Thread: Brick Oil Use?

Brick Oil Use?

I just noticed this subject referenced on another post. Don't worry it's not about what oil is best for your bike. I already know the answer to that
    I'm curious if you guys see oil consumption by your Bricks.
    FWIW, I used to see some oil loss between changes in the old K100s I had. Once I moved to K11s it was mostly gone. K12s I've had never used any.
    Yours?

About a cup every 1500 miles or so, but that’s on a K12 with 95k miles and pulling a sidecar rig with two people and luggage.

To whom at BMW do I complain about this consumption?

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I bought a very low mile '93 k75, it had 3,100 miles on it when i got it. I'm using 15w 50 mobil 1 in the engine. I started with oil level about 1/8 inch from the top circle (red circle) and now at 4,225 miles, I'm about 1/8 inch above the center dot. So not too alarming, but a little consumption, perhaps it's still braking in or finding it's own level, like my airheads do. I've never had a brick before but always was curious about them and this one showed up, pristine and local. Had to have it. Chunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    I bought a very low mile '93 k75, it had 3,100 miles on it when i got it. I'm using 15w 50 mobil 1 in the engine. I started with oil level about 1/8 inch from the top circle (red circle) and now at 4,225 miles, I'm about 1/8 inch above the center dot. So not too alarming, but a little consumption, perhaps it's still braking in or finding it's own level, like my airheads do. I've never had a brick before but always was curious about them and this one showed up, pristine and local. Had to have it. Chunk.
    What you describe is only about 2 to 3 ounces of oil in 4,225 miles. I don't consider that consumption worth thinking about because you will not need to add any oil between changes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    What you describe is only about 2 to 3 ounces of oil in 4,225 miles. I don't consider that consumption worth thinking about because you will not need to add any oil between changes.
    No, i think you may have miss read my post. I started with 3,100 miles when i got it, now at 4,225 miles, = 1125 miles ridden total. Chunk.

RK Ryder
    My '87 K100RT burns very little oil, like nil. The exemption is if riding the mountains for a few days, with constant change in speeds and gear changes, it will burn enough to be noticeable, but not enough to be worrisome.

The odometer is now sitting at 267, 000 km, using Castrol 20-50 oil.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 02-09-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

volunteers@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    No, i think you may have miss read my post. I started with 3,100 miles when i got it, now at 4,225 miles, = 1125 miles ridden total. Chunk.
    OK. Two ounces per thousand is ten ounces per 5000 miles which is the change interval suggested back in '91. So say 12 ounces in a 6000 mile change interval as later specified for K75s. Well within reason and with an almost 4 quart (128 ounces) those 12 ounces are insignificant. Just ride it. If the level reaches the circle at the bottom of the sight glass top it off with 8 or so ounces of oil. That would get you to your next oil change.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK. Two ounces per thousand is ten ounces per 5000 miles which is the change interval suggested back in '91. So say 12 ounces in a 6000 mile change interval as later specified for K75s. Well within reason and with an almost 4 quart (128 ounces) those 12 ounces are insignificant. Just ride it. If the level reaches the circle at the bottom of the sight glass top it off with 8 or so ounces of oil. That would get you to your next oil change.
    Yep, that's my thoughts too. I still think as the miles add up, the rings may seat in a little more, after all the motors still pretty new. Cheers, Chunk.