• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 MOA National

If you want a rally in Calgary, the Stampede grounds would be out for the traditional July dates as that is when the Stampede itself is held. With the recent decision to move away from the traditional dates this is workable. Later towards the end of July might work after the show is packed up and cleared out. June could work, but the weather can still be a crap shoot for cool and wet conditions. Mid summer is generally pretty good and seldom overly hot, typically 25-30 C (75-85 F) in the daytime and cool at night. Lots of great day rides out of here too (both highway and GS suitable) with the mountains just an hour to the west.

Well if we don't want to do Calgary. There must be some places in Washington or Oregon, I'm looking forward to seeing that part of the country, just need an excuse and finally after 34 years with same company I now have 4 weeks vacation with the option to buy a fifth week.

I know the "Blue Zone" for 2020 is a tote from central Maine, but with 25 to 30 days available...
you can certainly tour the Pacific NW a tad depending on the rally month.

And if they cross us up, and choose Calgary... you've got a round trip even I would like to take!

"travel'n" john

Idaho?

This is all part of our plan to keep even more people from moving to Boise. Doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. Years ago we would only have a few days above 100 scattered over July and early August - usually July. The summer of 2018 was incredibly hot. I don't know the count, but just about the whole month of July was above 97 degrees, with many 100 and 100+ days. I learned a lot about tweaking the cooling system on K75s.

Pardonez Moi! My mention of Boise was just to visit the great NW a bit Inland, making the assumption that Boise would have the largest fairgrounds for a national M/C rally... Additionally, I thought the MOA had settled on June gatherings in order to avoid another Bloomsburg (or Des Moines) summer meltdown! Skip Boise if some other community in Idaho has the space and wants to make us an offer we can't refuse. Idaho would also be more inviting for the neighbors to the north... Then again, The Land of Enchantment also has its Pluses & Minuses... :nod

I know the "Blue Zone" for 2020 is a tote from central Maine, but with 25 to 30 days available...
you can certainly tour the Pacific NW a tad depending on the rally month.

And if they cross us up, and choose Calgary... you've got a round trip even I would like to take!

"travel'n" john
Ed, Rinty and I might have to acquaint you with 'Cowboys' watering hole too. ;)

One thing we do have is some very good choices in locally brewed beers for those inclined.

Is there a list anywhere of venues that meet our requirements? If not, is there a list of those requirements so members can keep their eyes open and make suggestions that meet the MOA inclusion criteria?

Pete

Ed, Rinty and I might have to acquaint you with 'Cowboys' watering hole too. ;)

One thing we do have is some very good choices in locally brewed beers for those inclined.

I've done a lot of research in that area. :beer:bottle:drink :hungover

I would suggest that the main problem with the Stampede grounds as a venue is a serious lack of grass space for tenting.

Interesting options, but I suspect the 2020 contract has already been set. Facilities big enough to host the MOA rally, and with suitable facilities, generally run their bookings as much as three years out. By all means keep the research and suggestions going, just be aware that facility selection has to look further into the future than you might think.

Best,
DG

Thanks, Lee. Is there a list of sites that have already been evaluated/vetted?

I think there are a half dozen or so sites that have proven to be superior. Missoula, Saint Paul, Bend, OR, the one in the Hudson Valley, etc. And there are also the losers: Bloomsburg at the top of that list.

If I were King I would find the best two sites in each of the three zones and just keep using them. But, alas, I am not the MOA King.

I think there are a half dozen or so sites that have proven to be superior. Missoula, Saint Paul, Bend, OR, the one in the Hudson Valley, etc. And there are also the losers: Bloomsburg at the top of that list.

If I were King I would find the best two sites in each of the three zones and just keep using them. But, alas, I am not the MOA King.

Makes complete sense to me. The vetting process would shorten (but wouldn't be eliminated) since time, people and facilities change... I do like riding to different parts of the continent though but do want to end up at a nice venue as well.

...and every two cycles through or so maybe a single venue in the upper part of North America.

Des Moines was a great site. The temps a bit hot. But a change to a June date would help that a lot. I spent a day on the range with the Camp Gears young people. It was hot. But the venue was great and I would go back in June almost any year. Except when we go to Fargo. :)

Thanks. The rally in Vermont was very well attended...but looking at the requirements I'm not sure the Essex Fairgrounds would make the cut again. I wonder how many other stellar areas no longer cut the mustard.

Members look for different things in a rally. Some insist it have exciting rides in near proximity, while others plan exciting rides there and back. Some love to see all the vendors' offerings, while others live in places blessed with well-stocked dealers. Some camp to enjoy the camaraderie while others insist on a soft bed and a private shower.

I think attempts to please everyone will lengthen our list of inclusion criteria till we block ourselves out of some very nice sites and find ourselves in a spiral of decreasing attendance. St Paul and Des Moines were both very nice, well organized rallies that were not given a chance by many who looked only at the surrounding area. My first rally was Johnson City TN. It was very nearly my last as aside from the registration tent I felt very much an outsider. I was delighted at the next rally I attended to see the First Timer buttons and the welcoming reaction of rally veterans throughout the grounds. A huge thanks to whoever came up with that idea!

To encourage attendance of new members, how about giving one free rally voucher to riders who join the MOA? They know they have a good bike when they buy a BMW; let's encourage them to meet the family.

Pete

... AND wouldn't be nice if the Rally (MOA) did that with our event...
until WE were recruited by "somewhere" that wanted us ($$$) enough... to do even better than their business competition!

"travel'n" John

Great idea

Thanks. The rally in Vermont was very well attended...but looking at the requirements I'm not sure the Essex Fairgrounds would make the cut again. I wonder how many other stellar areas no longer cut the mustard.

Members look for different things in a rally. Some insist it have exciting rides in near proximity, while others plan exciting rides there and back. Some love to see all the vendors' offerings, while others live in places blessed with well-stocked dealers. Some camp to enjoy the camaraderie while others insist on a soft bed and a private shower.

I think attempts to please everyone will lengthen our list of inclusion criteria till we block ourselves out of some very nice sites and find ourselves in a spiral of decreasing attendance. St Paul and Des Moines were both very nice, well organized rallies that were not given a chance by many who looked only at the surrounding area. My first rally was Johnson City TN. It was very nearly my last as aside from the registration tent I felt very much an outsider. I was delighted at the next rally I attended to see the First Timer buttons and the welcoming reaction of rally veterans throughout the grounds. A huge thanks to whoever came up with that idea!

To encourage attendance of new members, how about giving one free rally voucher to riders who join the MOA? They know they have a good bike when they buy a BMW; let's encourage them to meet the family.

Pete

Great idea on free rally vouchers, make it even better with a great first time swag bag ( t shirt hat beer tickets etc ). New members need lots of encouragement to socialize in person not just online.

Great idea on free rally vouchers, make it even better with a great first time swag bag ( t shirt hat beer tickets etc ). New members need lots of encouragement to socialize in person not just online.

I like it!

Johnson City was an interesting rally. When I arrived and selected a spot to set up my tent I was greeted by a woman who informed me I could not set up there (fifty yards from her) unless I had accepted Jesus as my personal lord and savior. I gave her a long look, taking in the dozens of pins and patches proclaiming her piety, and decided I didn't want to camp that close to her. For a day and a half the only people who greeted me were the vendors; everyone else seemed to be members of closed cliques.

Remembering that feeling, I now go out of my way to welcome anyone wearing a 1st Timer button. If there was a volunteer position to welcome rally newcomers, I'd sign up in a flash!

Pete

Back