Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 96 K1100LT Rear ABS Brake Hose Replacement Question

  1. #1
    db
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Coast - CA
    Posts
    20

    96 K1100LT Rear ABS Brake Hose Replacement Question

    Hi all. I have a pinhole leak in the rear ABS brake hose - see picture. I ordered the part and am wondering if anyone has any sage advice on the replacement procedure.IMG_11492.jpg

    If not, that's a fine. I'll just dig in anyway. Just seeing if I can avoid the proverbial .

  2. #2
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbufo View Post
    Hi all. I have a pinhole leak in the rear ABS brake hose - see picture. I ordered the part and am wondering if anyone has any sage advice on the replacement procedure.IMG_11492.jpg

    If not, that's a fine. I'll just dig in anyway. Just seeing if I can avoid the proverbial .
    Do yourself a favor and cancel the OEM part then order up a set of stainless replacement hoses from Spiegler. They are good at walking you through the order on the phone if you need help, and you’ll appreciate the improvement in brake performance and hose longevity.

    https://spieglerusa.com

    Also available with great tech support from http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

    Just do it!

    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  3. #3
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,723
    David,

    We ask that all original posters of a new thread in this section (Flying Bricks) post the year and model of the bike in question IN THE TITLE of the thread. With so many differences between the years and models, it makes for more pertinant and accurate replies.

    I don't belive you can change the title once you have posted it, but I can. So, if you would post the year and model, I will change the title.

    It appears to be some model of a K1100 maybe?





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  4. #4
    db
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Coast - CA
    Posts
    20

    1996 K1100LT - Rear brake

    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    David,

    We ask that all original posters of a new thread in this section (Flying Bricks) post the year and model of the bike in question IN THE TITLE of the thread. With so many differences between the years and models, it makes for more pertinant and accurate replies.

    I don't belive you can change the title once you have posted it, but I can. So, if you would post the year and model, I will change the title.

    It appears to be some model of a K1100 maybe?






    Yessir. 1996 K1100LT Sorry for my lack of forum decorum.

  5. #5
    db
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Coast - CA
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Do yourself a favor and cancel the OEM part then order up a set of stainless replacement hoses from Spiegler. They are good at walking you through the order on the phone if you need help, and you’ll appreciate the improvement in brake performance and hose longevity.

    https://spieglerusa.com

    Also available with great tech support from http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com

    Just do it!

    Best,
    DG
    Will do. I have all new stainless on the front set up already.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    boise, idaho
    Posts
    164

    Brake hoses on 1996 K1100LT

    Quote Originally Posted by davidbufo View Post
    Will do. I have all new stainless on the front set up already.
    Yesterday I began to replace the OEM brake hoses on my 1996 K1100LT with stainless steel braided hoses. That ended in failure. I managed to fit the three hoses that feed the front two calipers, but was unable to bleed the system. I couldn't fit the hose on the front master cylinder at all because I couldn't access the other end. Actually, I couldn't even see the end that apparently attaches to a solid steel line. It disappears under a mass of wiring and frame tubes just back of the steering head. How in the world does one change that hose?
    BTW, the Haynes service manual is pretty much useless as a guide to this work. It addresses the earlier models fairly well, but the supplement for the later years of K-bikes is very general in this area.

  7. #7
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,723
    Walt,

    I assume that you removed the fuel tank before trying to access the brake lines, correct?




    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    boise, idaho
    Posts
    164
    Of course.

  9. #9
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,723
    Walt,

    The 2v K100s and the K75s have the junction of the hoses and the tubes right under the forward edge of the tank. Some movement of the wiring is required. I guess the K11s are different in that respect. I've never been in there on a K11.


    This may get more/better responce if it was a stand alone thread. I will move it to a separate thread this evening or tomorrow. Right now I'm out the door for a ride.





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  10. #10

    Patience and percevarance

    Its there and you can get to it but you need patience and perseverance in your quest. I'm on my second K 1100LT Spiegler brake line install and know the drill. You have to remove the plastic and gas tank and get some good lighting to do it but it is worth the struggle in the end.

Similar Threads

  1. rear turn signal bulb replacement 95 K1100lt
    By detjohno in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2016, 08:27 PM
  2. 06 r1200 rt Rear brake reservoir hose
    By cjlam in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2015, 10:51 PM
  3. Galfer brake hose question
    By awagnon in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM
  4. K1100LT Rear Brake
    By kgadley01 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •