

Ian
    This is exactly what I was talking about. Not all upper tier musicians follow the play-for-pay path. Nor are all the good guys out on the road, many are studio-only.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I thought Elizabeth Cook lives in Nashville

Listen to her XM show when traveling on Outlaw Country.

No offense to Miss Cook, but I've never heard of her. Of course, I don't do country music at all.

Personally, I would've loved to have Cheryl Crow there. She lives one county over, Williamson Co.

Wynonna Judd also rides a bike, FWIW. Sadly, it's a Harley but she might be open to being educated? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I do understand the sentiment but do have to say, it is a motorcycle rally, not a music concert. And our rally is not at the Buffalo Chip Campground.
    As my fav web site (www.ar15.com) often says, "get both."

No clue what the Buffalo Chip Campground is or what they do, sorry.

No clue what the Buffalo Chip Campground is or what they do, sorry.
    The Buffalo Chip Campground is a large field with toilets, vendor space, and a big stage a few miles outside of Sturgis, South Dakota. It accommodates a few thousand campers during the Black Hills Motor Classic (bike week) at Sturgis. It charges high fees for camping but between the nudity, drugs, and high dollar bands it has abundant entertainment.

https://www.buffalochip.com/
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-24-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Paul, maybe we should be examining that model if we truly want to grow the MOA and make some money???

The two can exist, good music and affordability. We had three Grammy Award winners in Essex Junction, VT and still kept the entertainment budget in line, and made money for the Rally. Oh ya, it was also, and still is, the best attended Rally the MOA ever presented.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Paul, maybe we should be examining that model if we truly want to grow the MOA and make some money???

The two can exist, good music and affordability. We had three Grammy Award winners in Essex Junction, VT and still kept the entertainment budget in line, and made money for the Rally. Oh ya, it was also, and still is, the best attended Rally the MOA ever presented.

Friedle
    Well I guess there are things to be said for sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The last year we were at Sturgis, ZZ Top was the headliner at the Buffalo Chip Campground.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Well I guess there are things to be said for sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The last year we were at Sturgis, ZZ Top was the headliner at the Buffalo Chip Campground.
    To get into that level of big-name entertainment you need to be either charging high prices or packing in lots of bodies—the Chip does both. The first garners lots of grousing from the attendees, the second carries an automatic increase in sex and drugs, just as you’d find in any modestly sized city. While in many circles such an increase is ignored or garners the Seinfeld response (“not that there’s anything wrong with that”) it wouldn’t float in an organization that gets its panties in a bunch over something as innocuous as a photo of a pretty and unhelmeted lass astride a motorcycle. Regionally-known bands are still, for this organization, a good compromise between cost and quality.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    To get into that level of big-name entertainment you need to be either charging high prices or packing in lots of bodies—the Chip does both. The first garners lots of grousing from the attendees, the second carries an automatic increase in sex and drugs, just as you’d find in any modestly sized city. While in many circles such an increase is ignored or garners the Seinfeld response (“not that there’s anything wrong with that”) it wouldn’t float in an organization that gets its panties in a bunch over something as innocuous as a photo of a pretty and unhelmeted lass astride a motorcycle. Regionally-known bands are still, for this organization, a good compromise between cost and quality.

Best,
    DG
    Just to be clear, since I brought it up:

We are not, and ought not be, the Buffalo Chip Campground.

Go see the vendors and several seminars.

I do understand the sentiment but do have to say, it is a motorcycle rally, not a music concert. And our rally is not at the Buffalo Chip Campground.
    I agree with Paul, and do we really have to be entertained 24/7? I am appreciative of whoever the rally organizers have lined up for the entertainment! It will all be good, but I do really like Paul Thorn & his band!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

I've been to 6 or 7 MOA Nationals. My favorite music venue was at the '92 National in DuQuion, IL. .Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel. But hey, that's just me. I've never complained about any of music we had. I'm lucky, I live next to one of the the great music capitols of America; Memphis, TN. I could go somewhere every night and watch and listen to great music. My personal BMW mechanic Leo Goff is probably one the greatest unknown bass guitar players in America. Any band he plays in is top shelf. I know I'm blessed.

I thought George Thorogood & the Destroyers in Lima ... and David Bromberg in Vermont were pretty solid entertainment offerings.