• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to Stay When @ the Dragon

pappy35

This is Rally related. Sort of...

I'm going from the Rally to run the Dragon and the associated area for a couple of days. What hotels would you guy recommend that are both reasonably nice (like ones that don't offer hourly rates...haha) and affordable?

My favorite in the area is Tellico Lodge in Tellico Plains. It’s on the west side of Cherohala Skyway and is a special place (even has a garage for the bikes). Tellico Plains is a quaint resort town with a few decent restaurants and lots of good riding. Convenient access to the interstate coming to and from the Rally.

Foothills Parkway Panorama.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite in the area is Tellico Lodge in Tellico Plains. It’s on the west side of Cherohala Skyway and is a special place (even has a garage for the bikes). Tellico Plains is a quaint resort town with a few decent restaurants and lots of good riding. Convenient access to the interstate coming to and from the Rally.

View attachment 72877

do you mean "the lodge at tellico"?

The Fontana lodge is in the near proximity and is one of the weekend getaways, albeit in April. I enjoyed my stay and there are a number of fun and scenic routes in the area, many of which are less crowded.

I always hate to say stuff like this; but I will.

Back in the day "Pete" ran the store at the south end of the Dragon. He remembered Voni after three years and made us feel at home in the campground. It is a longer story than this but his will suffice. We rolled in/. He trotted to welcome us. We camped.

Pete sold out to some type of company and the store, motel, and camp area lost its appeal as corporate America took over. Now it is T shirt, and decals, and other stuff from corporate types- no longer Pete. I find it sad. Pete was Voni's friend and now the folks at the store don't know anything about anybody. Just to sell a T shirt. (Paul)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sir - it's the Lodge at Tellico. I've been staying there a half dozen times a year for several years and think very highly of Walt and Anna - quality folks that run an upscale Adirondack-style lodge that caters especially to motorcyclists.

http://lodgeattellico.com/

thanks! i looked up "tellico lodge" and it is not exactly a place to stay..:) i will be down there first week in may and the "lodge at tellico" looks like a great stopover!

The "Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge" is very close and has some advantages. Especially with groups. Fontana Villiage is a more traditional place to stay, but getting a room when there is a group having a rally can also be a problem. Both of these are quite a ways from "civilization".

I have an event I attend there every year. I often stay in Bryson City, will again this year. There is a Microtel Inn there, right off of 74, that is a nice place. If you book now, costs are pretty good. I think I am at about $80 a night for 5 nights this year. Wait till a week before, and you will pay $120 or more.

Kickstand lodge is less upscale than Iron Horse by a mile, but the vibe is much much cooler. Mo, who owns it, is a cool lady. If you choose Iron Horse, don’t forget your doo rag and your class A motor home with enclosed orange and black motorcycle trailer.

For moteling, consider Tuskegee Inn

When actually riding, avoid the Dragon except mid-week unless you want to be mowed down by an idiot in the wrong lane. Many better safer roads are nearby.

Last edited:
+1 with Lee and others - the Tail of the Dragon is *interesting* but not a particularly safe road on the weekends because of the crowds. The Dragon demands close attention and is not what I could consider a relaxed scenic ride - you really can't take your eyes off the road even for a few seconds. The Cherohala Skyway is much nicer, relaxing, and scenic; it's curves are more predictable, lots of pull-offs for rest and views, and a great road surface.

Don't miss the Foothills Parkway if you are in the area. The extension to this great road opened a couple of months ago and it's awesome.

Robbinsville is a convenient place to stay as it sits in the middle of some incredible roads, but it has too much of a "pirate" flavor for my taste. Tellico Plains is much more laid back, although you could argue that it offers fewer amenities. Maryville is the largest town in the area and offers everything.

Have fun!

IMG_0346.jpg

The TaPoCo Lodge isn't too far south. Motorcycle oriented. They have great cabins at very reasonable prices. The restaurant is right along the river. If you stop, be sure to get the deep fried trout nuggets with sriracha sauce!

f7bca1a3cbae9381129f02832c424a57.jpg
1f9367cc37416f594f42440cee721141.jpg
9b23cf2b95477c3c778f5aff7385af1a.jpg
5c85b7c7e97fc2a3150b6858571a8c88.jpg
bdab68bb083776f16e4f0e7c60df71dc.jpg
d002de32ad2fab4515bc4db03a9a6965.jpg
94e7226ffc6a51808945fc067c797607.jpg
76cab5a046bca5c2a487cd16be9a9035.jpg
be657c6b15ed86b40af97c886783fccb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
++1 on Tapoco Lodge! I can spend hours having lunch on the porch overlooking the river and motorcycles going up and down the highway. Really nice place near the beginning of the Tail of the Dragon.

IMG_0141.jpg

I'm heading down to ride in the area with a bunch of K1600 guys in May.

I will be staying here: http://twowheelinn.com/

It is reasonably priced, motorcycle friendly and gets great reviews. A family owned business and the folks are great and really accommodating.
Check it out.

Ride safe.

Joe

The dragon

"Where to stay when at the dragon?"

Away:)

Absolutely. When i was there in 1979 it was not a known destination. No Winnebagos. No squids on sport bikes falling off the side of the road. No excessive LEO presence. "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
On the other hand, this notoriety means that there are plenty of great roads in the area if you look. I know plenty of comparable routes within 100 miles of Lebanon! I'm just not telling anyone about them.

I wonder if they still have the fresh rainbow trout dinner at the lodge at the Unicoi State Park outside of Helen, GA?

When leaving Lebanon

When leaving the rally, I would like to approach the dragon from the south heading north. Do any of you know a good route to get there? I was thinking about going through Chattanooga and finding a route from there.

Back