• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘83 r80rt

Carburator sync

Any motorcycle with multiple carburetors need to have them synchronized to work together when the throttle is twisted.

Some carbs are easy to work on, some hard.

With BMW, the tune up Mantra is the only way to assure a proper running bike.

First, assure heads are properly torqued and valves are properly adjusted.
Second, Make sure points (if you have them) are properly adjusted.
Third ignition timing must be adjusted properly and the advance system must be working. (Pointless electronic ignition is easy on 81 and up BMW airheads.)
Fourth, Cables must be adjusted properly to allow idle.
Fifth, adjust carburetors.
Others may have different orders of the above or slightly different takes. Compression, Ignition and fuel are the order to follow.

A LOT of people try to do this out of sequence and only add to their troubles. Bing Carburetors when in good shape and adjusted properly will stay in adjustment for a long time.

On bikes with electronic ignition, timing also will stay in proper adjustment for a long time.

Valves do go out of adjustment and I have seen owners of BMW bikes go crazy trying to adjust carbs when in fact the valves are out of adjustment.

Now yes, things can happen to Bing carbs. I just had a diaphragm develop a hole. It screwed things up. Once this was repaired, the bike went back to normal without having to mess with carb adjustments.

Buying a used bike is an adventure, you never know what the Previous Owner has done to it. There may be happy times, there my be woe.

Get a good repair guide, cultivate friendships with fellow airhead owners. Two things which help keep the older bikes running.

Also, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

In order to " cultivate friendships with fellow airhead owners", consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club. airheads.org The best $30 you could ever spend on keeping your bike in good, reliable, running condition.

I’m not the OP, so not sure if the suggestions are for me, but I appreciate them all the same.

Today I am going to look at a local R80. Details are minimal, but I believe it is a mid-late-80s monoshock version with about 60K miles. I am more interested in something with low miles, but figured I’d take a quick look since it’s local.

Today I am going to look at a local R80. Details are minimal, but I believe it is a mid-late-80s monoshock version with about 60K miles. I am more interested in something with low miles, but figured I’d take a quick look since it’s local.

60K miles is reasonably low mileage for a Nikasil-bore, 35yr.-old airhead. Bikes that are parked for years with lower mileages can have issues stemming from extended dis-use.

60K miles is reasonably low mileage for a Nikasil-bore, 35yr.-old airhead. Bikes that are parked for years with lower mileages can have issues stemming from extended dis-use.

Copy. Thanks.

Would a 1986 R80 have the circlip problem with the transmission? At roughly how many miles does that issue typically crop up? Thanks.

Copy. Thanks.

Would a 1986 R80 have the circlip problem with the transmission? At roughly how many miles does that issue typically crop up? Thanks.
I think it would fall into the group of transmissions without the circlip. Check this video if you care, to see the problem and fix. Ted Porter is one of the top airhead guys still willing to work on these bikes.
https://youtu.be/9SNFUXsMIQk

I think it would fall into the group of transmissions without the circlip. Check this video if you care, to see the problem and fix. Ted Porter is one of the top airhead guys still willing to work on these bikes.
https://youtu.be/9SNFUXsMIQk

Thanks for that helpful link. Great explanation.

I saw that '86 R80 today. I asked if the circlip had been addressed - - the owner had never heard of the circlip issue (he is the original owner.)

The odometer reading is an estimate. It works now but there was a period of time when it was broken.

This was my first up close with an air head. Overall, I have to say I was - - not impressed. There were some very odd ergonomics. Not sure if this was peculiar to this R80, or all R80s, or just airheads in general?

Yes, very likely the '86 model does not have the circlip. More on circlip:

http://largiader.com/articles/circlip/

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/transmission.htm

The circlip-less transmission is not a "bomb" waiting to happen. There is advanced warning which then can be addressed.

As for ergonomics, hard to say what you saw and how the bike was set up. Could have low bars or maybe the bike was an RT in its early days and the high bars remain. Maybe the seat was changed. Without seeing the bike, it's hard to say. My guess the ergonomics are typical of Airheads, and might be different than you're used to.

Yes, very likely the '86 model does not have the circlip. More on circlip:

http://largiader.com/articles/circlip/

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/transmission.htm

The circlip-less transmission is not a "bomb" waiting to happen. There is advanced warning which then can be addressed.

As for ergonomics, hard to say what you saw and how the bike was set up. Could have low bars or maybe the bike was an RT in its early days and the high bars remain. Maybe the seat was changed. Without seeing the bike, it's hard to say. My guess the ergonomics are typical of Airheads, and might be different than you're used to.

Thanks for the additional circlip info. Even if not a bomb waiting to go off, there is certainly an expense and inconvenience to deal with it, no? And at 60k+ (unknown) miles, would it be prudent to address sooner than later?

As far as the ergonomics, this was a bone-stock R80 being sold by original owner. Pretty much a naked bike - - not even a windscreen. (It did have side cases.)

It turned out that the height of the bike/seat was actually okay for me, which was surprising and encouraging. Mounting and dismounting the bike, however, was incredibly awkward. The dismount was especially precarious and bordering on unsafe, in my opinion. The owner had a strange routine to make it work for him.

I was taught to always securely set a bike on sidestand before dismounting. On my current bike (and every other bike I’ve tested) this is a very simple matter - - push stand down with left foot, lean bike, turn bars left, dismount from very stable bike.

This guy was dismounting without setting bike on sidestand (or centerstand for that matter.) He demo-ed this procedure to me before allowing me to climb aboard to test seat height. It looked very precarious and I asked him why he didn’t just put it on sidestand. He replied that he never uses the sidestand.

I soon learned why. It was not possible to put the sidestand down while seated on the bike. The pegs and cylinder heads are in the way, and the stand is spring loaded such that it has to be all the way down with the bike leaning on it to stay in place. Try as I might, I could not deploy it from a seated position. I had to dismount using the owner’s precarious approach, and very nearly dumped the bike in the process.

If this is how R80s are configured, man that is one seriously dumb-ass design flaw. Please tell me this is not a common trait of airheads?

I would address the circlip issue when needed. At some point every transmisson will need service. Or maybe wait until the clutch needs changing...you will have the trnasmission out.

As for the sidestand, I'm probably 50-50 using thpe sidestand when dismounting. I'm tall enough to just pivot on my left foot and swing my right leg over...even with the hard bags.

The sidestand is a complaint area. Again maybe my long legs help. I use my heel to push the stand down so the pad contacts the ground. Lean the bike into the stand while keeping the heel on the stand and roll the bike back until it reaches the stop. Been working for me for years.

There lis likely a way to defeat the spring back...it deals with repositioning the spring stay. There arenalso aftermarket stands such as the Brown.

That sidestand design is so piss poor, it makes me wonder about the rest of the bike.

I tend to have fairly rigid standards/requirements. I cross candidates off the list rather than “get used to” design flaws. There are so many bikes out there that have a proper and safe sidestand arrangement, why live with one that isn’t? It’s a pretty baseline requirement. Hopefully some of the other airheads got it right.

(There are plenty enough hazards out there on the road - - I don’t expect to encounter them when dismounting in my driveway!)

Another thing that surprised me about this R80 was - - how LOUD it was. Our neighbors on both sides have Harleys. Which is fine, to each their own. But there’s no denying they make a huge racket as they come and go. I prefer to come and go quietly without making a big announcement. The R80 was MUCH louder than I expected.

That sidestand design is so piss poor, it makes me wonder about the rest of the bike.

I tend to have fairly rigid standards/requirements. I cross candidates off the list rather than “get used to” design flaws. There are so many bikes out there that have a proper and safe sidestand arrangement, why live with one that isn’t? It’s a pretty baseline requirement. Hopefully some of the other airheads got it right.

(There are plenty enough hazards out there on the road - - I don’t expect to encounter them when dismounting in my driveway!)

Another thing that surprised me about this R80 was - - how LOUD it was. Our neighbors on both sides have Harleys. Which is fine, to each their own. But there’s no denying they make a huge racket as they come and go. I prefer to come and go quietly without making a big announcement. The R80 was MUCH louder than I expected.

I've been riding airheads since my mid twenties, some time ago now. I also have Japanese bikes and more modern bmw's. They all have their pluses and minuses, i still haven't found the perfect motorcycle. My ST1100 has a wonderful motor and gearbox, and incidentally a good side stand as well, but it is so heavy. I don't like that until I'm on the road, and then it's a moot point. Airheads are not loud, the one you looked at must have had a aftermarket exhaust. I don't deploy the side stand on motorcycles to mount or dismount so the self retracting SS never has been an issue for me. Airheads aren't for everybody, but for me, they do most things well and i like them best, and I've owned over 40 motorcycles to compare them to. cheers.

... I don't deploy the side stand on motorcycles to mount or dismount so the self retracting SS never has been an issue for me. Airheads aren't for everybody, but for me, they do most things well and i like them best, and I've owned over 40 motorcycles to compare them to. cheers.

What method did your training course teach you to properly mount and dismount a motorcycle?

Owned 40 motorcycles - - seriously? Good lord. I’ve known serial purchasers of automobiles, and found it sad to watch them churn through vehicles, unable to stick with anything they bought. Never happy, always second guessing and wishing for something else from the latest greatest offerings. (Not saying this is you - - I don’t know anything about you - - maybe buying and selling motorcycles is your livelihood?)

I’m pretty much the exact opposite. I do my research, then buy and hold. It’s unlikely I will own more than 3 or 4 motorcycles in my lifetime. I don’t want to be stuck with poor design features for the long periods of time I anticipate owning any vehicle.

I guess I view a motorcycle not much different than I do a car. It’s an appliance. I want a well-thought-out design that offers good value and reliable service. I don’t want to be constantly repairing it or shopping for a replacement. But I recognize it’s a major hobby or lifestyle for some people. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, just not my approach.

Motorcycles do not have a parking brake. When coming to your destination you can shut off the motor, engage first gear, deploy the side stand and dismount from a stable stationary motorcycle. Same with remounting if the bike is already engaged in first gear. Start motor, take weight off sidestand, it will self retract, you can depart and safely lean into that first left hand bend you encounter.

Seems like a reasonable and efficient system to me.

Friedle

Motorcycles do not have a parking brake. When coming to your destination you can shut off the motor, engage first gear, deploy the side stand and dismount from a stable stationary motorcycle. Same with remounting if the bike is already engaged in first gear. Start motor, take weight off sidestand, it will self retract, you can depart and safely lean into that first left hand bend you encounter.

Seems like a reasonable and efficient system to me.

Friedle

Certainly does. Except on the R80 I inspected it wasn’t possible to deploy the sidestand while seated. Which is why the owner never used it. Instead he dismounted awkwardly without the bike resting on any stand. That’s the complaint I am making here.

Circling back to Chunk’s comment about noise... This R80 was definitely on the loud end of the spectrum. Not Harley loud, but much louder than I expected. Would it be normal to replace the stock mufflers over 60K+ miles/33 years, from wear/tear/age? The owner was quite insistent that everything was stock on the bike. But maybe the exhaust got swapped or “upgraded” at some point as normal wear and tear item?

As others have said, no motorcycle is without its warts. I guess you choose what you want or don't want. It's certainly personal.

We can't tell much about the bike you're looking at. If you had some pictures, we might be able to answer the issue with regard to the mufflers. It really sounds like they are aftermarket or worn out. Note that an Airhead is not like a Gold Wing or even like a K75 or K100 or the later twins, etc.

As others have said, no motorcycle is without its warts. I guess you choose what you want or don't want. It's certainly personal.

We can't tell much about the bike you're looking at. If you had some pictures, we might be able to answer the issue with regard to the mufflers. It really sounds like they are aftermarket or worn out. Note that an Airhead is not like a Gold Wing or even like a K75 or K100 or the later twins, etc.

Definitely true about no perfect bike. I just want to find one that will work well for me for the foreseeable future.

I appreciate the suggestion to put up some photos of this particular R80, but the craigslist ad expired. I did snap a few on my phone when I viewed it to help me remember details, but I don’t like to post images of other’s property on the internet when they are in the process of selling, without permission. I realize it’s a pretty common practice, but I’m just not comfortable with it.

Only 40?

What method did your training course teach you to properly mount and dismount a motorcycle?

Owned 40 motorcycles - - seriously? Good lord. I’ve known serial purchasers of automobiles, and found it sad to watch them churn through vehicles, unable to stick with anything they bought. Never happy, always second guessing and wishing for something else from the latest greatest offerings. (Not saying this is you - - I don’t know anything about you - - maybe buying and selling motorcycles is your livelihood?)

I’m pretty much the exact opposite. I do my research, then buy and hold. It’s unlikely I will own more than 3 or 4 motorcycles in my lifetime. I don’t want to be stuck with poor design features for the long periods of time I anticipate owning any vehicle.

I guess I view a motorcycle not much different than I do a car. It’s an appliance. I want a well-thought-out design that offers good value and reliable service. I don’t want to be constantly repairing it or shopping for a replacement. But I recognize it’s a major hobby or lifestyle for some people. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, just not my approach.

Ha! Vark, you're surprised that Chunk has owned 40 bikes? Some people own 10 bikes at a time. You change your clothes for different occasions. You change bikes as well. Perhaps as you get older you need a different bike. Adventure riding, touring, two-up riding, hot rodding and just putting around on your R50/5. You need different bikes for each time of year! Anyhow, some of us get bored easy! Same old bike? When you buy another bike you have a whole new set of problems to work through. Good luck with BMWs!
Airhead 6486

You're obviously free to set and maintain whatever standards you like, and airheads may be an acquired taste. It shouldn't be loud. Sometimes original owners lose their abilities to discern normal from decidedly abnormal about their bikes. It's also not uncommon for original owners to, uh, "customize" their bikes with aftermarket equipment that meets their needs and preferences---I call this "J.C. Whitney-ization"). Peeling this stuff off can make a big difference/improvement. If the R80's sidestand is a deal-breaker in its original configuration, there are aftermarket "solutions" (Brown, etc.)---they're utilitarian, but too ugly, by my own standards, so I've actually re-installed the spring-loaded OEM sidestand on my monoshock R100 that came from its original owner with a Brown. I think you'll find that most airheads have the same, problematic sidestand, or worse---earlier ones, like those on my /6 bikes, have side stands that tend to slice into hot summer asphalt, tilting the bike waay over. Speaking as a non-engineer German, German engineers don't always get everything right. Nonetheless, in the last three weeks, I've put about 2K miles on my '84 R100RT in two separate long jaunts (450 miles yesterday) without a hiccup---the thing continues to amaze me how well it works for its design purpose 36 years later. An old Gold Wing, GS850G, XS750, etc. may be as good, but I'll always like the aesthetics of an airhead engine hanging out both sides of the bike as it motors down the road. Good luck in your search.

Konrad

Back