• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Carb Replacement 72’ 75/5

yourpalcal

After reading Snowbum’s carb article, I realize my original 64/32/1 and 2 Bing carbs are probably not the best. Plus they need to be completely rebuilt. I’ve decided to go with a slightly newer model /6 or /7 Bing 32mm carb. They should be able to balance easier and according the Snowbum the early Bings were a major headache. Anyway, I found a couple good used ones from a independent dealer. Of my two options which do you guys prefer: One pair 64/32/323 + 324 or the other 64/32/357 + 358? Thanks

Well, those carbs are not slightly newer but a number of years past the /6 era. But with any carbs, you're going to have to play the jet game in order to dial them in to your bike. I might prefer to find something that is closer in time to your bike, say the 9/10 or maybe 13/14 carbs. Here's a spec sheet for the various carbs from Duane's site:

https://w6rec.com/bing-carb-specs/page2-5/

The 323/324 is shown for the R80 (probably the early '80s) and the 357/358 is for the R80GS/R100GS (much later in the '80s). There could be other choices that are more for the 750cc bikes, but I guess it comes down to what's available.

Back