• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GTL windshield upgrade

GTLbiker

Hello, looking for some input about which windshield to purchase fro a 2018 K1600 GTL. I’m 6’1”, 190#, with a 33” inseam. Buying a windshield is a shot in the dark it seems. I have been researching a bunch but haven’t been able to get information that makes me confident to commit to make a purchase. I have found several windshields all are interesting, but I think I have it narrowed down to 2 companies, 7 Jurock style “B” and AeroFlow GT for GTL. I’m interested in Aerowings either way, but I’m uncertain which windshield will function and look best. Input is welcomed.

Welcome to the forum!
I can’t help you with your selection but, after a few days, I’ll move this to the 1600 part of our forum for you.
Good luck.
Gary

Welcome from Minnesota!
What do you want to accomplish? Buffeting? Back-pressure? More protection? Less protection?
Answering those might give others some input to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Personally, I use a Cee Baily's on my GT...but they are out of the windshield business.

Second choice would be the AeroFlow. I had one of those on my RT Rally bike.

Good luck.

Joe

I want to accomplish a reduction in buffeting, back-pressure, more protection. Both the windshields will help with these issues, I’m sure. I looking for input regarding heights, quaility, colors, and trim (looks). Pictures would be great as they are limited.

windshield

I want to accomplish a reduction in buffeting, back-pressure, more protection. Both the windshields will help with these issues, I’m sure. I looking for input regarding heights, quaility, colors, and trim (looks). Pictures would be great as they are limited.
I went with the tall clear Ztecnic from National Cylce for two reasons: 1) It's polycarbonate and not acrylic and supposedly a whole lot tougher and 2) in a MOA test a year or so ago, they tried 3 different brands and liked it for cost, functionality etc. I am short and have to look through it on the lowest setting but it seems to me that you would tall enough to have it at just the right height to see over. Anyway, buffeting, wind and noise are greatly reduced.

I tried a few different shields and went with the 7Jurock. I like to look over my shield, not through it, and with the 7Jurock (I understand one of the Aeroflow models), there's a slight up turn at the top of the shield, which channels the air over your head. The 7Jurock also comes in 1" increments. Not terribly important with our adjustable shields, but I found that if I got one as tall as possible while still being able to look over it, then I didn't have to raise it and it didn't cause nay back pressure issues.

Hello group

I was mildly pleased with the windshield of my 18GTL, until I got my seat redone by Russell day long which is now perfect and taller - like it should be. Being 6’4”, I’m now I’m up in the wind at speed and my passenger is up there too and getting buffeting.

I’m looking at the Wunderlich at $460 and the National Cycle at $280.

Any thoughts on either - especially at a $200 delta?

Hello group

I was mildly pleased with the windshield of my 18GTL, until I got my seat redone by Russell day long which is now perfect and taller - like it should be. Being 6’4”, I’m now I’m up in the wind at speed and my passenger is up there too and getting buffeting.

I’m looking at the Wunderlich at $460 and the National Cycle at $280.

Any thoughts on either - especially at a $200 delta?

I'm also 6'4" and upgraded to the RDL seat. Love the extra height and went with the ZTechnik tall windshield (made by National Cycle?).
Works just right for me. I look over it and have decent airflow when fully down. Raise it a couple inches for freeway work and buffeting is minimal for me and passenger while I'm still looking over the top.
All the way up for rain and looking through it also works great. I also liked that its polycarbonate and actually looks decent on the bike. I tried one of the Aeroflow screens and it is just a big heavy slab of acrylic and although it worked reasonably well, it is decidedly not stylish (my opinion).

7urock on Grand America - Fantastic bike!

I tried a few different shields and went with the 7Jurock. I like to look over my shield, not through it, and with the 7Jurock (I understand one of the Aeroflow models), there's a slight up turn at the top of the shield, which channels the air over your head. The 7Jurock also comes in 1" increments. Not terribly important with our adjustable shields, but I found that if I got one as tall as possible while still being able to look over it, then I didn't have to raise it and it didn't cause nay back pressure issues.

I also run a 7Jurock (with the flip) on my Grand America after trying a National Cycle (totally sucked) shield. 7Jurock sized so I can easily look over it for around town/really hot days but can be raised for high speed use. I prefer to look through a screen for normal road use. My only issue with the screen is the "flip" area which can present some distortion at the sides. You sort of have to either look over it or raise it past the flip area for the best view.

After 143,000 miles on 3 LT's, SO wasn't real pleased with the air flow on the 2018 GTL due to being so high up - lot's of severe buffeting. Bit the bullet and traded the GTL with 9,000 miles for a 2019 Grand America. Lower passenger seating and lower passenger peg makes getting on the bike a LOT easier. With the 7Jurock screen and AeroFlo wings she is very happy; says the airflow is almost as good as the LT with much better suspension and overall comfort (have BMW armrests and passenger floor boards). I love this Grand America - the LT's were great for highway cruising but a bear around town, especially 2 up when you're 5'7". I lowered the suspension 1/2" and am now flat footed, power is wonderful (no longer worry about the clutch on up hill starts), suspension is much better than LT and much easier to handle around town and at low speed. No longer fear parking lots! I love this bike and no longer miss the LT.

FYI - the side bags are easily removable for maintenance. Takes all of 5 minutes to remove them (2 bolts and the electrical connector (also seat release cable on left side bag). While you can't carry them like luggage, I never did that with the LT's or the GTL anyway so no issue for me. I use Kathy's Bags liners and carry them in as luggage.

Can't speak to the national brand but I have the wuderlich vented and find it to be excellent in stopping buffeting and very quiet, also have aeroflow side spoilers. Tinted. my 2 cents...

Back