• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can Am Spyder ! Is it ok for beginner?

boxerrider

Hello all, I've been married for 22 years, and my wife has never had an incline to learn riding motorcycles. Although recently, she's now enjoyed watching videos I've taken on long trips to Canada and out west and now wants part of it. She is not the type to ride in the back, she says she wants control,.. whatever that means.
Over a year ago we looked into getting her started and she got her motorcycle permit. She has not gotten her endorsement yet, but we keep on practicing. We debated at length what she should start riding with, but she was adamant about "No clutch" and No shifter. So, we purchased a Suzuki Burgman 400. She did well for a while in parking lot, school yard and such but she feels really unsettled on the roads. She's now dropped it 3 times and is afraid of climbing on it again. The Burgman 400 is a respectable 474 lbs bike and not to be taken lightly, I managed 92 mph on it.
Talking to friends and coworkers, she now decided she wants a Can Am Spyder. I never ridden a Spyder, but a 1000cc sport beast,.. I’m not sold on that idea. I've read many blogs that says that it is the most popular choice for women ridding for the first time, so it has to speak volume.

Any on here with first hand driving experience on a Can Am Spyder and willing to provide insight on whether it's appropriate for a first time rider?

Thanks
Stephane

No first hand experience other than a short parking lot ride, but my sister started riding in her 50's and loves hers. She rides every chance she gets.

Not as extreme as a sidecar rig, but it has a strange riding dynamic that, to me, makes it difficult to manage evasive action in an emergency situation. They require different skills than a 2-wheeler, but in no way would I say they require less skills - probably more when the poop hits the propeller. The width of it makes it more difficult to put it where a motorcycle can go in an emergency. It seems to combine the worst attributes of a car with the worst attributes of a motorcycle. I'd pass on it and find a nice Mazda Miata.

But then, some beginners buy full size Harleys and head off down the road duck-walking them until they reach rotation speed.

There is what I consider an amazing amount out stabilizing technology in a Spyder. I was behind a rider that was surprised by a tight corner resulting in a wheel lift a while back. The result of the wheel lift was the machine “settling” the machine right back down.
My opinion- the Spyder is a great option for someone that wants to enjoy riding but doesn’t like the inherent stability issues that are common with a motorcycle.
Good luck on your decision.
OM

Hello all, I've been married for 22 years, and my wife has never had an incline to learn riding motorcycles. Although recently, she's now enjoyed watching videos I've taken on long trips to Canada and out west and now wants part of it. She is not the type to ride in the back, she says she wants control,.. whatever that means.
Over a year ago we looked into getting her started and she got her motorcycle permit. She has not gotten her endorsement yet, but we keep on practicing. We debated at length what she should start riding with, but she was adamant about "No clutch" and No shifter. So, we purchased a Suzuki Burgman 400. She did well for a while in parking lot, school yard and such but she feels really unsettled on the roads. She's now dropped it 3 times and is afraid of climbing on it again. The Burgman 400 is a respectable 474 lbs bike and not to be taken lightly, I managed 92 mph on it.
Talking to friends and coworkers, she now decided she wants a Can Am Spyder. I never ridden a Spyder, but a 1000cc sport beast,.. I’m not sold on that idea. I've read many blogs that says that it is the most popular choice for women ridding for the first time, so it has to speak volume.

Any on here with first hand driving experience on a Can Am Spyder and willing to provide insight on whether it's appropriate for a first time rider?

Thanks
Stephane

Can- am has a new Riken model with 600 and 900 cc engine options. Lighter, simpler and cheaper than the Spyder. These have a CVT transmission, so it’s just a twist and go system.

Thanks
Stephane

I enjoy the opportunity to ride all Spyder models, and the extreme stability up front during high-speed turns actually works against the rider's safety. Easy to be thrown off.

Not for a beginner - I personally would not own one. :dunno

Last edited:

Thanks
Stephane

I've never had any desire to ride the Spyder, so no experience at all....but, I would tend to heed Lee's & Kevin's advice about their handling (especially since she is a beginner). I am not judging your wife's riding skills, but some people are not meant to ride a motorcycle (of any design). I hear so many men say they would give anything if their wives could enjoy their passion for motorcycling, and provided that you really want her to go on trips with you, you are between a rock & a hard place. Maybe the Miata would be the ticket??? Hope you can come up with a solution, but sure wouldn't want her to be in an unsafe situation.Best of luck.

it has a strange riding dynamic that, to me, makes it difficult to manage evasive action in an emergency situation. They require different skills than a 2-wheeler, but in no way would I say they require less skills - probably more when the poop hits the propeller. The width of it makes it more difficult to put it where a motorcycle can go in an emergency. It seems to combine the worst attributes of a car with the worst attributes of a motorcycle. I'd pass on it and find a nice Mazda Miata.

But then, some beginners buy full size Harleys and head off down the road duck-walking them until they reach rotation speed.

Who am I to comment after not riding for 33 years and going out and buying a K100RT; a top heavy machine. However since then I have put over 160,000 miles on my two bikes.

Last spring, I visited a friend who I had asked to take me for a ride on the back of her brand new Spyder. That didn't quite happen as she made me drive/ride it (with her on the back), for approximately 40 minutes in the city and out in the countryside. I have to agree with beemerphile above that it was initially a "strange riding dynamic", that did make it difficult to handle. I certainly did not feel confident during that 40 minute ride, although my friend told me that my first try was more successful than her's. (And she has a lot more motorcycle miles under her belt than I do, and after a month of ownership, was still learning to master it.)

Another woman I know who owns one says if you have extensive experience with snowmobiles, riding/driving a Spyder is much more intuitive.

In your situation, I would be tempted to find one to rent for a weekend to allow your wife to make an informed decision. I would also suggest starting out in parking lots and quiet suburban streets (like when I take my granddaughter for driving lessons) before actually hitting busy streets or the open roads. I sincerely hope that your wife's experience and skill set is more successful than my only experience on one.

When I tire of riding motorbikes, (translation; too old/feeble to ride) I have already decided that picking up a small Mazda will my next ride.

Let us know what finally happens regarding the Spyder.

Well Paul_F, I know that the centre of Canada is actually not as close to you as folks in the Golden Triangle believe, however, any Canadian, except for those in BC, learned how to skate at 5 years old, hang on to Dad's sled holding a rope and riding wooden sled will appreciate your equating a Can Am, made by our government bail out of Bombardier to a ski-doo.

Big difference, in my mind that is usually looking for the next, best beer stop that have cute redheads that could fall in love with me, you ride a ski-doo with your weight transfer and the throttle and when all hell breaks loose, the snow is pretty forgiving. Moose and Elk not so much.

I don't think a Can Am comes close to a motorcycle and if balance and a clutch are challenges, maybe riding is best left as bucket list wish.

I kinda got a bit of history with this as my girlfriend wanted to ride with me but when factored into the challenges of traffic/mechanics/insurance costs and just not her thing, that part of our relationship changed into fair weather trips and parking her bike.

Oh my, I don't need any more cute redheads in my life, I already have enough!

I've ridden a short jaunt on one, and it was a different experience, not bad, just different. A couple we are acquainted with have toured the country on them and absolutely love them, for one of them physically it was the only alternative. They appear to me to be well crafted and very well engineered machines. They are not a motorcycle. They don't need to be compared to a motorcycle. They are not to be ridden like a motorcycle. I like the analogy above they ride like a snowmobile which is somewhat true. With training and practice your wife may find it a fantastic alternative. I know that I will when I can no longer hold up a motorcycle.

You have probably already checked out some other internet forums specifically for the Spyder, if not, google some up and join, find out what those folks have to say.

Not to be preachy, as you know being a motorcyclist, practice time is in large parking lot to gain experience and confidence will pay large dividends in the end.

Good luck, hope you guys jump in and post some photo's of her new ride, better yet bring her to the Rally in June.

Maybe consider a Piaggio MP3? More stability than a two wheeler without trading off for an entirely different riding dynamic. Also not as wide as the other 3-wheel options.

I think Wes Fitzer's wife has a Can Am.
Maybe he'll spot this thread and give his thoughts.

Had a Can Am dealer rep guy I know tell me not to consider one, they get too many returned with warranty issues. Whispered to me on the showroom, for what that's worth to anyone considering one.

Thanks for all the feedbacks/inputs. Based on my research (so far) I've realized that the Spyder behave much more like an ATV or snowmobile "Skydoo" as we call them in Quebec, than a motorcycle.
I see all point of view expressed here and know that motorcycle or ATV ridding is definitely not for everyone. My wife is only 5'3" so it is hard to find a bike or even a scooter that will allow her to be flat footed. The Burgman 400 is easy enough to maneuver, but her issue is at low speed sharp turn, where she tends to lose her balance to to the heavy weight of the machine. When tip toe on a bike with little strength, balance is a real challenge.

I've tried to put right in her face the danger of ridding, but despite all of the videos she saw of people crashing on motorcycles, she still wants to persevere. By the way she has been a nurse for 35 years and saw plenty of damaged kids from motorcycle accidents.

I think the perspective changes so much from folks who rode motorcycles well over 20 years, then test drive a Spyder and either dislike them or simply feel uncomfortable on them. The flip side of that is any newbie rides a Spyder and feel almost immediately at ease because they don’t know better. This may or may not be a good thing, but at this point I want her to see for herself. For some it is a bit unnerving to master th clutch, shifter, weight balance, keep focus on the road, and not te least anticipate all of the idiots on the road. She doesn’t like the idea of falling (most of us would agree), but the Spyder appeal comes from just sitting on it and twisting the throttle. Yes, the machine has 110 hp, but our M4 has much more than that and she has never gotten into trouble driving it. I believe she respects the machine and the danger associated with motorcycle riding, and wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize her safety; unlike a 20 y/o kid with a brand new GSXR.

We are going to our local Can Am dealer this weekend and actually sit on one and hopefully try one for a short ride.

As for warranty issue, I don’t think BMW owners should bash other brand for that reason,... we have plenty to complain about on that department.

Who am I to comment after not riding for 33 years and going out and buying a K100RT; a top heavy machine. However since then I have put over 160,000 miles on my two bikes.

Last spring, I visited a friend who I had asked to take me for a ride on the back of her brand new Spyder. That didn't quite happen as she made me drive/ride it (with her on the back), for approximately 40 minutes in the city and out in the countryside. I have to agree with beemerphile above that it was initially a "strange riding dynamic", that did make it difficult to handle. I certainly did not feel confident during that 40 minute ride, although my friend told me that my first try was more successful than her's. (And she has a lot more motorcycle miles under her belt than I do, and after a month of ownership, was still learning to master it.)

Another woman I know who owns one says if you have extensive experience with snowmobiles, riding/driving a Spyder is much more intuitive.

In your situation, I would be tempted to find one to rent for a weekend to allow your wife to make an informed decision. I would also suggest starting out in parking lots and quiet suburban streets (like when I take my granddaughter for driving lessons) before actually hitting busy streets or the open roads. I sincerely hope that your wife's experience and skill set is more successful than my only experience on one.

When I tire of riding motorbikes, (translation; too old/feeble to ride) I have already decided that picking up a small Mazda will my next ride.

Let us know what finally happens regarding the Spyder.

Paul F, good suggestion we'll see if we can rent one for a week or a month, maybe.

BTW, my wife is from Londo, she grew up near Calrk Rd and Trafalgar. She's a graduate of Western.

Small world.

I've ridden a short jaunt on one, and it was a different experience, not bad, just different. A couple we are acquainted with have toured the country on them and absolutely love them, for one of them physically it was the only alternative. They appear to me to be well crafted and very well engineered machines. They are not a motorcycle. They don't need to be compared to a motorcycle. They are not to be ridden like a motorcycle. I like the analogy above they ride like a snowmobile which is somewhat true. With training and practice your wife may find it a fantastic alternative. I know that I will when I can no longer hold up a motorcycle.

You have probably already checked out some other internet forums specifically for the Spyder, if not, google some up and join, find out what those folks have to say.

Not to be preachy, as you know being a motorcyclist, practice time is in large parking lot to gain experience and confidence will pay large dividends in the end.

Good luck, hope you guys jump in and post some photo's of her new ride, better yet bring her to the Rally in June.

Well said, the most lucid response in the thread! Research from sources familiar with the item in question is the best place to start, and training is critical to understanding and mastering the dynamics of any new mode of transportation.

Best,
DG

I'm not sure about the Spyder but I've seen in person (at the Montreal Bike Show) that the Ryker has easily adjustable ergonomics (reach to the handlebar and footpegs). Might be a good thing since your wife is only 5ft3.

I have ridden several Spyder models, some for quite extended test rides. BLUF: I loved them all and will likely ride one when I no longer feel safe on two wheels.

As others have said, they are NOT motorcycles and should not be criticized for not being one. I did find them, however, to be far safer than any sidecar rig and any typical tricycle (one-up, two-back) vehicle I have ridden. I actively tried, after I was comfortable on the machine, to upset the thing in hard corners, emergency evasive moves, and under panic stop situations. Was never able to cause the slightest upset. The "granny system" really helps you not do anything stupid. So much so that I thought the thing was a little boring to ride. I have ridden both manual shift and auto-shift models, and they each worked well; I won't hesitate to buy either one if/when the time comes for me.

My only discomfort came when stopping, I could not get used to NOT putting a foot down. Made me feel a little clutzy.

Good luck.

I believe you are on the right path when considering these handle bor like a 4 wheeler than a motorcycle. Most Bikers have developed a certain muscle memory and reaction pattern which is not compatible with the dynamics of the Can Am. Having said that, it can be learned and these things are fun and quite comfortable in their own way.

I have over 45 years on two wheels and just added a Can Am to the stable. After only a couple of hundred miles I became very comfortable and confident on it. Those first few miles however, I was all over the road.

I believe a novice or someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before will have less trouble becoming acclimated.

By the way, you have to really lean into the turns to keep from feeling like you will be thrown off so keep in mind that these things need some body english.

I enjoy the opportunity to ride all Spyder models, and the extreme stability up front during high-speed turns actually works against the rider's safety. Easy to be thrown off.

Not for a beginner - I personally would not own one. :dunno
I think I still want a Porsche Targa.
Extreme stability and if I get thrown off......,:D
OM

Back