• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2003 K1200GT - Any tips on the preload rear shock setting?

jrmull

I have 26k miles on this 2003 K1200GT and the rear shock preload dial to the middle marking. Looks like there are just 3 marking lines. Not sure how to evaluate the better setting. Any tips?

Rider weight is 260 pounds. No luggage or passengers. Original shocks.

Thee are several speed humps to ride faster over and see if it bottoms out. Doesn't sound very scientific though. I won't be doing any off roading. There are plenty of pot holes and sewer caps.

Is there a front shock setting also needed?

2003 k1200gt

I saw a couple video, explaining rider sag should be in the 30 to 40mm range. Using a tape measure to how much your rider weight compresses the rear shock.

Fixed point on the top of the bike to the center axle with tire off the ground fully extended shock. Then place the bike on the ground with rider and measure the fixed point to the center of the axle. The value should be in the 30 to 40 mm. Tighten the preload to reduce the sag if too high. Rinse and Repeat until the number is in range.

A = rear wheel off ground, wheel to fixed point on bike frame
B = rear wheel on ground, wheel to fixed point
C = rider on bike

a-c=rider sag 30 to 40 mm optimum
a-b=static sag 25 mm common

Rider sag should be 30-40mm
static sag is manufacture, can't change that very much with standard OEM shocks.

Same deal with the front shock if there is an adjustment on a K1200GT 2003. I suppose there is.

The directions JR posted are fine, but I suspect they were meant to be used on shocks that have a fully adjustable preload feature. As I recall the OE shocks, they have a simple three position rotating sleeve, rather than the threaded, infinitely adjustable preload found on aftermarket shocks.
If that is truly the case, those instructions will be difficult to follow as you have little flexibility to fine tune the preload.
I always went with a standard sag of one third of the total wheel travel, which may well be close to what JR's directions get you. Keep in mind that you'll need help in measuring the bike. The amount of initial sag has to be measured with the bike as you ride it. That means you on the bike, geared up. And you need to be fully on the bike; feet up. So someone will need to hold you and the bike upright, while getting measurements of the amount settling that has occurred. Sometimes three people are good.
Given the weight of these bikes, and yours, my guess is that the max compression of the three options will likely be the right one for you. I could be wrong, but I don't recall the front shock having any adjustment at all.
Please let us know how you make out.

Back