• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Balancing Weights on new S1000XR Wheels

On the Road
My new 2018 XR was delivered to my garage a couple of weeks ago. I’m in Minnesota, so no riding at this time of year. So far, I’ve added a few farkles and in the process noticed that there are no balancing weights on either the front or rear wheels. I’ve owned a lot of bikes and have changed a lot of tires over the years and once in a while I have had a tire/wheel balance perfectly without weights, but I’ve never seen two at the same time on the same bike. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a new XR. I suppose it’s possible that BMW has balanced the wheels without the tires and that the tires themselves are close enough to perfect to not require any balance weights. Every other new BMW I’ve purchased had at least some balancing weights on both wheels, but this is my first “S” bike. When the weather improves a bit, I will check the balance myself, but I’m curious to know if this is common enough on the S bikes that others have noticed it.

The tires are Bridgestone Battlax T30’s, my first experience with them.

Our last couple of new BMWs did not have weights on the rear wheel and I have seen other new BMWs like this sitting in shops.
I don't remember seeing any without weights on the front but it's possible.

My 2016 came with none. After changing tires (after burning the initial pair), the front had them, and subsequent changes have had the same results (i.e., weights in front but not in back).

It’s interesting that this seems to be common, or at least not unusual. I can’t wait to ride this bike! Sad to say, the forecast for tomorrow is more snow and below zero weather over the weekend. :banghead

Well now, see you made me go look! I also find that my new 2019 XR I just got at the end of January does not have any wheel weights on it at all.

Back