Thread: Semi Spherical Valve Shim - KIT?

Semi Spherical Valve Shim - KIT?

Hello, I have scoured the internet looking for a Valve Shim KIT, for my 2013 R1200RT Camhead. So far, unbelievably, I cannot find such a thing - regardless of the price. Has anyone else found one?

Welcome to the forum! I don't know if they have it, but have you looked at Beemer Boneyard? IIRC they might have an MOA discount for some products.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Schmails
    Iíve always wondered this myself. When I check for clearances, and find a deficiency, I have to take the shim out, measurements, and then go to my local dealership to find the one I need? That seems roundabout.

Maybe I should just buy various semisphere shims of various sizes, as I know they will wear. Wonder how many sizes there are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Greetings from the Philadelphia Suburbs.
    '11 R1200RT Ostra Gray

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordhayes View Post
    Hello, I have scoured the internet looking for a Valve Shim KIT, for my 2013 R1200RT Camhead. So far, unbelievably, I cannot find such a thing - regardless of the price. Has anyone else found one?
    I was never able to find them either.

Dealer wanted $8.20 for shim and $2.10 for shaft clip last time.

I have needed so few I just get them from dealer when needed even though it is an hours drive to get there. If I was patient, online parts from a dealer, like Max, would work also.

GD
    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years

I plan on measuring and then getting what I need from the dealer (assuming they sell them and have the size or sizes I need in stock). If it's going to take a long time, like if they are out of stock on the size I need, I'll just put it back together and ride, then crack open the valve covers and install the new ones when I get them. I might lose a little oil but that's easy enough to replenish plus knowing the needed sizes already there's no need to remeasure and all. Just get the affected side back to TDC, pop the old one off, put the new one on, new circlip, done.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by schmails View Post
    Wonder how many sizes there are.
    4.60mm to 5.70mm by the 0.05mm. 23 sizes is what BMW has listed.

Factory shims which come out are in 0.005mm though.

GD

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar

Thumbs up Semi-Sphere kit

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordhayes View Post
    i, too, wanted a "shim kit" for my 13RT....nope, nadda...not available so i made one up....3 of each size plus i bought the "E" clips from McMaster-Carr in bulk....did the same for my 15-S1000R...pricey yes, but it is nice to have them on hand for my RT as well as the 4 others that i service on a regular basis...
    ~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

I'm not sure what everyone else's experience has been with shimmed valves, but the 5 shimmed valve bikes I have had typically only required one shim or less during the time I owned them. If that low frequency is typical, buying a pile of shims for a single bike seems pretty pricy. It might be more cost effective to call the parts department at Max or Bob's asking them if they can overnight shims to you.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I'm not sure what everyone else's experience has been with shimmed valves, but the 5 shimmed valve bikes I have had typically only required one shim or less during the time I owned them. If that low frequency is typical, buying a pile of shims for a single bike seems pretty pricy. It might be more cost effective to call the parts department at Max or Bob's asking them if they can overnight shims to you.
    Mine has needed 1 shim in 45,000 miles. Funny thing - the shim that came out was a custom fractional MM one BMW installed at the factory. It appears in no parts listing. Apparently to get them out the door running right they have some special factory only parts available.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Funny thing - the shim that came out was a custom fractional MM one BMW installed at the factory. It appears in no parts listing. Apparently to get them out the door running right they have some special factory only parts available.
    Yes it is interesting they only want to work in 2 thousands of an inch increments in the field but at the factory 2 ten thousands of an inch is standard step between shims. And the specification clearance range given to hit at 4 thousands of an inch between min and max clearance.

However it would mean the dealers would need to stock something like 230 individual sizes. Maybe not realistic.

GD

Douglas Williams
    At 48,000, I had 6 valves out of spec. After measuring the shims that came out, I was able to relocate 3 of them to other valves so I only had to buy 3. It's expensive and I had to order online, but I don't see an advantage to trying to have a set. You'd probably end up with some shims that can be reused and others you'd never use. Also, with my luck, I'd need several of the same size and have to order them anyway. BTW, the 48,000 check was the first time any of the valves had to be shimmed since new. They're very stable.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

I personally like the old Hex Head valve adjustment design. No parts to buy. You can be as anal as you want to get the valve adjustment perfect in the center of the range. No E clips to fall off and cause problems. But the new design allows the dealer to do a quick adjustment check and if it is out of spec replace the part check again and you are good to go. Fast and easy. I guess most of the BMW owners take their bikes in for service so it is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents
    Roger L