Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle airbag for total crash protection

Motorcycle airbag for total crash protection

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Looks like a lot more protection than my Helite Vest and possibly without the weight on the rider.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Rally Rat
    It better not go off accidentally.

Given the number of air bags in cars, I think this is coming.

Rod

Let's all hope that Takata doesn't have anything to do with this.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I wonder how long you keep bouncing
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Until you hit a nail...

Honda gold wings come standard with airbags that deploy from the bike like a car. I'd not be interested in that, but something I wear would be a consideration.

Japan and another countries leo's are mandated to wear airbag vests.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I wonder how long you keep bouncing
    According to Newton's Laws - "...until an opposing force acts against you..." - like an on-coming Kenworth.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    According to Newton's Laws - "...until an opposing force acts against you..." - like an on-coming Kenworth.
    Is this product approved by the NBA ??

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

I wear the Alpine Stars Tech-Air jacket. It's better than the Hellite vest because you're not tethered to the bike.
    Bruce A. Brown #212072
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    I wear the Alpine Stars Tech-Air jacket. It's better than the Hellite vest because you're not tethered to the bike.
    Oh yes, there has been one or two times I've had to pull over and attach the tether because I've forgotten to hook up.

Your system would certainly be advantageous for us old farts with the occasional memory lapse.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

I've got a Helite "Turtle" vest. If I flew over the hood of a car while wearing it, I'm sure it would cushion my landing and spread out forces. But I am skeptical that it would inflate fast enough to provide protection against actually colliding with the car. The video of this new product suggests it would inflate fast enough to provide direct protection in a collision with another vehicle. Call me skeptical on that...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

The Alpine Stars Tech-air inflates in a few milliseconds. Fast enough to fully deploy during a rear-ender before the car even comes close to your body.

Bruce A. Brown #212072
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    The Alpine Stars Tech-air inflates in a few milliseconds. Fast enough to fully deploy during a rear-ender before the car even comes close to your body.
    https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air

Their site claims 25 milliseconds for the Alpine Stars Tech-air. Still quicker than a Helite vest which claims under 100 milliseconds as I recall.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air

Their site claims 25 milliseconds for the Alpine Stars Tech-air. Still quicker than a Helite vest which claims under 100 milliseconds as I recall.
    The AlpineStars video did not impress me, as the vest does nothing to protect the cervical spine, kidneys, pelvic region, lower spine, etc.

The crash dummy is 'dead' from a broken neck.

I wear the Helite because it is mechanical - 100% reliable, as opposed to motion sensors, algorithms, batteries, etc. And with 60 lbs. of pull needed to activate, I simply get jerked back to the bike if I forget to disconnect, which by now, I never do ('motor-memory'). I'd have to hop off the bike and then fall down a ravine to blow the ballast (of course, if tumbling down a ravine, I might want it inflated!).

It inflates in less than 90 milliseconds - it takes 300-400 milliseconds to blink your eye. Ever since 1968, scientists defined 100 milliseconds as "instantaneous." That <65 millisecond difference (due to the Helite product inflating significantly more bladders of protection) is like debating that your sandbox has 3 less grains of sand than mine, and is therefore lighter, and easier to carry.

If that's not fast enough, I suggest simply riding around in multi-layers of bubble-wrap - zero inflation time for that.

As for marketing demos, Helite had independent journalists test their Turtle Vest. Besides an impressive inflation time, it took six repetitive slides down pavement, all at 60+ mph, before the vest fabric was damaged to the point of needing repair. And even then, you can send it into the factory, and they can repair it and return it to service.

Any inflation vest is better than none, so buy whatever you can afford, but I embrace the KISS principle as part of my potential life-saving matrix. It's ATGATT v2.0 for a dangerous world.
    Last edited by greenwald; 03-06-2019 at 12:14 AM.