Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Need Help Identifying System Cases I have for Sale

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    139

    Need Help Identifying System Cases I have for Sale

    I have a set of system cases I purchased from an outfit in the UK. They were misclassified as coming off an R1150R (that's the bike I have), but they didn't fit. They checked in with a BMW dealer who suggested that they are from a K1200GT, but apparently that's not correct either.

    Too much hassle to send them back, so I kept them to sell them here in the US instead. I put them up in the Marketplace here and a fellow MOA member suggested that they came off a K1200RS, but the part numbers don't match. I want to ensure that whoever buys them gets the correct matching ones.

    So, with that I am seeking help identifying what bike model(s) and years they fit. Here are the part numbers:

    Left Lid: 4654 2317 613
    Left Inner: 4654 7660 387
    Right Lid: 4654 2317 614
    Right Inner: 7 669 892

    Here are images of the set. Hope this helps identifying them. I appreciate any input!

    BMW Panniers - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (13) - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (12) - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (11) - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (10) - Flipped.jpg

  2. #2
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,073
    2003-2004 K1200GT bikes used the same bags as K1200RS bikes of that vintage, and those bags do not look a match to the RS/GT. I can’t tell for sure what those bags fit. Possibly an R1100RT?

    Good luck,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  3. #3
    MontanaMark kmellzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    2003-2004 K1200GT bikes used the same bags as K1200RS bikes of that vintage, and those bags do not look a match to the RS/GT. I can’t tell for sure what those bags fit. Possibly an R1100RT?

    Good luck,
    DG
    Nope, not R1100RT. Different "Hanger" tabs. Wouldn't fit an 1100. Maybe check with MaxBmw. The may be able to tell you based on the part numbers you've listed.

    Cheers,
    Mark

  4. #4
    Registered User mlytle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    alexandria, va
    Posts
    323
    you sure those part numbers are correct? none of them are valid according to realoem.com.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

  5. #5
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    you sure those part numbers are correct? none of them are valid according to realoem.com.
    I've never seen a BMW part whose molded-in number actually matches it's number on the fiche. Sometimes some of the the numbers are the same, but never all of them. I guess they are there for the convenience of the part supplier, but not for the consumer or dealer.

    Without another set of bags for comparison, it will be very difficult to say which bike(s) these will fit. These bags could provide an excuse to go to the national rally where there will be many bikes to compare. Take along some pictures and some careful measurements and wander the grounds until you find a match. Once you find one bike that they will fit, realoem can provide the correct part number and a list of other bikes that the bags will fit.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    you sure those part numbers are correct? none of them are valid according to realoem.com.
    Indeed. If what is imprinted on the inside of the cases are the part numbers, then yes. Someone else pointed out that those are production runs and not part numbers, but if I am looking at various models on Max BMW's fiches, the part numbers for the lids almost line up. The ones I looked up are off by just a digit (316 instead of 314 at the end, for example). So I figured that those are indeed the part numbers.

    I'll give Max BMW a call to see if they can help.

    BMW Panniers (4) - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (5) - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (7) - Flipped.jpg
    BMW Panniers (6) - Flipped.jpg

  7. #7
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    5,944
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    2003-2004 K1200GT bikes used the same bags as K1200RS bikes of that vintage, and those bags do not look a match to the RS/GT. I can’t tell for sure what those bags fit. Possibly an R1100RT?

    Good luck,
    DG
    For sure, not from a 03 or 04 K1200GT because that model had color matched lid.
    I don't have pictures of our old 2003 K1200RS bags to see if the attachment points match.
    The muffler cutout is on the correct side.

    Hopefully someone with a K1200RS can take a look at the back side of their bags to see if they match.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I've never seen a BMW part whose molded-in number actually matches it's number on the fiche. Sometimes some of the the numbers are the same, but never all of them. I guess they are there for the convenience of the part supplier, but not for the consumer or dealer.

    Without another set of bags for comparison, it will be very difficult to say which bike(s) these will fit. These bags could provide an excuse to go to the national rally where there will be many bikes to compare. Take along some pictures and some careful measurements and wander the grounds until you find a match. Once you find one bike that they will fit, realoem can provide the correct part number and a list of other bikes that the bags will fit.
    Very good suggestion re: the national rally. :-)

    I did find another thread where someone was in a similar situation having to match the numbers inside the cases to a bike model.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-case-dillemma

    Mark responded with the numbers of one the cases matching excatly what I have and belonging to a "04 GT" right side. What he didn't state is with GT (K or R), so I asked him. The left side is still a mystery.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    For sure, not from a 03 or 04 K1200GT because that model had color matched lid.
    I don't have pictures of our old 2003 K1200RS bags to see if the attachment points match.
    The muffler cutout is on the correct side.

    Hopefully someone with a K1200RS can take a look at the back side of their bags to see if they match.
    I think I am getting closer. I found another thread (see my other post) where MSW (Mark) identified the right side with the exact matching numbers of the right side I have as an "04 GT". As you stated, the K1200GT had color matched lids, I assume he referenced an R model.

    I truly appreciate all the assistance. Wish this would be easier by finding the matches in the fiches. I'm waiting for Max BMW to get started with their day. I'm hoping they can further clarify.

  10. #10
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    5,944
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    I think I am getting closer. I found another thread (see my other post) .
    Looks like you have a match.

    GT/RS right inner 7 669 892
    GT/RS right outer 4654-2317614

    GT/RS left inner 4654-2317613
    GT/RS left outer 7 669 887

    Pretty sure the mount was the same for 1998 to 2004 K1200RS.
    The bags will also fit the 03 and 04 K1200GT, they just wont be color matched.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Looks like you have a match.

    GT/RS right inner 7 669 892
    GT/RS right outer 4654-2317614

    GT/RS left inner 4654-2317613
    GT/RS left outer 7 669 887

    Pretty sure the mount was the same for 1998 to 2004 K1200RS.
    The bags will also fit the 03 and 04 K1200GT, they just wont be color matched.
    Only the right side matches so far. On the left the jury is still out. I think what Mark identified as the left inner is actually the left outer lid, at least when I look at the lid number on the one I have. The left inner is not matching with his GT/RS.

  12. #12
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    5,944
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    Only the right side matches so far. On the left the jury is still out. I think what Mark identified as the left inner is actually the left outer lid, at least when I look at the lid number on the one I have. The left inner is not matching with his GT/RS.
    See what you mean when I go back and look at your pictures.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  13. #13
    OILKOPF r184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,563
    Left side case is similar to one for a 2002 K1200RS. The lower inside portion of the case is cut higher to clear the higher pipe on the RS.
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Montreal (CANADA)
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    I have a set of system cases I purchased from an outfit in the UK. They were misclassified as coming off an R1150R (that's the bike I have), but they didn't fit. They checked in with a BMW dealer who suggested that they are from a K1200GT, but apparently that's not correct either.

    Too much hassle to send them back, so I kept them to sell them here in the US instead. I put them up in the Marketplace here and a fellow MOA member suggested that they came off a K1200RS, but the part numbers don't match. I want to ensure that whoever buys them gets the correct matching ones.

    So, with that I am seeking help identifying what bike model(s) and years they fit. Here are the part numbers:

    Left Lid: 4654 2317 613
    Left Inner: 4654 7660 387
    Right Lid: 4654 2317 614
    Right Inner: 7 669 892
    ...
    ....
    Here are images of the set. Hope this helps identifying them. I appreciate any input!
    Just looking at your pictures, I was 90% sure it was from a K1200RS (all years are the same). Of course, as other have mentioned, they cannot have been removed from a K1200GT (2003-2005) since your lids are not color painted (although they would fit both K1200RS and K1200GT having the same brackets / mounts from factory).

    SO.... I went in garage to look at the numbers stamped inside mine: a K1200RS of 2002 with factory option sidecases of same shape and black. All my numbers will match yours except for the Inner-LEFT: in my case I have a short/abbreviated number "7 669 887"

    Given the habit of the BMW mother ship to change / supercede part numbers along the 4 to 8 years production of many models, I do not think it is much of a concern that the Inner-Left does no match in terms of part number. The shape of both and the match on the right side, is enough to convince me. TAKE NOTE that THIS SPECIFIC right side INNER will fit only the K1200RS/GT models, hence more evidence the left will also match. No other BMW models in their lineup has the same part number for these sidecases INNER parts either LEFT or RIGHT (only the covers are common with R1100 / R1150 platform).

    OF COURSE if I was in your shoes, it would prefer to sell "in person" for the physical fit on the bike of the potential buyer - compare to shipping these.
    JEAN
    Montreal (CANADA)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Current: K1200RS (2002) with 95,000 miles (154,000 KM)

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by myK1200rs View Post
    Just looking at your pictures, I was 90% sure it was from a K1200RS (all years are the same). Of course, as other have mentioned, they cannot have been removed from a K1200GT (2003-2005) since your lids are not color painted (although they would fit both K1200RS and K1200GT having the same brackets / mounts from factory).

    SO.... I went in garage to look at the numbers stamped inside mine: a K1200RS of 2002 with factory option sidecases of case shape and black.
    All my numbers will match yours except for the Inner-LEFT: in my case I have a short/abbreviated number "7 669 887"

    Given the habit of the mothership to change / supercede part numbers along the 4 to 8 years production of many models, I do not think it is much of a concern that the Inner-Left does no match in terms of part number. The shape of both and the match on the right side, is enough to convince me. TAKE NOTE that THIS SPECIFIC right side INNER will fit only the K1200RS/GT models, hence more evidence the left will also match. No other BMW models in their lineup has the same part number for these sidecases INNER parts (only the covers are common with R1100 / R1150 platform).

    OF COURSE if i was in your shoes, it would be better to sell "in person" for the physical fit on the bike of the potential buyer - compare to shipping these.
    WOW! Great feedback! Thanks for taking the time to look at your cases and pass on your findings. I think I will run with it and see if someone local is interested in them.

Similar Threads

  1. System Cases 76 R90/6
    By plehman in forum Airheads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 09:43 PM
  2. system 3 cases
    By rhdake in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
  3. What's in your system cases?
    By henzilla in forum Campfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-31-2007, 12:01 AM
  4. WTB inner system cases
    By jshuck in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 02:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •