• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heed vs Wunderlich Crash Bars (Hi-Way Bars) On BMW 2012 R1200RT

bmcneil

Requesting feed back on quality, tube gauge, ease of installation, reliability of company, warranty experience, or any other important info to compare purchasing Heed (from Poland) vs. Wunderlich. BIKE MODEL: 2012 BMW R1200RT ....Thank you, B

Requesting feed back on quality, tube gauge, ease of installation, reliability of company, warranty experience, or any other important info to compare purchasing Heed (from Poland) vs. Wunderlich. BIKE MODEL: 2012 BMW R1200RT ....Thank you, B

If anybody knows or has seen advertising of tubular wall thickness I want to hear about it.

Theoretically”.....an engine guard or accessory should protect with some ability to “crumble” in the event of the guard was put to test. If built too rigid, a reasonable impact will transmit from the guard to the frame of the bike......possibly distorting the frame itself. Beyond normal bike “napping”, I don’t think of much bike protection. I’m running SW Motech on the F800GS and have no idea of the metallurgical aspects of the tubing, but they look adequate.
Think of the “crush zones” in vehicles.
OM

Theoretically”.....an engine guard or accessory should protect with some ability to “crumble” in the event of the guard was put to test. If built too rigid, a reasonable impact will transmit from the guard to the frame of the bike...<snip>...Think of the “crush zones” in vehicles...

I agree. I saw an image somewhere of the lower mount points of some engine guard that tore the case casting apart exposing the oil sump. $6,600 engine change right there (or a lot of bondo :) ).

I just bought a set of guards only because I'd like something other than the heads to hit first in a tip-over or low-speed get-off. I have no expectation that they will do a damned thing beyond that. Well, there's that and I signed up for one of the on-road classes at the MOA rally and, expecting to drop the thing a time or three, I decided now was as good a time as any to get a set.

I agree. I saw an image somewhere of the lower mount points of some engine guard that tore the case casting apart exposing the oil sump. $6,600 engine change right there (or a lot of bondo :) ).

I just bought a set of guards only because I'd like something other than the heads to hit first in a tip-over or low-speed get-off. I have no expectation that they will do a damned thing beyond that. Well, there's that and I signed up for one of the on-road classes at the MOA rally and, expecting to drop the thing a time or three, I decided now was as good a time as any to get a set.

Had exactly that happen to me in '09 with Wunderlich bars. Luckily found a magician TIG welder who sealed the quarter sized hole in the sump. Threw the bars away, bought metal valve covers instead. After my experience, I don't recommend using anything that bolts directly to the engine cases. But hey, it's your bike...

Back