Thread: 05 RT 1200- No up shifting past first gear

05 RT 1200- No up shifting past first gear

Disaster this morning. One mile into Sunday morning ride, I lost shifting between second & third. While slowing, went down to first. Power applied, progressed, BUT but could not shift up. Limped home in first. Bike has 85000 kilometres on board, regular servicing. Gearbox oil changed 500 kilometres ago, nothing in old oil !

Any clues ?

DabDab
    Australia

Shift pawl (well, that's inside the gearbox I think so maybe you can't check that easily)? Shift lever bolt loose meaning it's not engaging the shaft? Can you put it into neutral? Have you tried shifting with your hand on the center stand (engine off please for safety) just to see if anything sounds wrong? You need to give the hive mind a little more information.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Capture.PNG

I was referring to item 1 in this image. It's held in place by the item 5 bolt. Also, is the link (Item 2) properly connected? Is the lever (item 4) screw (item 5 again) tight and properly gripping item 3?

If all these seem tight then the bad news is the rest of the claptrap is inside the gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    If all these seem tight then the bad news is the rest of the claptrap is inside the gearbox.
    If that's the case, most likely a return spring broken in the shift linkage inside the gearbox.

Frank
    '17 R1200RS 19,000 mi. '03 R1100S BCR#6/200 13,000 mi. '85 K100/1100RS 326,000 mi. '16 R1200RS (gone) '11 R1200RT (gone) '05 R1200ST (gone) '99 R1100S (gone) '96 Ducati 900SS/SP (gone) '92 K100RS (gone) 500,000+ BMW miles

How old is the clutch?
    Could be the clutch friction disc

My clutch started slipping and I lost all gears on the highway. I was able to pull out (I was near an exit) and cruise out of the highway.

Had the bike towed home

This is what my clutch disk plate looked like.

I replaced it with a Kevlar oil resistant clutch

I hope it's something else. This is an expensive repair.

YMMV
    Last edited by Dann; 02-11-2019 at 01:43 AM.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

05 RT 1200-No up shifting past first gear

An update

Pulled oil from gearbox, which was only 200k old since service. No obvious metal in oil.

Checked all external gear linkages - no unusual movement there. Clutch seems to work, fluid in reservoir is at normal height

Ran gearbox up/down via back wheel on rear stand - no real issues up and down but there was some vagueness going through detente above third gear going up the gears. Gearshift position indicator was working

Having recently done valves using rear wheel in 6th gear to progress through TDC, I did notice that there appeared to be very little resistance to moving the wheel forwards in 6th gear

One other issue of note - when I accelerate quickly up to 120KPH on freeway, I sometimes sense a small amount of clutch slip. Clutch is probably original, though I am second owner from 35, 000 ks. ODO now reads 88,151 kilometres

Is this an indication of CLUTCH problemsrather than gearbox per se

DabDab

When you say the clutch reservoir looks normal, what do you mean? Is it full or less than full? On these bikes as the clutch wears the reservoir level increases. Eventually, when the fluid level rises sufficiently, this will prevent the clutch from fully disengaging and will cause slippage. If the reservoir is full, open it up and suck it out to about midway between the marks, and close it up again. THen try to ride it and see what happens.

If it's somewhere between the marks then this is sounding more and more like the clutch is actually done. When you where in sixth do you know that the engine was actually moving? Maybe take a valve cover off and make sure. If it's not moving 1:1 with the rear wheel (by this I mean not stopping with the rear wheel in motion) the that's almost certainly a clutch issue.

...on the other hand, even if the clutch was worn out, the bike would still shift. It would just be really clunky. It would behave as if you were power-shifting (not using the clutch) - clunk! - but it still should change gears up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    ...on the other hand, even if the clutch was worn out, the bike would still shift. It would just be really clunky. It would behave as if you were power-shifting (not using the clutch) - clunk! - but it still should change gears up or down.
    Mine never "clunked" and was always easy to shift. It felt more like slipping.
    The bike was revving faster than normal to maintain the same speed until it completely failed.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396