Thread: Sena 20s EVO

Sena 20s EVO

Just upgraded my SMH10 to a 20s EVO. Question:

I want to switch over to Earbud's that still filter out noise, taking advantage of the speaker port on the 20s. Helmet is a new Shoei RF1200.

My only complaint with the SMH10 is that I wear earplugs but had to crank up the music to hear anything, so I'm hoping for a recommendation (Etymotic?) that might give me the same hearing protection with speakers, that allow me to listen at lower volumes.

Thanks much,

RPGR90s

I use these. http://iasus-concepts.com/audio/xs3-helmet-speaker/

They are much clearer than the OEM Sena speakers. They also make a less expensove model. http://iasus-concepts.com/audio/xs2-1-helmet-speaker/

Check me on this but I think the audio out on the 20s is only on the USB port on the helmet clamp. There is a plug on the back side of the clamp but that is an import audio jack for nav or radar detectors. On the 10S, we had to purchase a different clamp kit that had an audio plug wire hanging off the clamp. Again, I am not sure about the 20s but you might experiment with a cheap set of earbuds to make sure it does what you need before shelling out $$ for ear buds.
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    2015 Triumph Explorer 1200 (Jessica)
    AmenMoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by enzo5000 View Post
    I use these. http://iasus-concepts.com/audio/xs3-helmet-speaker/

They are much clearer than the OEM Sena speakers. They also make a less expensove model. http://iasus-concepts.com/audio/xs2-1-helmet-speaker/
    Enzo,

Just to be clear, you use the x3 speakers with your stock Sena 20 mount? Does the x3 speakers simply plug into the helmet clamp or do you do have to do any kind of mods?
    I've never been happy with the Sena stock speakers.

Thanks for the advice,
    Daryl
    Daryl Casey
    Frankfort, KY
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

Sena speaker port

Quote Originally Posted by dug_c View Post
    Check me on this but I think the audio out on the 20s is only on the USB port on the helmet clamp. There is a plug on the back side of the clamp but that is an import audio jack for nav or radar detectors. On the 10S, we had to purchase a different clamp kit that had an audio plug wire hanging off the clamp. Again, I am not sure about the 20s but you might experiment with a cheap set of earbuds to make sure it does what you need before shelling out $$ for ear buds.
    Dug,

I believe the port is a 3.5mm standard female stereo jack. And yes, there's another port on the back.

Name:  20s_EVO_Earbuds.png
Views: 259
Size:  51.0 KB

Good advice on experimenting. I can do that.

I use jaybird freedom earbuds, they are bluetooth, while I know thats not what you need they have foam tips made of the same material that earplugs are made of ! This gives them great noise reduction properties. I have seen corded ear buds with the same foam tips! I have also seen at best buy and Amazon replacement foam tips thay may be adaptable to different types of earbuds. For me the foam tips also stay in a lot better than the silicone tips!
    Hope this helps!
    Snoops

Sena

Quote Originally Posted by Snoops View Post
    I use jaybird freedom earbuds, they are bluetooth, while I know thats not what you need they have foam tips made of the same material that earplugs are made of ! This gives them great noise reduction properties. I have seen corded ear buds with the same foam tips! I have also seen at best buy and Amazon replacement foam tips thay may be adaptable to different types of earbuds. For me the foam tips also stay in a lot better than the silicone tips!
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks so much!

I use the wired Bose Nose Cancelling Ear buds. I can hear real well at any speed. Expensive but worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Dug,

I believe the port is a 3.5mm standard female stereo jack. And yes, there's another port on the back.

Name:  20s_EVO_Earbuds.png
Views: 259
Size:  51.0 KB

Good advice on experimenting. I can do that.
    Good info. Thanks. The 10s are different so it's good you checked on this. THanks!
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    2015 Triumph Explorer 1200 (Jessica)
    AmenMoto.com

Earbuds

Thank You all for the feedback.

I rode to work the other day and the stock 20s EVO speakers are definitely too quiet, even cranked up full volume with my earplugs in. So I'll be looking at the Bose system as well as the Etymotic ER3 XR.

I talked to Etymotic and they said I can try them out and send back if not satisfied.

Rick