• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle airbag for total crash protection

Honda gold wings come standard with airbags that deploy from the bike like a car. I'd not be interested in that, but something I wear would be a consideration.

Japan and another countries leo's are mandated to wear airbag vests.

I wear the Alpine Stars Tech-Air jacket. It's better than the Hellite vest because you're not tethered to the bike.

I wear the Alpine Stars Tech-Air jacket. It's better than the Hellite vest because you're not tethered to the bike.

Oh yes, there has been one or two times I've had to pull over and attach the tether because I've forgotten to hook up. :dunno

Your system would certainly be advantageous for us old farts with the occasional memory lapse. :scratch

I've got a Helite "Turtle" vest. If I flew over the hood of a car while wearing it, I'm sure it would cushion my landing and spread out forces. But I am skeptical that it would inflate fast enough to provide protection against actually colliding with the car. The video of this new product suggests it would inflate fast enough to provide direct protection in a collision with another vehicle. Call me skeptical on that...

The Alpine Stars Tech-air inflates in a few milliseconds. Fast enough to fully deploy during a rear-ender before the car even comes close to your body.

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air

Their site claims 25 milliseconds for the Alpine Stars Tech-air. Still quicker than a Helite vest which claims under 100 milliseconds as I recall.

The AlpineStars video did not impress me, as the vest does nothing to protect the cervical spine, kidneys, pelvic region, lower spine, etc.

The crash dummy is 'dead' from a broken neck.

I wear the Helite because it is mechanical - 100% reliable, as opposed to motion sensors, algorithms, batteries, etc. And with 60 lbs. of pull needed to activate, I simply get jerked back to the bike if I forget to disconnect, which by now, I never do ('motor-memory'). I'd have to hop off the bike and then fall down a ravine to blow the ballast (of course, if tumbling down a ravine, I might want it inflated!).

It inflates in less than 90 milliseconds - it takes 300-400 milliseconds to blink your eye. Ever since 1968, scientists defined 100 milliseconds as "instantaneous." That <65 millisecond difference (due to the Helite product inflating significantly more bladders of protection) is like debating that your sandbox has 3 less grains of sand than mine, and is therefore lighter, and easier to carry.

If that's not fast enough, I suggest simply riding around in multi-layers of bubble-wrap - zero inflation time for that.

As for marketing demos, Helite had independent journalists test their Turtle Vest. Besides an impressive inflation time, it took six repetitive slides down pavement, all at 60+ mph, before the vest fabric was damaged to the point of needing repair. And even then, you can send it into the factory, and they can repair it and return it to service.

Any inflation vest is better than none, so buy whatever you can afford, but I embrace the KISS principle as part of my potential life-saving matrix. It's ATGATT v2.0 for a dangerous world. :thumb

Last edited:
https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-street-airbag-system

The tech-air vest costs twice as much as the Helite Turtle vest, and also requires a compatible jacket because it is worn inside the jacket rather than outside it, so the total cost is much higher than a Helite vest.

I'll stick with my Helite vest. My main purpose is using it to defend against the possibility of hitting a deer. I would also be useful if a lane-changer knocked me off the bike and some other types of collisions. I've got the Hi-Viz version so it helps with conspicuity. As with all protective gear, I am under no illusion that these will make me invulnerable out on the mean streets.

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-street-airbag-system

The tech-air vest costs twice as much as the Helite Turtle vest, and also requires a compatible jacket because it is worn inside the jacket rather than outside it, so the total cost is much higher than a Helite vest.

I'll stick with my Helite vest. My main purpose is using it to defend against the possibility of hitting a deer. I would also be useful if a lane-changer knocked me off the bike and some other types of collisions. I've got the Hi-Viz version so it helps with conspicuity. As with all protective gear, I am under no illusion that these will make me invulnerable out on the mean streets.

:thumb

Airbag

My wife worries and some one sent her a link to one of these systems and apparently she read the thing because she said I should get one, my response well I probably would have to get a newer motorcycle, she informed me that no I would not!
So a couple of questions on the Alpinestars system any idea of total weight, any ventilation so system can be used in hot weather and is their some way of locking airbag vest thing with cable to bike or will it fit in side case ( 94 R1100RS standard case )?
Don’t think I would get used to tether system I do not think I have remembered to unplug heated vest yet before dismounting.
Would it be safe to assume Alpinestars and Helite will be at moa rally and will probably have some kind of discount prices?
Thanks in advance for any information

So a couple of questions on the Alpinestars system any idea of total weight, any ventilation so system can be used in hot weather and is their some way of locking airbag vest thing with cable to bike or will it fit in side case ( 94 R1100RS standard case )?
Don’t think I would get used to tether system I do not think I have remembered to unplug heated vest yet before dismounting.
Would it be safe to assume Alpinestars and Helite will be at moa rally and will probably have some kind of discount prices?
Thanks in advance for any information

The Alpinestars Tech-Air system is interchangeable. I wear the mesh Viper jacket in the summer and the adventure style Revenant jacket in the cooler months. Just unzip/unplug the vest from one jacket to the other. Make sure the jacket you choose is "Tech-Air" compatible.

Back