• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question on misting oil on rear drive

I have a 2010 K1300S with 55,000 miles. I'm not good at washing the machine regularly unless it is real dirty. So, I have noticed last Fall at storage time that the rear end has a light misting. This is probably 7,00 miles since its last bath. Is this something to panic about, rush to service before ultimate failure, replace the rear seal there, or typical?

K1300s rear drive - 1.jpg

The seal under the black plastic ring is leaking.
The repair does not cost much.

Jim Von Baden posted a thread on ADVRider on how to make this repair. I replaced the seal on my 09 R12R. Four/five years ago it took around $30 in parts and 30 minutes to do. From foggy memory; pry off the plastic cover, remove the metal retaining clip, remove the old seal by drilling a small hole and threading in a machine screw, insert the new seal by using the old seal to gently tap it in, replace retaining clip and plastic cover.

Replacing that seal is a very straightforward task, well outlined in the factory service DVD. When you buy the new seal also buy a new o-ring for the drain plug, and do use the correct quantity of BMW-recommended SAF-XO gear oil, now renamed “Castrol Syntrex Long Life 75W-90”.

Best,
DG

washing

It always good to wash it to find new leaks. I washed mine one day and found $20 under the seat.

If I had habitually washed the bike, I would not have found the misting appearing. Feel lucky to have found it before it got serious.

Thanks

I appreciate the assistance with this issue. Had thought it might be a precursor to the infamous rear end failure from the past. Had a friend have a 2014 RT have a drive shaft malfunction. The rubber binder/isolator of the shaft failed. To this day I don't understand why he kept riding when the tach and speedo changed relationship due to slippage. Anyway, I am a bit gun shy due to his recent problem. I'll take a look at it when the snow subsides. I have two other BMWs to ride in the meantime.

If I had habitually washed the bike, I would not have found the misting appearing. Feel lucky to have found it before it got serious.

It's easy to spot the leak even when the final drive is perfectly clean, at least it was for me.

It's easy to spot the leak even when the final drive is perfectly clean, at least it was for me.

That's how I found my leak. It was wet around the seal, even with the final drive being clean.

Progress

I got hold of a DVD for the K1200S (should be very similar to the K1300S). I'll check this out when I get a PC to read it. Now I'm not as worried about the situation and really appreciate the help.

Thanks for the info.

Jim Von Baden posted a thread on ADVRider on how to make this repair. I replaced the seal on my 09 R12R. Four/five years ago it took around $30 in parts and 30 minutes to do. From foggy memory; pry off the plastic cover, remove the metal retaining clip, remove the old seal by drilling a small hole and threading in a machine screw, insert the new seal by using the old seal to gently tap it in, replace retaining clip and plastic cover.

For all the 'answers' yours is the most helpful. The rest were all concerned over cleaning the bike and did not address the problem...

For all the 'answers' yours is the most helpful. The rest were all concerned over cleaning the bike and did not address the problem...

Hmm, from a personal perspective, all input should be solicited and encouraged. One can choose to ignore individual posts however doing so might have one miss a nugget of valuable information.

I know this post didn't address the problem but it might be helpful in future.

Before changing the seal, I would try to just swipe under it with a business card or something. There are "seal savers" made just for this. If there's a bit of grit in there, you might get rid of it and not have t really do that much.

Back