Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 MOA National

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Only because about ten members - old men camping the mud - made a huge stink.
    MOA members make a huge stink??? NO!

I had a great time at that rally, it's a bummer that we derived "institutional knowledge" from what was a minor bit of bad luck and I like seeing us trying some different ways to do things.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    2038- Forest Lawn

"You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    MOA members make a huge stink??? NO!

I had a great time at that rally, it's a bummer that we derived "institutional knowledge" from what was a minor bit of bad luck and I like seeing us trying some different ways to do things.
    I still think it was an idea way ahead of its time. One giant air conditioned building to house all the vendors, seminars, office space, vintage display and closing ceremony. Free parking at the site and the entire third floor of the Mall parking garage with security, as well as the Mayor closing two city streets for parking. Rental cost of the facility was way less than the usual county fairground. I am sure Paul knows what the bottom line cost was for the Bloomsburg Rally Lots of lodging, restaurants, shopping and entertainment within easy walking.

As Paul points out above, we did get affected by last minute changes to situations that had been negotiated in good faith over the past year, primarily the use of the college fields and the bus situation. On the other hand, the cooperation of the Civic Center management and staff, the office of the Mayor, the citizens of Charleston and the State ABC was outstanding and highly enthusiastic. The riding in any direction 2 miles outside the city limits was outstanding.

I will note that our current Regional Gatherings follow the blueprint of the Charleston Rally, albeit on a lesser scale and a higher event cost, than the original. BTW, Charleston also made a LOT of money for the MOA due to cost containments and good negotiations. What recent MOA Rally can make that claim??

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Beatty lacks sufficient motel rooms, tho you could always stay at the Clown Motel up the road in Tonopah.
    http://www.tonopahnevada.com/clown-motel/

Sleep tight,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Can we get serious?

Either Boise, ID neighborhood or northern NM

Stay away from the Pacific coast!

Been to Salem & SLC recently; AZ is just too fargin Hot!

RA had a splendid get-together in Red River, NM....

Just adding R 2 cents....
    P & K in Rocket City USA

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Either Boise, ID neighborhood or northern NM
    Every time I've passed through Boise it was like riding in an oven! If the location is right, I'd really like to drop south along the BRP and Natchez Trace, up to the Ozarks and Ouachita Ranges, then take a southerly route across Colorado and Utah (with all the fantastic riding along the way) ending up at the Cambria CA Getaway. After that Glenlivet and I would meander up the coast catching the redwoods, Crater Lake, St Helens, Olympic Peninsula, Rainer, and North Cascades before going to wherever the rally will be.

While the distances out West are vast, there is so much to see!

SharedLook.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Every time I've passed through Boise it was like riding in an oven!
    There is a reason I have labeled Boise as "Furnace Creek North", much to the chagrin of my friend Greg Feeler who has the ignominy of actually living there. The last time near there in triple digit temperatures we bailed on going into Boise and scrambled uphill to get to Stanley where a human can survive without the need for hydration via IV drip (only partly )
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Only because about ten members - old men camping the mud - made a huge stink. The single failure at that rally was when the bus drivers who were supposed to provide shuttle service walked off the job in the evening. The MOA was a victim of a union-management dispute that was ongoing.
    Paul,
    It was a LOT more than ten people pissed off about Charleston - and it wasn't just about the shuttle. Having a Board of Directors shirt or name badge there was like wearing a bullseye, and we received petitions asking to never do that kind of a format again.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

There is a reason I have labeled Boise as "Furnace Creek North", much to the chagrin of my friend Greg Feeler who has the ignominy of actually living there. The last time near there in triple digit temperatures we bailed on going into Boise and scrambled uphill to get to Stanley where a human can survive without the need for hydration via IV drip (only partly )
    This is all part of our plan to keep even more people from moving to Boise. Doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. Years ago we would only have a few days above 100 scattered over July and early August - usually July. The summer of 2018 was incredibly hot. I don't know the count, but just about the whole month of July was above 97 degrees, with many 100 and 100+ days. I learned a lot about tweaking the cooling system on K75s.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Pueblo

Colorado State Fairgrounds?

34EED6B9-94B4-43D5-9F68-258F3A4B472A.png

If you want a rally in Calgary, the Stampede grounds would be out for the traditional July dates as that is when the Stampede itself is held. With the recent decision to move away from the traditional dates this is workable. Later towards the end of July might work after the show is packed up and cleared out. June could work, but the weather can still be a crap shoot for cool and wet conditions. Mid summer is generally pretty good and seldom overly hot, typically 25-30 C (75-85 F) in the daytime and cool at night. Lots of great day rides out of here too (both highway and GS suitable) with the mountains just an hour to the west.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Well if we don't want to do Calgary. There must be some places in Washington or Oregon, I'm looking forward to seeing that part of the country, just need an excuse and finally after 34 years with same company I now have 4 weeks vacation with the option to buy a fifth week.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    I know the "Blue Zone" for 2020 is a tote from central Maine, but with 25 to 30 days available...
    you can certainly tour the Pacific NW a tad depending on the rally month.

And if they cross us up, and choose Calgary... you've got a round trip even I would like to take!

"travel'n" john

Idaho?

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    This is all part of our plan to keep even more people from moving to Boise. Doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. Years ago we would only have a few days above 100 scattered over July and early August - usually July. The summer of 2018 was incredibly hot. I don't know the count, but just about the whole month of July was above 97 degrees, with many 100 and 100+ days. I learned a lot about tweaking the cooling system on K75s.
    Pardonez Moi! My mention of Boise was just to visit the great NW a bit Inland, making the assumption that Boise would have the largest fairgrounds for a national M/C rally... Additionally, I thought the MOA had settled on June gatherings in order to avoid another Bloomsburg (or Des Moines) summer meltdown! Skip Boise if some other community in Idaho has the space and wants to make us an offer we can't refuse. Idaho would also be more inviting for the neighbors to the north... Then again, The Land of Enchantment also has its Pluses & Minuses...

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    I know the "Blue Zone" for 2020 is a tote from central Maine, but with 25 to 30 days available...
    you can certainly tour the Pacific NW a tad depending on the rally month.

And if they cross us up, and choose Calgary... you've got a round trip even I would like to take!

"travel'n" john
    Ed, Rinty and I might have to acquaint you with 'Cowboys' watering hole too.

One thing we do have is some very good choices in locally brewed beers for those inclined.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo