• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200GS Extended Warranty

flabbygears

Hey Group,
Gotta say there's nothing about this bike that I dislike. Well...if there was a button that made it 100lbs lighter when I get off road that would be nice. BMW...can you get on that please.
The factory warranty period is ending on this bike come springtime '19 and I'm faced with either purchasing the extended warranty or going into that unknown scary place. I'd love to hear from people on their experiences with this series of water cooled boxers and this subject of WARRANTY. For some reason it really bothers me aside from the additional $$ outlay. Granted I've got under 20K miles so far and aside from the few recalls the bike has been worry free.
Safe riding out there.

Hey Group,
Gotta say there's nothing about this bike that I dislike. Well...if there was a button that made it 100lbs lighter when I get off road that would be nice. BMW...can you get on that please.
The factory warranty period is ending on this bike come springtime '19 and I'm faced with either purchasing the extended warranty or going into that unknown scary place. I'd love to hear from people on their experiences with this series of water cooled boxers and this subject of WARRANTY. For some reason it really bothers me aside from the additional $$ outlay. Granted I've got under 20K miles so far and aside from the few recalls the bike has been worry free.
Safe riding out there.

So I got my 2016 R1200 GS Adv in Oct of 2015 and it currently has over 60,000 miles on it.
So far my extended warranty has replaced
1) the Wonder Wheel (it was freely spinning and GPS would zoom out to a globe view on interstate ) $280-ish
2) The transmission (bearing went out ) and due to production date they dont' do repairs, just full blown replacement ($4500 for tranny / $8500+ total cost)
Trans replacement also required a new starter motor (unsure why) as well as a few other parts.

SO, am I glad I spent $1500 on a Pinnacle warranty - YOU BETCHA

Will your bike need a transmission soon - who knows, but I Ride a LOT and it has paid for itself several times over!!

Hopefully you don't have that issue like I did, but I'm glad I had the warranty!

Dave

Depends

If you ride a lot of miles, definitely! Weekend play bike, maybe. I have about 70K mile on a 2014 and paid $1500 for 2 year extended warranty at the end of factory warranty. Under extended warranty I had the following replaced LED headlight $2000, starter motor $600, TPS $200, a couple brackets $200, Stator $3000 and I had the clutch replace while the stator replaced on my dime $800.

If you ride a lot of miles, definitely! Weekend play bike, maybe. I have about 70K mile on a 2014 and paid $1500 for 2 year extended warranty at the end of factory warranty. Under extended warranty I had the following replaced LED headlight $2000, starter motor $600, TPS $200, a couple brackets $200, Stator $3000 and I had the clutch replace while the stator replaced on my dime $800.

Yikes! $2,000 to replace the LED headlight?

caz

Which warranty company did you go with?

I've had that question every time I purchased a new BMW. So far I have not purchased an extended warranty, but I have 2 bikes and do about 7000 miles a year each bike and don't seem to keep them long enough to worry much about it. Used bike buyers love me. Now if I kept a bike long enough I would purchase the warranty. I have until factory warranty expires to purchase. My truck is a different story. 9 years old 109,000 miles and I knew I was going to keep it. I did extend the warranty. I've got 11 mths and 8000 miles left. Then do I sell/trade/run it into the ground? Not a lot of repairs, but enough to justify the extended warranty plus peace of mind. I've heard good things about Pinnacle from owners and BMW service depts. And yes, my GSA headlamp had to be replaced due to a non attentive driver hitting my parked bike $1800 parts + labor. Just my 2 cents.

I have had Pinnacle and RPM1 and happy with both. RPM1 offers a 5 year addition to the 3 year OEM so on my 2016 I got 8 years total.

Extended warranties are a kind of insurance; that is, a wager to distribute financial risk. The policyholders pay in a small amount, and a few receive large payouts when they have a loss. A company that sells extended warranties must be paying out less in claims than they take in as premiums (or they would be losing money). That means some will come out ahead with an extended warranty, but most will not. In my view insurance is advisable only for large risks that would be difficult to sustain financially without it. (I realize that this is a simplified view of insurance, but the essence is correct.)

I only buy insurance for really large risks (health, home, and auto), and I never buy extended warranties. An extended warranty can help manage the risk of a large repair bill (at a cost), but I prefer to assume the risk myself. If I could afford, say, a Gulfstream V, I would insure it. :)

I would look closely at what a warranty plan covers before buying one. With this plan

https://pppcoverage.com/motorcycles.html

it is hard to see what is covered.

Cheers, Ken

P.S. When I bought my bike the dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what was covered. That was an easy decision.

I have never bought an extended warranty for any thing. Maybe I should. Maybe not. The sellers of such would not be in business unless they won most of the time.

The worst case scenario is a repair bill so high I don't want the bike any more. So I junk it. That is a risk I will take. YMMV>

Extended warranties are a kind of insurance; that is, a wager to distribute financial risk. The policyholders pay in a small amount, and a few receive large payouts when they have a loss. A company that sells extended warranties must be paying out less in claims than they take in as premiums (or they would be losing money). That means some will come out ahead with an extended warranty, but most will not. In my view insurance is advisable only for large risks that would be difficult to sustain financially without it. (I realize that this is a simplified view of insurance, but the essence is correct.)

I only buy insurance for really large risks (health, home, and auto), and I never buy extended warranties. An extended warranty can help manage the risk of a large repair bill (at a cost), but I prefer to assume the risk myself. If I could afford, say, a Gulfstream V, I would insure it. :)

I would look closely at what a warranty plan covers before buying one. With this plan

https://pppcoverage.com/motorcycles.html

it is hard to see what is covered.

Cheers, Ken

P.S. When I bought my bike the dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what was covered. That was an easy decision.

These extended warranty threads are getting as bad as oil threads .... that being said I have always purchased an extended warranty on my BMW's and have only used them a few times. I have always bought the one my dealer suggests as they have to deal with the claims. The few claims have been total invisible to me as my dealer handled it all. They simply repaired my bike. Some things to consider when buying an extended warranty:

• The price of any extended warranty is always negotiable
  • They are like insurance where as if you don't use them you don't get paid
  • The good ones are transferable and that can me a beneficial selling point if you sell your bike before the warranty expires
  • Another option most plans have should you sell your bike is you can cancel it and get a prorated refund of the unused portion

Life and bikes today are very different than years back. Repair costs of new bikes can be very costly so if you can afford to "self insure" as Paul suggested and be prepared to pay $1000 or much more for a repair then that can certainly be a financial benefit is you have no issues.

My additional 5 years cost me about $1000 in 2016 when I bought my RT. That is $200 for each additional year or literally pennies a day or mile. For me it was worth the cost. Others may opt to save the money and hope they never need to spend it. It is all about choices and what you are comfortable with.

Back