• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grand Canyon Ride

My wife and I rode around that area a while back on our K75S. One thing that I would do differently - Hydrate way more than you think. I thought that we were stopping often enough, but we were not. It would have been best for us to stop about every half hour and drink a half to one liter of water. Maybe this is where one of those camel-bak things would work well. Better to stop and drink more fluid than not. We ended up having a rest / hydration day instead of a hiking day enroute. It is wonderful country, but it is dry. You can tell this is true when you spit and it is dust by the time it hits the ground.

In a few hundred thousand miles of this, I can only say do not plan to drink at stops. Sip every few minutes as you ride. Voni uses a Camelback type bag in her tank bag. I use a bottle with a sipping hose mounted on the bike. Drink as you go. It is the only way to stay adequately hydrated in my experience.

My wife and I rode around that area a while back on our K75S. One thing that I would do differently - Hydrate way more than you think. I thought that we were stopping often enough, but we were not. It would have been best for us to stop about every half hour and drink a half to one liter of water. Maybe this is where one of those camel-bak things would work well. Better to stop and drink more fluid than not. We ended up having a rest / hydration day instead of a hiking day enroute. It is wonderful country, but it is dry. You can tell this is true when you spit and it is dust by the time it hits the ground.
Ha! We will definitely keep an eye out for dehydration.

Thanks

In a few hundred thousand miles of this, I can only say do not plan to drink at stops. Sip every few minutes as you ride. Voni uses a Camelback type bag in her tank bag. I use a bottle with a sipping hose mounted on the bike. Drink as you go. It is the only way to stay adequately hydrated in my experience.

Appreciate the suggestion (and, I've always appreciated your articles in the old MOA magazine).

We’ve done canyon rides for the last 4 years in the fall, (October) approaching from both the north and south
Always have stayed at the marble canyon lodge, very rustic and basic, it does have a great restaurant and Chevron gas station on the property, book early as it fills up, don’t forget to ride to Lee’s fairy
Plan on stopping often as views are fantastic, north rim is a little less crowded than the south just saying
And yes we’re going back again this year

Wonderful , concise information.
Thanks!

The wife and I spent a few days out there 5 years ago. We stayed in Flagstaff and the first day we rode to the east entrance and visited most of the overlook stops on our R1200RT. The next day we rode to the south entrance and parked the bike and used the shuttle to visit everything on that side. It was much more crowded then the east side and you have to use the shuttles there. We were there 2 weeks before the north rim opened for the season. We experienced a full range of temperature and weather changes including snow and sleet and lots of sun and warmth. It was beautiful and pictures really don't do it justice.

Well, I'm late to the party but I just got back from the west. I did a new Rawhide Adventure tour of the west. We went to the north rim via Bar 10 Ranch. Road wasn't bad but still challenging in areas. Probably a couple hundred miles of gravel, sand, rock and dirt. A friend went a few days later in his truck, ( I think 2WD ) but couldn't get to the north rim because of mud. It was an amazing trip, especially on a new 1250 GS...a bucket list trip for me. I hope your trip was great too! If I could make this thing take a picture...

If I could make this thing take a picture...

Reduce the size =< 1200 x 1200 pixels and 5 MB file size. An easy way to do that is email yourself a copy and use that one instead. Most default settings in phones/tablets use a very high resolution greater than these limits. The best fix is to change those camera settings because you rarely need that type of resolution.

Pretty pricey camping out, moteling, eating at the Grand Canyon. It's a remote area. 20 years ago, I met up with another rider touring the canyon. We found out that about 10 miles outside of Grand Canyon Village was open range. Free camping. After eating we did the ride out and found a nice secluded site and camped out. Free. I remember seeing a few other bikes and riders doing the same thing. Felt good saving those bucks to buy a few souvenirs. :)

Back