Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: ‘83 r80rt

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Time for a story. 34 or so years ago I had a friend in a local club. To dismount, he always pulled to a stop, swung his leg over the seat, stood beside his R80RT, and put the sidestand down. He was fairly short and putting the sidestand fully forward was a reach with his leg length. He also often made snide remarks about my aftermarket Brown sidestand which he called a "big Schwinn."

So one weekend he and Voni and I headed off to a rally. And Voni's sister was going to come along with us as our friend's passenger. So, he bungee-netted a spare helmet for Elaine to the seat of his bike. Our first stop, before we picked up Elaine was for fuel. Attempting his typical dismount prior to putting the sidestand down he tangled his foot in that bungee net holding the helmet to his pillion seat. So the RT was saved from any damage by his body under it as it lay on its left side.

Fast forward to our arrival at the rally site. Once inside the gate he spied a couple of flea market style vendors with stuff spread out on a couple of tarps under some shade trees. Thus instead of heading to registration he rode straightaway to the vendor tarps. He found, purchased, and installed one each used Brown sidestand to his motorcycle before proceeding to registration and setting up his tent. Thus end my tale of sidestand woes. Except I got to congratulate him on his "big Schwinn."
    Outstanding! Great story.

That would be me going down with the bike, too, if I can’t deploy the sidestand prior to dismounting.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post

But understand that when someone tells me they own or have owned that many bikes, I don’t view that as a sign of valuable experience that I want to tap into. Exact opposite. Alarms go off. I view that as advice coming from someone who is indecisive, compulsive, doesn’t know what they really want/need, doesn’t do their homework, is never happy with what they bought/have, etc etc. That’s not the sort of resource I want to tap into.
    You are entitled to jump to whatever conclusions suits your fancy, but you probably have a good bit of this one wrong. I have not had 40 bikes but I have had 19 or 20 including 16 BMWs. This is 49 years of riding, not counting the Moped I started on 60 years ago. Most of those bikes saw considerable miles including a K75 I rode 370,000 miles and an R1150R I rode 180,000 miles. Several others each saw between 50,000 and 100,000 miles. Of them all there was only one which I bought, decided I didn't like, and sold within a year. Just doing basic math, the average miles I put on those 16 BMWs was a bit over 59,000 miles each.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Odd that a premium brand like BMW didn’t just use a defeat switch that kills the engine if the sidestand is down when placed in gear. But the spring is an acceptable alternative.

The real issue I’m getting at here is the location of the sidestand and the difficulty of deploying it while seated on the bike.
    BMW did use "devices" later. There are extenders or foot expanders that can help with deployment. I've seen some pretty clever weld-on extensions that basically solve the problem. If you're inseam-challenged then likey an aftermarket stand is the way to go. But I would think anyone above say 5'-6" or so should be able put the stand down safely.

There is so much to like about an Airhead...but we can also find things we hate!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

It is my carefully considered opinion that with rare exceptions BMW has used 1st year Public Relations interns to design side stands. The K75 and K100 stands were OK. The F800 stand has a bottom plate smaller than a nickel, almost the size of a dime: OK on concrete, a problem on asphalt, and a disaster on turf. Our new G310GS bikes came with sidestands which were both too tall, and prone to breaking off the frame. This was solved with a recall, but the new design are still too tall. Oilhead sidestands also suffer from bottom pads sufficiently miniscule so as to have launched the lucrative aftermarket for add-on sidestand bottom plates.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It is my carefully considered opinion that with rare exceptions BMW has used 1st year Public Relations interns to design side stands.
    Opinion notwithstanding, that's the first time I've heard that bit of "lore"!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Opinion notwithstanding, that's the first time I've heard that bit of "lore"!
    Dang! Someone could'a/should'a pinged Hans Muth to explain the crappy side stands while we had him at the R80G/S-R65LS event a couple of weeks ago . . .