Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ‘83 r80rt

That sidestand design is so piss poor, it makes me wonder about the rest of the bike.

I tend to have fairly rigid standards/requirements. I cross candidates off the list rather than “get used to” design flaws. There are so many bikes out there that have a proper and safe sidestand arrangement, why live with one that isn’t? It’s a pretty baseline requirement. Hopefully some of the other airheads got it right.

(There are plenty enough hazards out there on the road - - I don’t expect to encounter them when dismounting in my driveway!)

Another thing that surprised me about this R80 was - - how LOUD it was. Our neighbors on both sides have Harleys. Which is fine, to each their own. But there’s no denying they make a huge racket as they come and go. I prefer to come and go quietly without making a big announcement. The R80 was MUCH louder than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    That sidestand design is so piss poor, it makes me wonder about the rest of the bike.

I tend to have fairly rigid standards/requirements. I cross candidates off the list rather than “get used to” design flaws. There are so many bikes out there that have a proper and safe sidestand arrangement, why live with one that isn’t? It’s a pretty baseline requirement. Hopefully some of the other airheads got it right.

(There are plenty enough hazards out there on the road - - I don’t expect to encounter them when dismounting in my driveway!)

Another thing that surprised me about this R80 was - - how LOUD it was. Our neighbors on both sides have Harleys. Which is fine, to each their own. But there’s no denying they make a huge racket as they come and go. I prefer to come and go quietly without making a big announcement. The R80 was MUCH louder than I expected.
    I've been riding airheads since my mid twenties, some time ago now. I also have Japanese bikes and more modern bmw's. They all have their pluses and minuses, i still haven't found the perfect motorcycle. My ST1100 has a wonderful motor and gearbox, and incidentally a good side stand as well, but it is so heavy. I don't like that until I'm on the road, and then it's a moot point. Airheads are not loud, the one you looked at must have had a aftermarket exhaust. I don't deploy the side stand on motorcycles to mount or dismount so the self retracting SS never has been an issue for me. Airheads aren't for everybody, but for me, they do most things well and i like them best, and I've owned over 40 motorcycles to compare them to. cheers.

^^
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    ... I don't deploy the side stand on motorcycles to mount or dismount so the self retracting SS never has been an issue for me. Airheads aren't for everybody, but for me, they do most things well and i like them best, and I've owned over 40 motorcycles to compare them to. cheers.
    What method did your training course teach you to properly mount and dismount a motorcycle?

Owned 40 motorcycles - - seriously? Good lord. I’ve known serial purchasers of automobiles, and found it sad to watch them churn through vehicles, unable to stick with anything they bought. Never happy, always second guessing and wishing for something else from the latest greatest offerings. (Not saying this is you - - I don’t know anything about you - - maybe buying and selling motorcycles is your livelihood?)

I’m pretty much the exact opposite. I do my research, then buy and hold. It’s unlikely I will own more than 3 or 4 motorcycles in my lifetime. I don’t want to be stuck with poor design features for the long periods of time I anticipate owning any vehicle.

I guess I view a motorcycle not much different than I do a car. It’s an appliance. I want a well-thought-out design that offers good value and reliable service. I don’t want to be constantly repairing it or shopping for a replacement. But I recognize it’s a major hobby or lifestyle for some people. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, just not my approach.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Motorcycles do not have a parking brake. When coming to your destination you can shut off the motor, engage first gear, deploy the side stand and dismount from a stable stationary motorcycle. Same with remounting if the bike is already engaged in first gear. Start motor, take weight off sidestand, it will self retract, you can depart and safely lean into that first left hand bend you encounter.

Seems like a reasonable and efficient system to me.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Motorcycles do not have a parking brake. When coming to your destination you can shut off the motor, engage first gear, deploy the side stand and dismount from a stable stationary motorcycle. Same with remounting if the bike is already engaged in first gear. Start motor, take weight off sidestand, it will self retract, you can depart and safely lean into that first left hand bend you encounter.

Seems like a reasonable and efficient system to me.

Friedle
    Certainly does. Except on the R80 I inspected it wasn’t possible to deploy the sidestand while seated. Which is why the owner never used it. Instead he dismounted awkwardly without the bike resting on any stand. That’s the complaint I am making here.

Circling back to Chunk’s comment about noise... This R80 was definitely on the loud end of the spectrum. Not Harley loud, but much louder than I expected. Would it be normal to replace the stock mufflers over 60K+ miles/33 years, from wear/tear/age? The owner was quite insistent that everything was stock on the bike. But maybe the exhaust got swapped or “upgraded” at some point as normal wear and tear item?

As others have said, no motorcycle is without its warts. I guess you choose what you want or don't want. It's certainly personal.

We can't tell much about the bike you're looking at. If you had some pictures, we might be able to answer the issue with regard to the mufflers. It really sounds like they are aftermarket or worn out. Note that an Airhead is not like a Gold Wing or even like a K75 or K100 or the later twins, etc.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    As others have said, no motorcycle is without its warts. I guess you choose what you want or don't want. It's certainly personal.

We can't tell much about the bike you're looking at. If you had some pictures, we might be able to answer the issue with regard to the mufflers. It really sounds like they are aftermarket or worn out. Note that an Airhead is not like a Gold Wing or even like a K75 or K100 or the later twins, etc.
    Definitely true about no perfect bike. I just want to find one that will work well for me for the foreseeable future.

I appreciate the suggestion to put up some photos of this particular R80, but the craigslist ad expired. I did snap a few on my phone when I viewed it to help me remember details, but I don’t like to post images of other’s property on the internet when they are in the process of selling, without permission. I realize it’s a pretty common practice, but I’m just not comfortable with it.

Smile Only 40?

What method did your training course teach you to properly mount and dismount a motorcycle?

Owned 40 motorcycles - - seriously? Good lord. I’ve known serial purchasers of automobiles, and found it sad to watch them churn through vehicles, unable to stick with anything they bought. Never happy, always second guessing and wishing for something else from the latest greatest offerings. (Not saying this is you - - I don’t know anything about you - - maybe buying and selling motorcycles is your livelihood?)

I’m pretty much the exact opposite. I do my research, then buy and hold. It’s unlikely I will own more than 3 or 4 motorcycles in my lifetime. I don’t want to be stuck with poor design features for the long periods of time I anticipate owning any vehicle.

I guess I view a motorcycle not much different than I do a car. It’s an appliance. I want a well-thought-out design that offers good value and reliable service. I don’t want to be constantly repairing it or shopping for a replacement. But I recognize it’s a major hobby or lifestyle for some people. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, just not my approach.
    Ha! Vark, you're surprised that Chunk has owned 40 bikes? Some people own 10 bikes at a time. You change your clothes for different occasions. You change bikes as well. Perhaps as you get older you need a different bike. Adventure riding, touring, two-up riding, hot rodding and just putting around on your R50/5. You need different bikes for each time of year! Anyhow, some of us get bored easy! Same old bike? When you buy another bike you have a whole new set of problems to work through. Good luck with BMWs!
    Airhead 6486
    1980 R100T
    1971 R50/5
    G650GS
    1967 R60/2, 1947 James ML

You're obviously free to set and maintain whatever standards you like, and airheads may be an acquired taste. It shouldn't be loud. Sometimes original owners lose their abilities to discern normal from decidedly abnormal about their bikes. It's also not uncommon for original owners to, uh, "customize" their bikes with aftermarket equipment that meets their needs and preferences---I call this "J.C. Whitney-ization"). Peeling this stuff off can make a big difference/improvement. If the R80's sidestand is a deal-breaker in its original configuration, there are aftermarket "solutions" (Brown, etc.)---they're utilitarian, but too ugly, by my own standards, so I've actually re-installed the spring-loaded OEM sidestand on my monoshock R100 that came from its original owner with a Brown. I think you'll find that most airheads have the same, problematic sidestand, or worse---earlier ones, like those on my /6 bikes, have side stands that tend to slice into hot summer asphalt, tilting the bike waay over. Speaking as a non-engineer German, German engineers don't always get everything right. Nonetheless, in the last three weeks, I've put about 2K miles on my '84 R100RT in two separate long jaunts (450 miles yesterday) without a hiccup---the thing continues to amaze me how well it works for its design purpose 36 years later. An old Gold Wing, GS850G, XS750, etc. may be as good, but I'll always like the aesthetics of an airhead engine hanging out both sides of the bike as it motors down the road. Good luck in your search.

Konrad

Airhead side stands are a simple matter of practice and a loud R80 is an oxymoron. I've only owned 33 moto bikes (30 bmw's) so I'm still a wanna be. "My name is .... and I have an addiction." But for most of us there is always another one out there with our name on it.

Hey thanks for that input. I appreciate the perspective you guys offer on the sidestand and noise volume. Much appreciated.

On a lighter note, they probably have a 12-step program for some of you guys.

Seriously, I have no problem with someone who wants to own a dozen bikes at once or has owned 30-40-50 of them in their lifetime. It’s your life and money do what you want.

But understand that when someone tells me they own or have owned that many bikes, I don’t view that as a sign of valuable experience that I want to tap into. Exact opposite. Alarms go off. I view that as advice coming from someone who is indecisive, compulsive, doesn’t know what they really want/need, doesn’t do their homework, is never happy with what they bought/have, etc etc. That’s not the sort of resource I want to tap into.

I see much more value in input from folks who have owned a small number of bikes, because they considered carefully and found good candidates that worked well over the long haul. They will have long term experience with the few given models they’ve owned.

I only belabor this because it’s something encountered regularly on internet forums. The folks making these statements about their vast ownership experience don’t seem to realize that for many of us that sort of ownership experience is an immediate red flag.
    Last edited by vark; 10-20-2019 at 03:42 PM.

In case it wasn't mentioned, the reason for the auto retract feature is because there are no warnings or interlocks found on later bikes to warn you that your first left hand turn may put a brown stain where the sun don't shine...or worse. I mentioned that the over center spring can be defeated, but in the tragic case of an accident, lawyers will seize on the modification to safety by the owner. As I recall a company by the name of Schneider was legislated out of business as a result of their side stand product being implicated in an accident.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    In case it wasn't mentioned, the reason for the auto retract feature is because there are no warnings or interlocks found on later bikes to warn you that your first left hand turn may put a brown stain where the sun don't shine...or worse. I mentioned that the over center spring can be defeated, but in the tragic case of an accident, lawyers will seize on the modification to safety by the owner. As I recall a company by the name of Schneider was legislated out of business as a result of their side stand product being implicated in an accident.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm
    Odd that a premium brand like BMW didn’t just use a defeat switch that kills the engine if the sidestand is down when placed in gear. But the spring is an acceptable alternative.

The real issue I’m getting at here is the location of the sidestand and the difficulty of deploying it while seated on the bike.

Time for a story. 34 or so years ago I had a friend in a local club. To dismount, he always pulled to a stop, swung his leg over the seat, stood beside his R80RT, and put the sidestand down. He was fairly short and putting the sidestand fully forward was a reach with his leg length. He also often made snide remarks about my aftermarket Brown sidestand which he called a "big Schwinn."

So one weekend he and Voni and I headed off to a rally. And Voni's sister was going to come along with us as our friend's passenger for a surprise birthday shindig for one of Voni's other sisters. So, he bungee-netted a spare helmet for Elaine to the seat of his bike. Our first stop, before we picked up Elaine was for fuel. Attempting his typical dismount prior to putting the sidestand down he tangled his foot in that bungee net holding the helmet to his pillion seat. But the RT was saved from any damage by his body under it as it lay on its left side.

Fast forward to our arrival at the rally site 500 or so miles later. Once inside the gate he spied a couple of flea market style vendors with stuff spread out on a couple of tarps under some shade trees. Instead of heading to registration he rode straightaway to the vendor tarps. He found, purchased, and installed one each used Brown sidestand to his motorcycle before proceeding to registration or setting up his tent. Thus ends my tale of his sidestand woes. Except I got to congratulate him on his "big Schwinn."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/