• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

C and C on the ANONYMOUS book

stevenrankin

I have been thinking about checking the yes to coffee and conversation box in the Anonymous book.

Any of you members who have this available have any positive or negative comments as to how well it works or doesn't?

Have you ever had any calls for C and C?

I am down for some stuff already. Sold my truck and don't have a trailer but willing to help. St.

I haven't had anyone call me yet, however I have called others on the list. I am contemplating a move another state and I called some guys in that city to get their advise on things in that area, not just motorcycle related. I found them to be very friendly, insightful and honest on what to expect. Just what I was hoping to find out. So if being friendly and talking with other people suits your personality, then absolutely sign up for it, it can only help.

Called a couple KKs years back, in the area, for a little tay-da-tay. One answered, surprised, couldn't wait to hang up. The other didn't call back. I must sound like a like a salesperson. Clubs, can't live with'em, can't live without'em. Actually, if someone was sitting around my workspace I'd get nothing done. That's what so great about the inner web.

Oh, every afternoon a rider on a yellow GS goes by after work, so I wave like crazy. FWIW.

Called a couple KKs years back, in the area, for a little tay-da-tay. .....

Took a moment or two to figure out you mean "tête à tête" ......I think. :)

Anyway, I've had my name in the AB for years and have yet to get a call. Of course, I do live in a metropolitan area with two local BMW dealers.

I've only been in the book for a year or two and have yet to get a call from it but I do gets calls from people on the ADVrider tent thread and other threads most often looking for a place to pitch a tent. All of them have been great guests.

On one of our first rides to Colorado, well before I became a member (I wasn't a member mainly because I was not aware of the MOA), a somewhat older guy named Olaf approached my wife and I in a grocery store parking lot and asked us if we'd like to come to his house for a little KK.

We had no idea what he was talking about, but after explaining he was inviting us to have coffee, and we thought it was a German thing or something.

We followed him as he drove his pickup truck to his house... he lived way back up a valley.... so far back and in the woods that we started to worry we were going to be robbed... but it turned out to be a really memorable experience and we stayed in touch for years.

Funny thing is, he never once mentioned the MOA, showed us the Anonymous book or anything like that. It was about 5 more years until one of my west coast employees bought me a magazine subscription for Christmas. :ha

Ian

We're pretty much off the beaten track, but occasionally host visitors on their way to or from the Canadian Maritimes. Except for one traveler who overstayed his welcome, helping himself to our food, my tools, and even taking one of my bikes out for a spin while I was at work to see if he liked the saddle(!), we have truly enjoyed those visits. That experience did, however, prompt me to put certain restrictions on guests.

As for KK I've never gotten a call from anyone asking for riding recommendations in this incredible part of the country. I will often reach out in advance of a trip seeking a local's perspective on the area, the best route to avoid passing through a major city, etc. (To the member who gave me that wonderfully scenic route to avoid the nightmare that is Indianapolis traffic - THANK YOU!)

I hope to have more visitors. Sharing experiences is always a blast!

Pete

Line

We're pretty much off the beaten track, but occasionally host visitors on their way to or from the Canadian Maritimes. Except for one traveler who overstayed his welcome, helping himself to our food, my tools, and even taking one of my bikes out for a spin while I was at work to see if he liked the saddle(!), we have truly enjoyed those visits. That experience did, however, prompt me to put certain restrictions on guests.

As for KK I've never gotten a call from anyone asking for riding recommendations in this incredible part of the country. I will often reach out in advance of a trip seeking a local's perspective on the area, the best route to avoid passing through a major city, etc. (To the member who gave me that wonderfully scenic route to avoid the nightmare that is Indianapolis traffic - THANK YOU!)

I hope to have more visitors. Sharing experiences is always a blast!

Pete
So stopping by for C and C some road advice, give the dogs some attention and approved treats and painting the airhead a nice shade of yellow is a bit over the line :)

E6D1DEF8-F789-47AF-9754-D79968E2F05E.jpeg

I could bring my own spray can

Friends are a tricky business. As I got older every hour, minute seems very dear to me. When I was young time just dawdled along. Now the days, hours fly. I gotta schedule working on the bikes. Plan stuff. When I get phone calls, sometimes, I gotta say, "Gotta go, see ya later!" Just so I can get back to what I wanted to do before I ran outta time. Older age is getting antsy. Not desperate, just antsy. There's stuff that's gotta be finished. Have almost stopped drinking. No time for it and it began bothering me, makes me dizzy. Even sitting around a fire, unless the heat goes off, makes me antsy. Cool, a fire. Now back to figgering a way around that $114 piece of harness to connect the temp gauge.

All of which is to say, clubs on the inner web are worth every penny spent. You can jump in or out at yer convenience. You can find stuff you desperately need, sometimes incredibly cheap. And tap incredible minds for tips which may be inaccessible even after hours of KK. FWIW, two stents.

To me, this is one of the most unsung marvelous benefits of the MOA. We should be making a video of how cool this is and then running an advertisement on Facebook to let people know about this great reason to join.

Oh wait.... one of our director's already made a video. What.... only 212 views? Why are we not promoting the hell out of this? (it could be shorter, like about a minute long, but it's an honest volunteer effort :thumb )

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SS7I-SEB9TI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And while you're not supposed to use it to couch surf across the county, a la Jeff Brody, the offer is almost always made.

Friends are a tricky business. ... snip.... clubs on the inner web are worth every penny spent. You can jump in or out at yer convenience. You can find stuff you desperately need, sometimes incredibly cheap. And tap incredible minds for tips which may be inaccessible even after hours of KK. FWIW, two stents.

Your comment is not the first one I have heard like this... it's a fascinating insight. A lot of people aligned with the BMW brand seem to like their space.

Ian

When we lived in Fairbanks we got calls fairly often in the summer. Unsurprising I suppose. Since I had access to a couple thousand beds at the time, I was in a good position to help. We moved to Tropical Montana 8 years ago and we have had only a few calls. Last summer a fellow needed a tire on a Sunday morning. He was from Ohio and on a Yamaha dirt bike. Was able to get him a new tire for $20 and mounted it for him for free; he was on the road in two hours. The tire was around 7 years old and had been sitting on a friend's rack for all those years. The other calls were for information.

I get far more calls and visits from the Yamaha FJR community. There is no club but the forums, particularly FJRider, are very collegial and friendly. They also organize gatherings all around the country that are somewhat like our Getaways. Last summer we had a total of 16 FJR riders come to our place and stay at the bunkhouse and/or get some sort of assistance. We have 5 we know are coming this summer. We could learn a great deal from the FJR group about how to get along and help one another. Admittedly, it is a smaller audience, but one that is friendly and supportive. Although they do have a tradition of "Dog Pile Friday" where some poor new guy that asks a question gets teased to the Nth degree. I cannot recall a time when a moderator had to intercede on that forum.

I've been a member since 1976.
I'm still waiting for my first call. In addition to KK, I have tools, mechanical ability, etc.
I feel like the Maytag Man.

Woodgrain

I've been a member since 1976.
I'm still waiting for my first call. In addition to KK, I have tools, mechanical ability, etc.
I feel like the Maytag Man.

Woodgrain

Same here, since 1985. I attribute it to living in ND. :wave

I just checked to make sure I'm in the book...yup. Been listed for a few years, no calls. We're in a motorcycle destination too. On the other hand, I've been ignoring calls from numbers I don't recognize and calling back IF they leave a message- sick of telemarket and scam...as I write I just ignored a call from Sierra Leone (NOT KIDDING!!!) So if you call me...leave a message...I'll immediately call back. I guess the other side of the equation is the fact that I haven't used this facet of MOA... maybe this trip, I carry the book.

Back