• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 MOA National

Canada could not afford New York based on the value of the Canadian currency. :)

Friedle

How true! :banghead

Can't wait until our dollar reaches par again, or better still, worth more than the American buck. :dance

It has happened in the past. :thumb

Fargo will be eligible if it moves 400 or so miles west. They do it in the movies all the time. :D

Best,
DG

But he has a lot of chances in 2021 and 2022.

Fargo, Arkansas
Fargo, Georgia
Fargo, Illinois
Fargo, Indiana
Fargo, Michigan
Fargo, New York
Fargo, North Dakota
Fargo, Oklahoma
Fargo, Ohio
Fargo, Texas
Fargo, Wisconsin

GD

Well, if once again the powers that be won't go along with Fargo, then it has to be at the Stampede Grounds in Calgary, Alberta. Too bad if the felons and DWI folks can't go.

We made Trenton work once. We can do it again. Vendors don't have to haul all of their stuff with customs hassles. Some stuff, lots of brochures and/or catalogs, and on-line ordering makes it a lot easier now than back then. And Canadian vendors can have a field day. And the US $ is strong. Now is the time, or I will soon be pushing Winnipeg- right Yoda?

Note: There not any smiley faces in this post!

I will never again even contenplate going to such a dump fairgrounds as Bloomsburg in triple digit temperatures. Way too many hospital runs in those conditions.

We have headquartered out of Gunnison a couple times and it worked well for day rides.
What facility do they have that can handle a National?

Might be kinda cramped but I was thinkin' the Western Colorado Univ. grounds with Legion and Jurgensen Parks and the several hotels in town.

Am I dreamn'?

SS

Well, if once again the powers that be won't go along with Fargo, then it has to be at the Stampede Grounds in Calgary, Alberta. Too bad if the felons and DWI folks can't go.

We made Trenton work once. We can do it again. Vendors don't have to haul all of their stuff with customs hassles. Some stuff, lots of brochures and/or catalogs, and on-line ordering makes it a lot easier now than back then. And Canadian vendors can have a field day. And the US $ is strong. Now is the time, or I will soon be pushing Winnipeg- right Yoda?

Note: There not any smiley faces in this post!

I will never again even contenplate going to such a dump fairgrounds as Bloomsburg in triple digit temperatures. Way too many hospital runs in those conditions.

I’d do Calgary in a heartbeat! And Paul has it right on all three counts-the felons, the DWIs, and the vendors. Just do it!

Best,
DG

Sorry, we don't do rallies like that any more... haven't you heard??? :brow :ha

Only because about ten members - old men camping the mud - made a huge stink. The single failure at that rally was when the bus drivers who were supposed to provide shuttle service walked off the job in the evening. The MOA was a victim of a union-management dispute that was ongoing.

While I am sure those who like to camp in the mud and urine, 29 steps from the beer tent, will disagree, it is my opinion that the Getaways prove a convention-center rally would be a real winner. The caveat is that decent camping needs to be nearby and good shuttle service is needed - the bus driver's union needs to be part of the planning. The Chamber of Commerce promises are never, ever, sufficient. They will generally say anything to get a gig. (My 30 years in City and County community and economic development give me this perspective).

Last edited:
The rally will definately be in Beatty, NV in 2020.

beatty.jpg

:jester

Attachments

• beatty.jpg
    beatty.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 258
Only because about ten members - old men camping the mud - made a huge stink.

MOA members make a huge stink??? NO! :ha

I had a great time at that rally, it's a bummer that we derived "institutional knowledge" from what was a minor bit of bad luck and I like seeing us trying some different ways to do things.

MOA members make a huge stink??? NO! :ha

I had a great time at that rally, it's a bummer that we derived "institutional knowledge" from what was a minor bit of bad luck and I like seeing us trying some different ways to do things.

I still think it was an idea way ahead of its time. One giant air conditioned building to house all the vendors, seminars, office space, vintage display and closing ceremony. Free parking at the site and the entire third floor of the Mall parking garage with security, as well as the Mayor closing two city streets for parking. Rental cost of the facility was way less than the usual county fairground. I am sure Paul knows what the bottom line cost was for the Bloomsburg Rally Lots of lodging, restaurants, shopping and entertainment within easy walking.

As Paul points out above, we did get affected by last minute changes to situations that had been negotiated in good faith over the past year, primarily the use of the college fields and the bus situation. On the other hand, the cooperation of the Civic Center management and staff, the office of the Mayor, the citizens of Charleston and the State ABC was outstanding and highly enthusiastic. The riding in any direction 2 miles outside the city limits was outstanding.

I will note that our current Regional Gatherings follow the blueprint of the Charleston Rally, albeit on a lesser scale and a higher event cost, than the original. BTW, Charleston also made a LOT of money for the MOA due to cost containments and good negotiations. What recent MOA Rally can make that claim??

Friedle

Can we get serious?

Either Boise, ID neighborhood or northern NM

Stay away from the Pacific coast!

Been to Salem & SLC recently; AZ is just too fargin Hot!

RA had a splendid get-together in Red River, NM....

Just adding R 2 cents....
P & K in Rocket City USA

Either Boise, ID neighborhood or northern NM

Every time I've passed through Boise it was like riding in an oven! If the location is right, I'd really like to drop south along the BRP and Natchez Trace, up to the Ozarks and Ouachita Ranges, then take a southerly route across Colorado and Utah (with all the fantastic riding along the way) ending up at the Cambria CA Getaway. After that Glenlivet and I would meander up the coast catching the redwoods, Crater Lake, St Helens, Olympic Peninsula, Rainer, and North Cascades before going to wherever the rally will be.

While the distances out West are vast, there is so much to see!

SharedLook.jpg

Every time I've passed through Boise it was like riding in an oven!

There is a reason I have labeled Boise as "Furnace Creek North", much to the chagrin of my friend Greg Feeler who has the ignominy of actually living there. The last time near there in triple digit temperatures we bailed on going into Boise and scrambled uphill to get to Stanley where a human can survive without the need for hydration via IV drip (only partly :) )

Only because about ten members - old men camping the mud - made a huge stink. The single failure at that rally was when the bus drivers who were supposed to provide shuttle service walked off the job in the evening. The MOA was a victim of a union-management dispute that was ongoing.

Paul,
It was a LOT more than ten people pissed off about Charleston - and it wasn't just about the shuttle. Having a Board of Directors shirt or name badge there was like wearing a bullseye, and we received petitions asking to never do that kind of a format again.

There is a reason I have labeled Boise as "Furnace Creek North", much to the chagrin of my friend Greg Feeler who has the ignominy of actually living there. The last time near there in triple digit temperatures we bailed on going into Boise and scrambled uphill to get to Stanley where a human can survive without the need for hydration via IV drip (only partly :) )

This is all part of our plan to keep even more people from moving to Boise. Doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. Years ago we would only have a few days above 100 scattered over July and early August - usually July. The summer of 2018 was incredibly hot. I don't know the count, but just about the whole month of July was above 97 degrees, with many 100 and 100+ days. I learned a lot about tweaking the cooling system on K75s.

Attachments

• Boise days above 100.jpg
    Boise days above 100.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 286
Back