Thread: K1100 RS fork oil

K1100 RS fork oil

Hello all. I ordered a set of wilbers progressive springs from Ted Porter's beemer shop today. Upon looking in my clymer manual, I noted numerous viscosities and weights of fork oil acceptable for use. Unfortunately, I would have to order them online, as they are unavailable to me locally. There is however, a HD dealership right down the road from me. I know that HD uses a lettering system for their oils and that some direct equivalents exist. Do any of you have experience with HD oil in your k bike forks? If so, what did you go with? (Still attempting to find a conversion chart)

Quote Originally Posted by bwoods1100 View Post
    Hello all. I ordered a set of wilbers progressive springs from Ted Porter's beemer shop today. Upon looking in my clymer manual, I noted numerous viscosities and weights of fork oil acceptable for use. Unfortunately, I would have to order them online, as they are unavailable to me locally. There is however, a HD dealership right down the road from me. I know that HD uses a lettering system for their oils and that some direct equivalents exist. Do any of you have experience with HD oil in your k bike forks? If so, what did you go with? (Still attempting to find a conversion chart)
    They may use letters but the bottles in stock use normal SAE numbering. You need a 7.5 or 10 wt SAE fork oil . Go see the dealership and read the bottles. It will be fine.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Sounds good. Thank you Paul.

So real SAE viscosities are too complex for Harley riders to grasp?

FWIW, I've found 7.5 worked best for me.