• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to Stay When @ the Dragon

When leaving the rally, I would like to approach the dragon from the south heading north. Do any of you know a good route to get there? I was thinking about going through Chattanooga and finding a route from there.

With permission from CABNFVR to tweak his route, perhaps you could add a little Georgia to it and dip a little further south on I-75 to GA 2 over to US 411 (n) to pick up US 74. It give you a little less interstate to ride on. I drove that GA 2 many, many years ago in a big truck and I think I remembered it was scenic enough (more than an interstate, anyway.)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chattanooga,+TN/Deals+Gap+Motorcycle+Resort,+Tapoco+Road,+Robbinsville,+NC/@35.0898588,-84.8895621,10z/data=!4m29!4m28!1m20!1m1!1s0x886060408a83e785:0x2471261f898728aa!2m2!1d-85.3096801!2d35.0456297!3m4!1m2!1d-85.1083208!2d34.9190049!3s0x88606fe0782f12b7:0xdc383eb4d1eb320!3m4!1m2!1d-84.4011778!2d35.031317!3s0x885fadae1991b581:0x25789beea9efddb5!3m4!1m2!1d-84.0991637!2d35.3571913!3s0x885ef2403f058585:0x4017e312d2a630e9!1m5!1m1!1s0x885ebe30657a3177:0x276afb4e43fdeec3!2m2!1d-83.9194711!2d35.466753!3e0

Great Input

I like both routes. May be a good idea to stay somewhere prior to doing the dragon after riding from Lebanon. I'm almost 70 and want to be alert before entering the concentration zone.

This is Rally related. Sort of...

I'm going from the Rally to run the Dragon and the associated area for a couple of days. What hotels would you guy recommend that are both reasonably nice (like ones that don't offer hourly rates...haha) and affordable?

My son and I have stayed multiple times at the Sleep Inn in Gatlinburg. It's 5 blocks south of the main drag, so walkable to all the attractions (TGI Fridays, Hard Rock Café, Aquarium of the Smokies, shops, etc.), but still in a semi-quiet spot. Covered parking garage for the bikes was nice. Even trolly service if not interested in walking, though after a day in the saddles, walking was appreciated.

Gas stations and groceries to the south / entrance to Smoky Mtn. National Park to the north - both just 3 minutes away from the motel.

We even rode east into Pigeon Forge for Dolly Parton's Stampede, Titanic exhibit and other attractions/restaurants.

If you're basing yourself near the Dragon, this would be an option (albeit rather commercialized). The ride to the Dragon was into the National Park, then River Road to Townsend, then west to the Foothills Parkway, and then east to HWY 129. Just that route alone each day we teased 'The Beast' was a treat on two wheels.

After riding the Dragon and enjoying lunch and the many slices of humanity to see at Deal's Gap, several scenic rides to the southeast from there are worth it, including the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My point is - spending some time in this area is what you make of it. We rode the Dragon on weekdays, and avoided crowds. Enjoyed great dinners at the end of the day, and took in lots of sights and attractions. The motel is inexpensive, but "doesn't rent by the hour."

Just an option. :dunno

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Greenwald!! That is a great option. I may also consider camping at that motorcycle lodge at the entrance to the dragon.

I like both routes. May be a good idea to stay somewhere prior to doing the dragon after riding from Lebanon. I'm almost 70 and want to be alert before entering the concentration zone.

Three friends from up north are sharing an AirBnB home with me overlooking Lake Nantahala. It's a perfect location for day trips to the Dragon, Cherohala, the scenic waterfall loop around Franklin and Highlands, and even dropping down to eastern SC and north GA. Three wonderful days riding the area, private bedrooms and baths, communal kitchen, deck and screened porch overlooking the lake, gated community...and only $50 per night each.

Might be worth others checking out offerings in the area.

Pete

Thanks Greenwald!! That is a great option. I may also consider camping at that motorcycle lodge at the entrance to the dragon.

FYI, though I've ridden the Dragon more times than I can count (solo, with my son, with riding buddies), we were never tempted to stay at Deal's Gap. It's noisy, crowded, rowdy at times, a heavy H-D crowd and persona, and best enjoyed as a spectator, rather than a resident.

Also, Deal's Gap is about and hour or more from anything civilized, i.e. attractions, nice restaurants, Urgent Care, etc.

Just so you know. :dance

Thanks!!!

FYI, though I've ridden the Dragon more times than I can count (solo, with my son, with riding buddies), we were never tempted to stay at Deal's Gap. It's noisy, crowded, rowdy at times, a heavy H-D crowd and persona, and best enjoyed as a spectator, rather than a resident.

Also, Deal's Gap is about and hour or more from anything civilized, i.e. attractions, nice restaurants, Urgent Care, etc.

Just so you know. :dance

Now...that is good to know

I'm dying to visit the area but my desire to steer clear of that rowdy "biker" scene will keep me from lodging too close to the dragon itself. I don't mind observing, and sometimes participating in, the spectacle but I do like to sleep in peace. :bolt

I'm dying to visit the area but my desire to steer clear of that rowdy "biker" scene will keep me from lodging too close to the dragon itself. I don't mind observing, and sometimes participating in, the spectacle but I do like to sleep in peace. :bolt

FYI, there is a string of modern motels along the highway just south of Bryson City. Have stayed there twice and nice accomodations, and not too far from The Dragon.

Gatlinburg has more 'bustle' to it, and more choices for dinner, shops, etc. :dunno

For those Camping Travelers, or the cabin folks. In addition to the Ironhorse mentioned frequently, there is the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground (BRMC)
about 75mi away from the Dragon, via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

This would put you about 285 miles (minimum) away from Lebanon depending on the route chosen, if staying at BRMC.
And at about 350-375 miles, you can make quite a ride by adding the Skyway and more.

For those arriving at the fairgrounds Monday thru Wednesday, this is not a bad option if arriving from the East.

"travel'n" john

Last edited:
For those more in to hotels, there is the Pisgah Inn, located at 408 Blue Ridge Parkway. That's right on the parkway, not too far from the Dragon, not too far from Mt Mitchell (highest point east of the Mississippi River, and not too far from Wheels Through Time Museum of American Transportation. By the fastest route from Lebanon, it's about 270 miles/5hrs of riding. Across the road from the Pisgah Inn is the Mt Pisgah Campgrounds. Just make sure you have reservations. They stay booked!

I concur

I always hate to say stuff like this; but I will.

Back in the day "Pete" ran the store at the south end of the Dragon. He remembered Voni after three years and made us feel at home in the campground. It is a longer story than this but his will suffice. We rolled in/. He trotted to welcome us. We camped.

Pete sold out to some type of company and the store, motel, and camp area lost its appeal as corporate America took over. Now it is T shirt, and decals, and other stuff from corporate types- no longer Pete. I find it sad. Pete was Voni's friend and now the folks at the store don't know anything about anybody. Just to sell a T shirt. (Paul)

I remember joining my local club in the late 80's and one guy always talking about a real twisty road near Smoky Mt. National Park, and how we should do it one day.

One day four of us rode down there, led by the guy who knew where it was. (He didn't know the name, just the route number 129 or something)

Anyway, we pass the Foothills Parkway rd. on the west end of the N.P. and all of a sudden the road gets real twisty and tight. We pull over and he's convinced this isn't the one. "its further up", he said.

We get to the end near NC28 and the old store is there, but not open and ready to fall over with some sign that says, "you just rode Deal's Gap". LOL

My buddy says, "well, I guess that was it".

No t-shirts
No Photographer's in the turns
No SQUIDS on crotch rockets

Just an amazing little road that I got to ride way back when it wasn't so famous. :)

RPGR90s

I have stayed at the Fontana 6 times with my S2000 group and it was always such a nice place to stay. we started getting a cabin there the last few years, same price but it made for a funnier stay...

Back