• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clatter sound, in front end of 2000 K1200 LT maybe it isn't the shock?

mslacool

To describe the sound in question, think heat shield loose or clunky tranny shift or tinny sound as opposed to solid structural bam that you can feel in the entire bike,

This sound is a long standing problem, which I thought was a shock bottoming out, but as I get ready to approach the solution, I have begun to doubt that is the source of the tinny clattery sound.

1. It happens without a deep shock related bounce as in when you hit tar snakes or cracks in the pavement at modest speed where there is no bottoming of the shock.

2. Generally it doesn't happen when I am going very slow and the shock is being depressed.

Its a rattle and it goes away unless you are hitting tarsnakes. Could it be the steering dampener? The brake calipher attachment like happens on the rear? It feels high up on the forks or shock..

I can't really duplicate it off the bike or see what it is on the bike.

Diagnosis tricks?

Paul

Try tapping on the wheel with a rubber mallet. This used to work for me in a body shop I worked at. Good luck.

On a bike that hasn't been maintained, it could be dozens of things: brake pads, rotor bobbins, head bearings, front suspension ball joints, wheel bearings, shock bushings, loose axle, body panels, grills, windscreen, exhaust. :dunno. Hard to tell.

:dance:dance:dance

I vote rotor bobbins. They're famous for making noise.
Grab the rotors (cold!) and wiggle them. Sound familiar?

Part but not all the problem was a loose fender mount

Checked and loose fender bolts stopped the low speed bump rattle, but not the higher speed. Can a blown fork make a similar sound. Otherwise I am thinking the stabilizer so I am going to try some urethane bushings as a cheap test on the mounting plate

p

Checked and loose fender bolts stopped the low speed bump rattle, but not the higher speed. Can a blown fork make a similar sound. Otherwise I am thinking the stabilizer so I am going to try some urethane bushings as a cheap test on the mounting plate

p

Assuming what you blew was the fork seal, I wouldn't count on it. The seal just holds the oil in and the dirt out; the actual guiding is done by bushings. But if your seal has been gone for a while, you may have lost the lube oil that is supposed to be in the fork, so do pursue that and fix it.

If I suspected the steering damper of being a problem source, I'd be tempted to take it off and take a GENTLE test ride to see if the noise went away.

Back