Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Loaded gear and bike weight vs listed max weight

  1. #1

    Loaded gear and bike weight vs listed max weight

    I've worked up the numbers for mine in US pounds. 2012 R1200GS

    Max weight = 992
    Left bag=30
    right bag=30
    racks=22
    me=180
    passenger=125
    bike=525
    camping gear=23
    _____________________________________________
    935 pounds total. If I'm solo, only 810. Give or take another 20 pounds leeway just to be safe and I'm still below max weight. Being able to go from max 44#'s in the Varios to 60#'s in the Lone Riders gets rid of the blue dry bag where the passenger seat would be. Lower COG, less drag and 18.4% under max weight one up and 5.8% under max weight two up.

    When you've taken a trip, how close are you to max weight in gear? Does it matter?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  2. #2
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    19,950
    What is the specific model? Might be more helpful for someone else making some comparisons.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    What is the specific model? Might be more helpful for someone else making some comparisons.
    Sorry about that, I've edited the post to reflect the bike

    2012 R1200GS
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    5,665
    Did you include your ridding gear?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Did you include your ridding gear?

    In the give or take 20#'s which would include the riding gear/helmet and things in my pockets. Most of the time I'm solo so I'd still be 105#'s under max weight. I doubt I'd take more than 10#'s of clothes and allotted for 20. The rain gear/gloves etc are already figured into the pannier weight.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  6. #6
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,123
    NOT MY BIKE

    attachment-23.jpeg

    I look at my loaded bike, compare to this shot and figure I am wayyyy below limits everytime.

    My sidecases end up with less weight, at least on one side as it has quick need items like raingear,heated gear first aid kit,and such. The drive side has tools and associated bike items...and every trip I lighten it if possible from experiences and lessons learned.

    Since there is never a pillion, I do at least figure total added load should be an average persons weight. Typically on long trips for us, there are two bikes to split up camping gear...a luxury some do not have.

    Also, all suggested weights are on the low side for the liability lawyers which is fine, but know I can push that number in an emergency.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  7. #7
    How to hell did he get that on the center stand?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    NOT MY BIKE

    attachment-23.jpeg

    I look at my loaded bike, compare to this shot and figure I am wayyyy below limits everytime.

    My sidecases end up with less weight, at least on one side as it has quick need items like raingear,heated gear first aid kit,and such. The drive side has tools and associated bike items...and every trip I lighten it if possible from experiences and lessons learned.

    Since there is never a pillion, I do at least figure total added load should be an average persons weight. Typically on long trips for us, there are two bikes to split up camping gear...a luxury some do not have.

    Also, all suggested weights are on the low side for the liability lawyers which is fine, but know I can push that number in an emergency.
    Where did Helen get all that stuff?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  9. #9
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,123
    Even H travels lighter than that! She laughs at my huge MotoFizz when it's expanded.

    Poor bike, can you imagine a drop...would take a bit of off loading to find the bike
    And yes, putting it on the centerstand must be a chore.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    100
    Maybe the Wife threw him out.

  11. #11
    Update after hearing from Andrew at Lone Rider

    Max weight = 992
    Left bag=30
    right bag=30
    racks=7
    me=180
    passenger=125+10 in gear/kit
    bike=525
    camping gear=23
    Bags empty=13 per

    946#'s total, 36#'s below stated gvw on the 12GS1200. 3.6% below recommended max weight on bike. Close, but there's room to spare in the bags.

    Andrew stated each bag was tested to 60#'s of kit, but LR recommends 30# max per which I'll hold to or below. Riding one up, I'll be 17% below recommended max weight. It's unlikely I'll have a passenger, but needed to figure that number into whether I'd be over or at recommended gvw.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  12. #12
    I won't worry about it, within reason.

    How many Harleys do you see with a rider that weighs 300 and a 200 pound passenger. A HD Limited weighs 900 pounds and the max weight is around 1260 pounds. They are way over loaded without gear!

    If you are a few pounds over I would not sweat it. Make sure the tires are aired up and ride respectfully of the weight. It is not like the motorcycle will collapse if you are 1 pound over. There is some margin of safety built in.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I won't worry about it, within reason.

    How many Harleys do you see with a rider that weighs 300 and a 200 pound passenger. A HD Limited weighs 900 pounds and the max weight is around 1260 pounds. They are way over loaded without gear!

    If you are a few pounds over I would not sweat it. Make sure the tires are aired up and ride respectfully of the weight. It is not like the motorcycle will collapse if you are 1 pound over. There is some margin of safety built in.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  14. #14
    Registered User CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Laurel Park, NC
    Posts
    147
    Too many people simply take too much stuff. We've toured the US and Canada on a K75s with just the saddlebags and a small tail bag. Here's our GS loaded 2-up. Packing light doesn't mean doing without.
    IMG_0835.JPG
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    Too many people simply take too much stuff. We've toured the US and Canada on a K75s with just the saddlebags and a small tail bag. Here's our GS loaded 2-up. Packing light doesn't mean doing without.
    IMG_0835.JPG
    Were you staying in motels or camping?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Similar Threads

  1. Max gear weight for soft pannier
    By brownie0486 in forum Gear
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-03-2019, 06:15 PM
  2. K12RS Oil Weight
    By K12RS in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM
  3. What Weight Oil...
    By Peter_Krynicki in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 04:48 AM
  4. Weight?
    By swbell in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM
  5. Bike weight?
    By mikegates in forum Airheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •