Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where to Stay When @ the Dragon

++1 on Tapoco Lodge! I can spend hours having lunch on the porch overlooking the river and motorcycles going up and down the highway. Really nice place near the beginning of the Tail of the Dragon.

IMG_0141.jpg

I'm heading down to ride in the area with a bunch of K1600 guys in May.

I will be staying here: http://twowheelinn.com/

It is reasonably priced, motorcycle friendly and gets great reviews. A family owned business and the folks are great and really accommodating.
    Check it out.

Ride safe.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

The dragon

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    "Where to stay when at the dragon?"

Away
    Absolutely. When i was there in 1979 it was not a known destination. No Winnebagos. No squids on sport bikes falling off the side of the road. No excessive LEO presence. "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
    On the other hand, this notoriety means that there are plenty of great roads in the area if you look. I know plenty of comparable routes within 100 miles of Lebanon! I'm just not telling anyone about them.
    Boxerbruce

I wonder if they still have the fresh rainbow trout dinner at the lodge at the Unicoi State Park outside of Helen, GA?
    Boxerbruce

When leaving Lebanon

When leaving the rally, I would like to approach the dragon from the south heading north. Do any of you know a good route to get there? I was thinking about going through Chattanooga and finding a route from there.
    I looked up and saw a running bear. Why do you ask Two Dogs....

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman2 View Post
    When leaving the rally, I would like to approach the dragon from the south heading north. Do any of you know a good route to get there? I was thinking about going through Chattanooga and finding a route from there.
    Here's a good route from Chattanooga. You could spend all day making just that short trip but TN68 to Tellico Plains and the Cherohala to Robbinsville are great roads. Enjoy the ride!
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

With permission from CABNFVR to tweak his route, perhaps you could add a little Georgia to it and dip a little further south on I-75 to GA 2 over to US 411 (n) to pick up US 74. It give you a little less interstate to ride on. I drove that GA 2 many, many years ago in a big truck and I think I remembered it was scenic enough (more than an interstate, anyway.)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chat...d35.466753!3e0
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    With permission from CABNFVR to tweak his route, perhaps you could add a little Georgia to it ...]
    Tweak away! There are soooooo many great roads in the eastern TN, north GA, western NC area !!
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Great Input

I like both routes. May be a good idea to stay somewhere prior to doing the dragon after riding from Lebanon. I'm almost 70 and want to be alert before entering the concentration zone.

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    This is Rally related. Sort of...

I'm going from the Rally to run the Dragon and the associated area for a couple of days. What hotels would you guy recommend that are both reasonably nice (like ones that don't offer hourly rates...haha) and affordable?
    My son and I have stayed multiple times at the Sleep Inn in Gatlinburg. It's 5 blocks south of the main drag, so walkable to all the attractions (TGI Fridays, Hard Rock Café, Aquarium of the Smokies, shops, etc.), but still in a semi-quiet spot. Covered parking garage for the bikes was nice. Even trolly service if not interested in walking, though after a day in the saddles, walking was appreciated.

Gas stations and groceries to the south / entrance to Smoky Mtn. National Park to the north - both just 3 minutes away from the motel.

We even rode east into Pigeon Forge for Dolly Parton's Stampede, Titanic exhibit and other attractions/restaurants.

If you're basing yourself near the Dragon, this would be an option (albeit rather commercialized). The ride to the Dragon was into the National Park, then River Road to Townsend, then west to the Foothills Parkway, and then east to HWY 129. Just that route alone each day we teased 'The Beast' was a treat on two wheels.

After riding the Dragon and enjoying lunch and the many slices of humanity to see at Deal's Gap, several scenic rides to the southeast from there are worth it, including the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My point is - spending some time in this area is what you make of it. We rode the Dragon on weekdays, and avoided crowds. Enjoyed great dinners at the end of the day, and took in lots of sights and attractions. The motel is inexpensive, but "doesn't rent by the hour."

Just an option.
    Last edited by greenwald; 03-14-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Greenwald!! That is a great option. I may also consider camping at that motorcycle lodge at the entrance to the dragon.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I like both routes. May be a good idea to stay somewhere prior to doing the dragon after riding from Lebanon. I'm almost 70 and want to be alert before entering the concentration zone.
    Three friends from up north are sharing an AirBnB home with me overlooking Lake Nantahala. It's a perfect location for day trips to the Dragon, Cherohala, the scenic waterfall loop around Franklin and Highlands, and even dropping down to eastern SC and north GA. Three wonderful days riding the area, private bedrooms and baths, communal kitchen, deck and screened porch overlooking the lake, gated community...and only $50 per night each.

Might be worth others checking out offerings in the area.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Rally Rat

Cool

Thanks Greenwald!! That is a great option. I may also consider camping at that motorcycle lodge at the entrance to the dragon.
    FYI, though I've ridden the Dragon more times than I can count (solo, with my son, with riding buddies), we were never tempted to stay at Deal's Gap. It's noisy, crowded, rowdy at times, a heavy H-D crowd and persona, and best enjoyed as a spectator, rather than a resident.

Also, Deal's Gap is about and hour or more from anything civilized, i.e. attractions, nice restaurants, Urgent Care, etc.

Just so you know.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    FYI, though I've ridden the Dragon more times than I can count (solo, with my son, with riding buddies), we were never tempted to stay at Deal's Gap. It's noisy, crowded, rowdy at times, a heavy H-D crowd and persona, and best enjoyed as a spectator, rather than a resident.

Also, Deal's Gap is about and hour or more from anything civilized, i.e. attractions, nice restaurants, Urgent Care, etc.

Just so you know.
    Now...that is good to know

I'm dying to visit the area but my desire to steer clear of that rowdy "biker" scene will keep me from lodging too close to the dragon itself. I don't mind observing, and sometimes participating in, the spectacle but I do like to sleep in peace.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition