• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 MOA National

While Des Moines was hot, the rally was remarkably well-organized and between the shade trees and air conditioned buildings it was easy to avoid the summer heat. The only exceptions were those poor outdoor vendors!

I'd go back, especially now that the rally is held in June. Salt Lake City, on the other hand, was just brutally hot - and navigating through city traffic to reach the cooler mountains was too much for me. I left early. Next time I visit Utah will be in early spring or late autumn.

Pete

I enjoyed both Salt Lake and Des Moines. In both locations I found shady places to park :thumb

Traffic in Salt Lake was a bit of a pain in the afternoon but found secondary roads that worked well. And the hotel we stayed at in Salt Lake (yes ... I am a motel / hotel guy) was superb! Very Motorcycle friendly and numerous dining options within walking distance.

Same for Des Moines but the hotel was not quite as nice but still had nice dining options we could walk to. I would go back to either.

Folks believe Nashville in June will be cooler ... we will see. :scratch

Folks believe Nashville in June will be cooler ... we will see. :scratch[/QUOTE]

.... Very true, the TN nights should cool off quicker at sunset with morning temps very pleasant... but come noon till 7pm, you may think it's July!

But come year 2020; yep... next year! If the MOA National is within the month of June, plus in the vicinity of western mountains (elevation & low humidity)...
the Rally we've all been waiting for will finally happen. I expect June travels across Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Pacific NW and Canada would be fantastic.

"travel'n" john

.... Very true, the TN nights should cool off quicker at sunset with morning temps very pleasant... but come noon till 7pm, you may think it's July!

But come year 2020; yep... next year! If the MOA National is within the month of June, plus in the vicinity of western mountains (elevation & low humidity)...
the Rally we've all been waiting for will finally happen. I expect June travels across Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Pacific NW and Canada would be fantastic.

"travel'n" john[/QUOTE]

You are optimistic about June in Nashville but I totally agree about the West! The last cool Rally was in West Bend, WI and that was JULY! Looking forward to the 2020 location!

Just did some checking and average JUNE temp for Nashville is 86 day 65 night ..... July in Salt Lake is 93 day and 65 night! I believe Nashville is pretty dang humid to boot. Summer is summer and that means warm temps in most places.

Greeter

I like it!

Johnson City was an interesting rally. When I arrived and selected a spot to set up my tent I was greeted by a woman who informed me I could not set up there (fifty yards from her) unless I had accepted Jesus as my personal lord and savior. I gave her a long look, taking in the dozens of pins and patches proclaiming her piety, and decided I didn't want to camp that close to her. For a day and a half the only people who greeted me were the vendors; everyone else seemed to be members of closed cliques.

Remembering that feeling, I now go out of my way to welcome anyone wearing a 1st Timer button. If there was a volunteer position to welcome rally newcomers, I'd sign up in a flash!

Pete
Volunteer for registration. It's my favorite of all the venues I've volunteered. Ya get to meet seasoned and first timers. Take all the time needed for each arriving person to feel welcomed and guided.
John

Volunteer for registration. It's my favorite of all the venues I've volunteered. Ya get to meet seasoned and first timers. Take all the time needed for each arriving person to feel welcomed and guided.
John

I agree that Registration is a great place to volunteer. I have done that at several MOA rallies, but there are many other great venues that are fun volunteering activities.

Volunteers are needed for many, many committees. :thumb

I agree that Registration is a great place to volunteer. I have done that at several MOA rallies, but there are many other great venues that are fun volunteering activities.

Volunteers are needed for many, many committees. :thumb

The bike wash is great too, but not much is said about it.

While stationed in Carolina I learned that Southerners have a few tricks to beat the heat. I'm betting the rally organizers will employ several of them to keep us comfy.

Pete

John

For the sake of my dog's long tail I tend to avoid crowded places where it might be stepped on. I might just make a kissing booth and sell 50/50 tickets. Buy ten or more and get an enthusiastic dog kiss!

For the sake of my dog's long tail I tend to avoid crowded places where it might be stepped on. I might just make a kissing booth and sell 50/50 tickets. Buy ten or more and get an enthusiastic dog kiss!
I’ve see photos of your dogs ... I’m in!!

They are cuties

2020 Dreaming...

I am just excited about a "west" location which means a nice ride there and back!

Wyoming or Montana would be my preference but South Dakota would be nice too ... Black Hills, Bad Lands and Spearfish Canyon!

... I can sure imagine a MOA National, during the third or fourth week of June... within ANY of those three!
Maybe take a nice Lewis & Clark Trail journey out the Missouri River, to about Great Falls or Missoula, Montana.
Then ride the Bitteroot & northern Rocky Mountains while going to the Rally Site.

"travel'n" John

Last edited:
I wonder...

The location is usually announced at the April MOA Board meeting. We'll probably have to wait a few more weeks to find out.

... seems the next BOD Meeting is MAY 2nd & 3rd (info derived from Nov's BOD minutes)

Will we really have to wait that long to know for sure?

travel'n" john

So true... and normal it would seem.

More pages about next year than this year :scratch
OM

... The "2019 BMWMOA location" thread started on 1/11/18 and had 12 pages with 172 Replies and 22,236 Views.

But that pales in comparison to the 2018 rally thread, started by some-guy named PGlaves on 5/7/17...

with 24 pages and 354 Comments... and a staggering 62,310 Views!

I'm guessing it really indicates... just how "futuristic" our members really are.

Rather like Shift-Cam technology and micro-brews in the MOA Beer Garden!

"travel'n" john

I see someone co-opted my previous thread... Anyway...

Top 2020 Rally choices: 1) New Mexico 2) California 3) Colorado

Anywhere with mountain roads! Even better with a nice creek to drop a fly or two! And maybe some Aspens? Naw, can't be had I guess...

Regards: Chuck

PS: Paul "just say no" to Fargo!

Back