• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RS fairing

poosu

poosu
The day we all dread came. I crashed my 1999 R1100RS. I'm OK thanks to an Olympia jacket and a Bilt Helmet. The bike did pretty well. A few scuff marks but major damage is to the main fairing housing. The part that holds the headlight and turn signals. I've pieced it into ride able condition with JB weld and tape, but I would like to replace the unit if a used part can be found. A quick scan of Bob's BMW didn't reveal anything. The bike has 88K on it. What are my options?

E-bay has a lot of R 1100 parts listed, I have seen many fairing items listed. Color rite should have paint to match.

Good suggestion. Scanned the site and there was one piece that came close but not what I need. I'll keep looking.
Thanks

I checked all the usual sources too, I did find a place in Germany that handled 2nd hand parts, did find one piece, but the part number didn't match.

https://www.bmwbayer.de/en

I have also heard of other BMW riders going to the German e-bay site with some success finding parts.

good luck on your search,

1997 R1100RS front fairing removal

I am trying to replace the front fairing on my 1997 R1100RS. When I get to removing the fairing from around the windshield bracket I get stuck. I cannot figure out how to get it out from behind the bracket. I asked my local BMW motorcycle shop and they did not know.
Any suggestions?

I am trying to replace the front fairing on my 1997 R1100RS. When I get to removing the fairing from around the windshield bracket I get stuck. I cannot figure out how to get it out from behind the bracket. I asked my local BMW motorcycle shop and they did not know.
Any suggestions?

Your local BMW shop is not being helpful. If you brought the bike in for that work to be done they would darn well know how or find out.

I understand they don't want to take a lot of their time to teach you, but sheesh, that ought to be a simple thing to bring up on their computer and show you in about 2 minutes.

Could you be a bit more descriptive, of the component that is difficult to remove. I had my entire fairing disassembled a few years ago, and may be able to guide you. Mine is a 2000 RS.

Any suggestions?

Your local BMW shop is not being helpful. If you brought the bike in for that work to be done they would darn well know how or find out.

I understand they don't want to take a lot of their time to teach you, but sheesh, that ought to be a simple thing to bring up on their computer and show you in about 2 minutes.

Thanks. I would have thought so also. Anyway, will follow the other suggestions.

Could you be a bit more descriptive, of the component that is difficult to remove. I had my entire fairing disassembled a few years ago, and may be able to guide you. Mine is a 2000 RS.

I get it all the way to having the fairing loose, but can't get the fairing out from behind the windshield bracket; i.e., the hole in the fairing for the headlight is smaller than the smallest dimension of the bracket. And I don't see, or have access to whatever is securing the bracket. I have to think there's a simple answer but haven't found it yet. May need to attack it again when I have plenty of time to ponder.

The RS fairing has several individual components. The left and right side parts that have the cockpit gauges, and switches, must be removed first. With these gone, you can see all of the fasteners, that attach to the fairing subframe. Make sure every fastener that holds the front fairing component is undone. The main (front) fairing component attaches at several points, Along the subframe. Unfortunately, my RS is at a remote location, and I cannot check all of the fastener points, only from memory.

I get it all the way to having the fairing loose, but can't get the fairing out from behind the windshield bracket; i.e., the hole in the fairing for the headlight is smaller than the smallest dimension of the bracket. And I don't see, or have access to whatever is securing the bracket. I have to think there's a simple answer but haven't found it yet. May need to attack it again when I have plenty of time to ponder.

Back