• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

96 K1100LT Rear ABS Brake Hose Replacement Question

Hi all. I have a pinhole leak in the rear ABS brake hose - see picture. I ordered the part and am wondering if anyone has any sage advice on the replacement procedure.IMG_11492.jpg

If not, that's a fine. I'll just dig in anyway. Just seeing if I can avoid the proverbial :banghead.

Hi all. I have a pinhole leak in the rear ABS brake hose - see picture. I ordered the part and am wondering if anyone has any sage advice on the replacement procedure.View attachment 72656

If not, that's a fine. I'll just dig in anyway. Just seeing if I can avoid the proverbial :banghead.

Do yourself a favor and cancel the OEM part then order up a set of stainless replacement hoses from Spiegler. They are good at walking you through the order on the phone if you need help, and you’ll appreciate the improvement in brake performance and hose longevity.

https://spieglerusa.com

Also available with great tech support from http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

Just do it!

Best,
DG

David,

We ask that all original posters of a new thread in this section (Flying Bricks) post the year and model of the bike in question IN THE TITLE of the thread. With so many differences between the years and models, it makes for more pertinant and accurate replies.

I don't belive you can change the title once you have posted it, but I can. So, if you would post the year and model, I will change the title.

It appears to be some model of a K1100 maybe?

:dance:dance:dance

1996 K1100LT - Rear brake

David,

We ask that all original posters of a new thread in this section (Flying Bricks) post the year and model of the bike in question IN THE TITLE of the thread. With so many differences between the years and models, it makes for more pertinant and accurate replies.

I don't belive you can change the title once you have posted it, but I can. So, if you would post the year and model, I will change the title.

It appears to be some model of a K1100 maybe?

Yessir. 1996 K1100LT Sorry for my lack of forum decorum.

Do yourself a favor and cancel the OEM part then order up a set of stainless replacement hoses from Spiegler. They are good at walking you through the order on the phone if you need help, and you’ll appreciate the improvement in brake performance and hose longevity.

https://spieglerusa.com

Also available with great tech support from http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

Just do it!

Best,
DG

Will do. I have all new stainless on the front set up already.

Brake hoses on 1996 K1100LT

Will do. I have all new stainless on the front set up already.

Yesterday I began to replace the OEM brake hoses on my 1996 K1100LT with stainless steel braided hoses. That ended in failure. I managed to fit the three hoses that feed the front two calipers, but was unable to bleed the system. I couldn't fit the hose on the front master cylinder at all because I couldn't access the other end. Actually, I couldn't even see the end that apparently attaches to a solid steel line. It disappears under a mass of wiring and frame tubes just back of the steering head. How in the world does one change that hose?
BTW, the Haynes service manual is pretty much useless as a guide to this work. It addresses the earlier models fairly well, but the supplement for the later years of K-bikes is very general in this area.

Walt,

I assume that you removed the fuel tank before trying to access the brake lines, correct?

Walt,

The 2v K100s and the K75s have the junction of the hoses and the tubes right under the forward edge of the tank. Some movement of the wiring is required. I guess the K11s are different in that respect. I've never been in there on a K11. :dunno

This may get more/better responce if it was a stand alone thread. I will move it to a separate thread this evening or tomorrow. Right now I'm out the door for a ride.:bolt

Patience and percevarance

Its there and you can get to it but you need patience and perseverance in your quest. I'm on my second K 1100LT Spiegler brake line install and know the drill. You have to remove the plastic and gas tank and get some good lighting to do it but it is worth the struggle in the end.

Back