Thread: K1600GT Pillion Comfort

Smile K1600GT Pillion Comfort

How comfortable is the space for a pillion passenger on the K1600GT? Is it cramped or roomy? I'm thinking of one with a top case and a driver's backrest. So, for a passenger wedged inbetween a topcase back and the riders seat back Is it different from the space on the GTL? Here's a walk around of the one I'm buying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmzT8myn3Qk
    Thank you for your thoughts on pillion comfort because I'm giving up a Road Glide Ultra that is extremely comfortable for my backwarmer and she isn't going to like it if it's a sacrifice.

Pillion

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    How comfortable is the space for a pillion passenger on the K1600GT? Is it cramped or roomy? I'm thinking of one with a top case and a driver's backrest. So, for a passenger wedged inbetween a topcase back and the riders seat back Is it different from the space on the GTL? Here's a walk around of the one I'm buying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmzT8myn3Qk
    Thank you for your thoughts on pillion comfort because I'm giving up a Road Glide Ultra that is extremely comfortable for my backwarmer and she isn't going to like it if it's a sacrifice.
    My passenger hates the GTL passenger accommodation. She complains: "I'm too high up and I'm too far away from you with nothing to hold onto (even though I installed armrests for her), I can't see over your head (even though on the R bike she was even lower and closer to my head), the seat is too big and I slide forward when you stop". So it seems not enough room isn't the problem. I don't know how much the aftermarket seat on the GT you're looking at will change the ergos.

That seat is actually a re-covered BMW seat, so it is the same proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    My passenger hates the GTL passenger accommodation. She complains: "I'm too high up and I'm too far away from you with nothing to hold onto (even though I installed armrests for her), I can't see over your head (even though on the R bike she was even lower and closer to my head), the seat is too big and I slide forward when you stop". So it seems not enough room isn't the problem. I don't know how much the aftermarket seat on the GT you're looking at will change the ergos.
    My wife is just the opposite. We took a used 2013 GTL for a test ride ~300 miles round trip a few years ago. She said she was so comfortable she could almost go to sleep back there. She's 5'07".

2013 1600GTL Pillion

I bought a 2013 BMW K1600GTL last summer. This is my 21st BMW and instantly I got in line for a Russell Day Long. My wife loved the seat, hated the backward lean against the stock top case. $450.00 later I put a GT rack on it. It moves the top case forward about 1 1/8 inches. It did the trick. She no longer slides forward. Ah the things we do keep them riding and happy.
    TZ

The biggest problem I see with the K1600 passenger seat is it slopes forward. I have ridden bitch on my buddy's K1600 and in start and stop traffic the passenger has to pay attention or slide into the rider. That said my buddy took his seat to a local upholstery shop and they removed a iny bit of foam in the middle of the seat and added som firm foam across the front so the passenger has something for thier butt to run against when they slide foward. I haven't ridden it since but his wife is happy with it.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    "...I have ridden bitch".
    Nice.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You cannot withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'