Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where to Stay When @ the Dragon

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I'm dying to visit the area but my desire to steer clear of that rowdy "biker" scene will keep me from lodging too close to the dragon itself. I don't mind observing, and sometimes participating in, the spectacle but I do like to sleep in peace.
    FYI, there is a string of modern motels along the highway just south of Bryson City. Have stayed there twice and nice accomodations, and not too far from The Dragon.

Gatlinburg has more 'bustle' to it, and more choices for dinner, shops, etc.

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I'm dying to visit the area but my desire to steer clear of that rowdy "biker" scene will keep me from lodging too close to the dragon itself. I don't mind observing, and sometimes participating in, the spectacle but I do like to sleep in peace.
    For those Camping Travelers, or the cabin folks. In addition to the Ironhorse mentioned frequently, there is the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground (BRMC)
    about 75mi away from the Dragon, via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

This would put you about 285 miles (minimum) away from Lebanon depending on the route chosen, if staying at BRMC.
    And at about 350-375 miles, you can make quite a ride by adding the Skyway and more.

For those arriving at the fairgrounds Monday thru Wednesday, this is not a bad option if arriving from the East.

"travel'n" john
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 04-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.

For those more in to hotels, there is the Pisgah Inn, located at 408 Blue Ridge Parkway. That's right on the parkway, not too far from the Dragon, not too far from Mt Mitchell (highest point east of the Mississippi River, and not too far from Wheels Through Time Museum of American Transportation. By the fastest route from Lebanon, it's about 270 miles/5hrs of riding. Across the road from the Pisgah Inn is the Mt Pisgah Campgrounds. Just make sure you have reservations. They stay booked!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

I concur

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I always hate to say stuff like this; but I will.

Back in the day "Pete" ran the store at the south end of the Dragon. He remembered Voni after three years and made us feel at home in the campground. It is a longer story than this but his will suffice. We rolled in/. He trotted to welcome us. We camped.

Pete sold out to some type of company and the store, motel, and camp area lost its appeal as corporate America took over. Now it is T shirt, and decals, and other stuff from corporate types- no longer Pete. I find it sad. Pete was Voni's friend and now the folks at the store don't know anything about anybody. Just to sell a T shirt. (Paul)
    I remember joining my local club in the late 80's and one guy always talking about a real twisty road near Smoky Mt. National Park, and how we should do it one day.

One day four of us rode down there, led by the guy who knew where it was. (He didn't know the name, just the route number 129 or something)

Anyway, we pass the Foothills Parkway rd. on the west end of the N.P. and all of a sudden the road gets real twisty and tight. We pull over and he's convinced this isn't the one. "its further up", he said.

We get to the end near NC28 and the old store is there, but not open and ready to fall over with some sign that says, "you just rode Deal's Gap". LOL

My buddy says, "well, I guess that was it".

No t-shirts
    No Photographer's in the turns
    No SQUIDS on crotch rockets

Just an amazing little road that I got to ride way back when it wasn't so famous.

RPGR90s

I have stayed at the Fontana 6 times with my S2000 group and it was always such a nice place to stay. we started getting a cabin there the last few years, same price but it made for a funnier stay...

Imported Norwegian Viking viking59's Avatar
    Ironhorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk