• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Loaded gear and bike weight vs listed max weight

brownie0486

I've worked up the numbers for mine in US pounds. 2012 R1200GS

Max weight = 992
Left bag=30
right bag=30
racks=22
me=180
passenger=125
bike=525
camping gear=23
935 pounds total. If I'm solo, only 810. Give or take another 20 pounds leeway just to be safe and I'm still below max weight. Being able to go from max 44#'s in the Varios to 60#'s in the Lone Riders gets rid of the blue dry bag where the passenger seat would be. Lower COG, less drag and 18.4% under max weight one up and 5.8% under max weight two up.

When you've taken a trip, how close are you to max weight in gear? Does it matter?

What is the specific model? Might be more helpful for someone else making some comparisons. :thumb

Did you include your ridding gear?

In the give or take 20#'s which would include the riding gear/helmet and things in my pockets. Most of the time I'm solo so I'd still be 105#'s under max weight. I doubt I'd take more than 10#'s of clothes and allotted for 20. The rain gear/gloves etc are already figured into the pannier weight.

NOT MY BIKE:doh

attachment-23.jpeg

I look at my loaded bike, compare to this shot and figure I am wayyyy below limits everytime.:dance

My sidecases end up with less weight, at least on one side as it has quick need items like raingear,heated gear first aid kit,and such. The drive side has tools and associated bike items...and every trip I lighten it if possible from experiences and lessons learned.

Since there is never a pillion, I do at least figure total added load should be an average persons weight. Typically on long trips for us, there are two bikes to split up camping gear...a luxury some do not have.

Also, all suggested weights are on the low side for the liability lawyers which is fine, but know I can push that number in an emergency.

NOT MY BIKE:doh

View attachment 72626

I look at my loaded bike, compare to this shot and figure I am wayyyy below limits everytime.:dance

My sidecases end up with less weight, at least on one side as it has quick need items like raingear,heated gear first aid kit,and such. The drive side has tools and associated bike items...and every trip I lighten it if possible from experiences and lessons learned.

Since there is never a pillion, I do at least figure total added load should be an average persons weight. Typically on long trips for us, there are two bikes to split up camping gear...a luxury some do not have.

Also, all suggested weights are on the low side for the liability lawyers which is fine, but know I can push that number in an emergency.

Where did Helen get all that stuff? :wave:wave

Even H travels lighter than that! She laughs at my huge MotoFizz when it's expanded.

Poor bike, can you imagine a drop...would take a bit of off loading to find the bike :eek
And yes, putting it on the centerstand must be a chore.

Update after hearing from Andrew at Lone Rider

Max weight = 992
Left bag=30
right bag=30
racks=7
me=180
passenger=125+10 in gear/kit
bike=525
camping gear=23
Bags empty=13 per

946#'s total, 36#'s below stated gvw on the 12GS1200. 3.6% below recommended max weight on bike. Close, but there's room to spare in the bags.

Andrew stated each bag was tested to 60#'s of kit, but LR recommends 30# max per which I'll hold to or below. Riding one up, I'll be 17% below recommended max weight. It's unlikely I'll have a passenger, but needed to figure that number into whether I'd be over or at recommended gvw.

I won't worry about it, within reason.

How many Harleys do you see with a rider that weighs 300 and a 200 pound passenger. A HD Limited weighs 900 pounds and the max weight is around 1260 pounds. They are way over loaded without gear!

If you are a few pounds over I would not sweat it. Make sure the tires are aired up and ride respectfully of the weight. It is not like the motorcycle will collapse if you are 1 pound over. There is some margin of safety built in.

I won't worry about it, within reason.

How many Harleys do you see with a rider that weighs 300 and a 200 pound passenger. A HD Limited weighs 900 pounds and the max weight is around 1260 pounds. They are way over loaded without gear!

If you are a few pounds over I would not sweat it. Make sure the tires are aired up and ride respectfully of the weight. It is not like the motorcycle will collapse if you are 1 pound over. There is some margin of safety built in.

:thumb

Too many people simply take too much stuff. We've toured the US and Canada on a K75s with just the saddlebags and a small tail bag. Here's our GS loaded 2-up. Packing light doesn't mean doing without.
IMG_0835.JPG

That picture of Helen is great!
Who says you can't take it with you? She proves you CAN bring IT ALL and get it on the centerstand to boot!

We drag a trailer fairly often and do not camp. My wife can pack lightly if she really tries, but she likes to pack a good assortment of clothing. She hates to wear something more than one day! We went to see our daughter on a two week trip and she brought a dress and high heels, and I had dress pants, shirt and shoes to go with. We find it hard to pack just the motorcycle for a week and the trailer is not much hassle so it comes along, then we pack more stuff!

Back