Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Ride

TravelsWithBarley.com
    If you drill down on the ADV Rider Tent Space Map you'll find a guy who lives very near the south rim. He'd be an excellent sources of "lives there" information

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    If you drill down on the ADV Rider Tent Space Map you'll find a guy who lives very near the south rim. He'd be an excellent sources of "lives there" information

Pete

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Ya Know I just got to mention;
    When your riding across the Navaho Nation where Kayenta Az is and the area east of Grand Canyon, BE CAREFUL.
    I've lived in this area for 41 years now and that reservation has had some real bad accidents out there. A lot of radical drinking and driving and all sorts of hard core drug use. That road from Tuba City to Flagstaff is also dangerous. Indians going into Flag, getting plastered and driving home.
    Just saying

I appreciate the "heads up".

It's a beautiful place. We took a trip on Route 66 a few years ago and stopped at the Canyon. It was early in May and I had scheduled a Sight-Seeing airplane tour through the canyon. I rode my K1200GT over to the airport in the snow. The pilot canceled the flight because of the weather. I had to chuckle since I was on a motorcycle.

My two riding buddys scheduled the mule ride. It went off without a hitch.
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7
    1989 K100rs, 2004 K1200GT, 2010 R1200RT

My wife and I rode around that area a while back on our K75S. One thing that I would do differently - Hydrate way more than you think. I thought that we were stopping often enough, but we were not. It would have been best for us to stop about every half hour and drink a half to one liter of water. Maybe this is where one of those camel-bak things would work well. Better to stop and drink more fluid than not. We ended up having a rest / hydration day instead of a hiking day enroute. It is wonderful country, but it is dry. You can tell this is true when you spit and it is dust by the time it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    My wife and I rode around that area a while back on our K75S. One thing that I would do differently - Hydrate way more than you think. I thought that we were stopping often enough, but we were not. It would have been best for us to stop about every half hour and drink a half to one liter of water. Maybe this is where one of those camel-bak things would work well. Better to stop and drink more fluid than not. We ended up having a rest / hydration day instead of a hiking day enroute. It is wonderful country, but it is dry. You can tell this is true when you spit and it is dust by the time it hits the ground.
    In a few hundred thousand miles of this, I can only say do not plan to drink at stops. Sip every few minutes as you ride. Voni uses a Camelback type bag in her tank bag. I use a bottle with a sipping hose mounted on the bike. Drink as you go. It is the only way to stay adequately hydrated in my experience.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    You might find this article interesting

100 things you should know about the Grand Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    Ha! We will definitely keep an eye out for dehydration.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    In a few hundred thousand miles of this, I can only say do not plan to drink at stops. Sip every few minutes as you ride. Voni uses a Camelback type bag in her tank bag. I use a bottle with a sipping hose mounted on the bike. Drink as you go. It is the only way to stay adequately hydrated in my experience.
    Appreciate the suggestion (and, I've always appreciated your articles in the old MOA magazine).

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    You might find this article interesting

100 things you should know about the Grand Canyon
    Wonderful , concise information.
    Thanks!

We’ve done canyon rides for the last 4 years in the fall, (October) approaching from both the north and south
    Always have stayed at the marble canyon lodge, very rustic and basic, it does have a great restaurant and Chevron gas station on the property, book early as it fills up, don’t forget to ride to Lee’s fairy
    Plan on stopping often as views are fantastic, north rim is a little less crowded than the south just saying
    And yes we’re going back again this year

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lancexmorehead View Post
    Wonderful , concise information.
    Thanks!
    The wife and I spent a few days out there 5 years ago. We stayed in Flagstaff and the first day we rode to the east entrance and visited most of the overlook stops on our R1200RT. The next day we rode to the south entrance and parked the bike and used the shuttle to visit everything on that side. It was much more crowded then the east side and you have to use the shuttles there. We were there 2 weeks before the north rim opened for the season. We experienced a full range of temperature and weather changes including snow and sleet and lots of sun and warmth. It was beautiful and pictures really don't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by lancexmorehead View Post
    We are starting in Grand Junction, CO and heading south towards the canyon; spending the first night in Kayenta; then meeting up with the wives in Flagstaff before completing our Grand Canyon tour
    Before you head south, you might enjoy a a little detour through the Colorado National Monument.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Before you head south, you might enjoy a a little detour through the Colorado National Monument.
    Thanks!

Well, I'm late to the party but I just got back from the west. I did a new Rawhide Adventure tour of the west. We went to the north rim via Bar 10 Ranch. Road wasn't bad but still challenging in areas. Probably a couple hundred miles of gravel, sand, rock and dirt. A friend went a few days later in his truck, ( I think 2WD ) but couldn't get to the north rim because of mud. It was an amazing trip, especially on a new 1250 GS...a bucket list trip for me. I hope your trip was great too! If I could make this thing take a picture...
    Ride fast, take chances.